mc349

Re: Demo Competition?

Sat May 12, 2012 12:09 pm

I was thinking about a having a RaspberryPi demo competition.  So that budding programmers could show off what they can do with the PIs hardware.

Demos would be uploaded to a central site and the community could try them and then vote for their favorite.  There could be some small prizes for the winner(s) but they'd be mainly fighting for the kudos of being voted the best and just the whole fun of showing off what the PI could do.

Obviously there would need to be some rules

e.g.

Size limit,   Must run on standard Debian linux image, must be 1080p,  no copyrighted images / music / profane language + images,  no internet access. etc.   Would we need to worry about trojans / viruses etc?

We'd probably want to wait a while for more PIs to be shipped and if it's successful make it a regular thing  (e.g. twice a year perhaps).

What do other people think about this idea?

cheery

Sat May 12, 2012 12:47 pm

You'd need to provide the debian linux image in question and give exact resolution.

Also I think it's unreasonable to deny internet access. If you worry about trojan/phishing/viruses then ask people to run them in clean linux image and request source code for the demo and check them out before publishing them.

Gert van Loo

Sat May 12, 2012 12:48 pm

I am gong to win that one. I'll write a whopper of a good program and get my 12 year daughter to submit it.

Trevor

Sat May 12, 2012 2:57 pm

Are you talking about the 'demo' scene?

If so have a look at this - http://awards.scene.org/index.php I am sure you can add a category.

Trevor

Sat May 12, 2012 3:24 pm

cheery said:

You'd need to provide the debian linux image in question and give exact resolution.

Also I think it's unreasonable to deny internet access.

No internet, and just a self running SD image would work much better.  That way you are giving a guideline AND you are not restricting people who don't have the Internet available or is limited

mjlally

Sat May 12, 2012 3:57 pm

I think it is an excellent idea.

jbeale

Sat May 12, 2012 4:01 pm

sounds good, would be fun to see what people come up with.  I don't see a problem with no net access, there's no lack of things you can demonstrate without it. Maybe at some point there could be a different category with network.

Chromatix

Sat May 12, 2012 10:46 pm

There's a lot you can do if you just specify "must run on a standard Pi" and have them supply an SD card already loaded.

Later on there can be refinements to allow for traditional "4K/64K" type demos (for example) based on some standard software platform - a chosen vanilla Linux distro, RiscOS, or even a bare-metal program straight from the bootloader. There is much potential scope for cleverness there, especially as the ARM is a very different beast from the x86 or 68K CPUs that demosceners normally work with these days.

The no-internet thing is easy to enforce by simply not plugging in the Ethernet or anything besides a keyboard/mouse to the USB.

I would suggest one further rule: the card must not be configured to overclock or overvolt the R-Pi. This is easy to check and enforce beforehand by mounting the FAT partition via a card reader, and if necessary (or even precautionarily) replacing config.txt.
The key to knowledge is not to rely on people to teach you it.

reiuyi

Sun May 13, 2012 2:00 pm

Chromatix wrote:There's a lot you can do if you just specify "must run on a standard Pi" and have them supply an SD card already loaded.

I would suggest one further rule: the card must not be configured to overclock or overvolt the R-Pi. This is easy to check and enforce beforehand by mounting the FAT partition via a card reader, and if necessary (or even precautionarily) replacing config.txt.
Why the opposition to overclocking when it remains a vanilla raspberry pi? The demo scene has always been notorious for getting the absolute maximum out of the available hardware. Putting the clock to 800mhz should be doable for most raspi boards. 900 and higher will be extremely rare, even more so is 1ghz due to the inability to change core voltage (this is unchangeable, right?). Then again, it doesn't really add that much performance

My amazement when I first saw 64 kilobytes of code creating entire 10-minute films was absolutely amazing! My favourites are still Farb-Rausch and Andromeda Software Development.. Though the demoscene has seen a steady decline in interest the last couple of years (maybe for the same reason Eben is seeing less students with less programming knowledge). Raspberry Pi would be a challenging platform to program on right now with very little details on the videocore and the usage of ARM instead of x86, though nonetheless very much possible

For those who have no idea what this thread is about:
Farbrausch 043 - "Rove" : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_oTQd93eRI&hd=1

Andromeda Software Development - "Lifeforce" : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0OfkJc711A&hd=1

Andromeda Software Development - "Rupture" : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdHaRq7FnDM&hd=1

Farbrausch & Neuro - "Masagin" : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbQhgEJuExY&hd=1

AndrewS

Sun May 13, 2012 5:19 pm

reiuyi wrote:Why the opposition to overclocking when it remains a vanilla raspberry pi?
Because overclocking voids your warranty, and as JamesH keeps pointing out, the chip "remembers" if it's been overclocked.

Dave_G_2

Mon May 14, 2012 3:19 pm

The demo idea is a great one perhaps with different categories such as:

1) Unrestricted - full internet access and overclocking using a Linux Distro
2) Unrestricted - full internet access and overclocking using "bare metal " O.S.
3) Restricted - no internet access, no overclocking using a Linux Distro
4) Restricted - no internet access, no overclocking using "bare metal" O.S.

For categories 1 and 2, a suitable warning should be included warning that overclocking will void
the Raspi warranty.

ArborealSeer

Mon May 14, 2012 3:25 pm

whats the point of internet?

apart from for a 4k demo 'stub' to secretly download more content? :lol:

keep it simple and in line with how things already work in the demoscene.

category 1) no overclocking, any card image you like under 2gig, no internet.
category 2) WILD. whatever you like, overclock the nuts off it, 128gig cards, internet, web cam, kinect etc.

and as someone said, later 4k, 64k if it takes off.

if you want to know more about the demoscene check this out - brand new documentary about the history of the demoscene, its partly focused on the hungarian scene but it really good and most of it doesn't need subtitles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRkZcTg1 ... r_embedded
or as a 1.8gig mkv with subtitles > http://vakondok.com/film/moleman2/Molem ... B_720p.zip
Last edited by ArborealSeer on Mon May 14, 2012 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pi Status > Farnell, Arrived 24/5- RS, Arrived 1/6

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon May 14, 2012 3:32 pm

AndrewS wrote:Because overclocking voids your warranty, and as JamesH keeps pointing out, the chip "remembers" if it's been overclocked.
No. Overclocking is fine. Overvoltage voids warranty.

Ed Raket

Tue May 22, 2012 9:47 pm

fulvio

Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:42 am

This is a brilliant idea!

reiuyi

Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:42 pm

8088 Corruption!

DexOS

Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:21 pm

Lets sort the men from the boys, and go bare metal and 512 byte size limit :lol:
Batteries not included, Some assembly required.

Return to “General programming discussion”