AlphaMarketer

Creating Server For Multi-Location Video Loopers

Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:14 pm

I would like to create some type of server that I can access all the video loopers attached to the back of our TVs in each of our locations. I would like to be able to change out videos from this server and manage the videos from one location. Has anyone done something like this and might be able to share their code? I am not a developer but I am a pretty technical person. The video loopers that we have currently are using Raspberry Pi 3B+.

neilgl

Re: Creating Server For Multi-Location Video Loopers

Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:26 pm

How do the videos get onto the pi 3B+ video loopers? Are they on a network or do you turn up with a USB stick etc.?

dividuum

Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:03 pm

AlphaMarketer wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:14 pm
I would like to create some type of server that I can access all the video loopers attached to the back of our TVs in each of our locations. I would like to be able to change out videos from this server and manage the videos from one location. Has anyone done something like this and might be able to share their code? I am not a developer but I am a pretty technical person. The video loopers that we have currently are using Raspberry Pi 3B+.
What you're looking for is called digital signage. There are multiple commercial products for the Raspberry Pi. It happens that my company offers one as well and can solve your requirements: You can control any number of Pis from a web dashboard. Installation is a lot faster than Raspbian as well as the OS is a lot smaller and optimized for exactly that use case. Have a look at https://info-beamer.com. Let me know if you have any questions.
info-beamer hosted - A user and programmer friendly digital signage platform for the Pi: https://info-beamer.com/hosted

AlphaMarketer

Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:20 pm

neilgl wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:26 pm
How do the videos get onto the pi 3B+ video loopers? Are they on a network or do you turn up with a USB stick etc.?
They currently just have a micro sd card built into them where I install the videos. I would like them to be stored on a network drive though that can push out to the devices.

neilgl

Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:57 pm

Are all the video loopers connected to a WiFI pr cabled network in the building?
How do you copy the new video on to the microSD card (s) - e.g. go to pi, shut it down, take out microsd card, put that in Windows laptop and copy a file to it, or some other method?

AlphaMarketer

Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:55 pm

neilgl wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:57 pm
Are all the video loopers connected to a WiFI pr cabled network in the building?
How do you copy the new video on to the microSD card (s) - e.g. go to pi, shut it down, take out microsd card, put that in Windows laptop and copy a file to it, or some other method?
Currently I have to turn it off pull out the usb drive and add the videos then replace and turn back on. I am thinking I will build them all to have wifi adapters and I would need to code them to be able to pull the files off of a network drive. I can login to each location's network so that would probably be the best bet.

neilgl

Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:44 pm

Ah, if they are pi3B+ (or pi3B) they already have wifi on the pi board. So as a test, set one up to connect to a local lan in a building, then login to that location's network and see if you can log in to that pi.
It seems that the videos are on a USB stick plugged into the pi not a microSD which has the operating system on it?

Return to “General programming discussion”