rickseiden

A better gui text editor?

Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:36 pm

Is there a better gui text editor than leafpad we can use on the RPi for programming C/C++ and even Python? I use Notepad++ on windows, and love it. I would love to see something like that for the RPi. Anyone have any ideas?
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Sleep Mode zZ

Re: A better gui text editor?

Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:03 pm

I don't have experience with Notepad++, but would recommend giving Geany a try.

kirbyman62-2

Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:34 pm

I quite like Gedit personally, though last time I checked I wasn't sure if it worked on the Pi. Just remember to turn the Line Numbers on in Edit > Preferences and it should be at a bit like Notepad++. Geany works to but that contains more stuff such as build and debug, which you may or may not find useful.

antiloquax

Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:42 pm

Vim is excellent, if you are prepared to spend a bit of time learning how to use it.
:mrgreen:

rickseiden

Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:02 pm

kirbyman62-2 wrote:I quite like Gedit personally, though last time I checked I wasn't sure if it worked on the Pi. Just remember to turn the Line Numbers on in Edit > Preferences and it should be at a bit like Notepad++.
Does it do syntax highlighting like Notepad++ and Geany? That's one of the things I miss from IDLE when I use leafpad.

I know, why not just use IDLE? Because I'm transitioning to C/C++ from Python, so I need one solution to rule them all.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

notarat

Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:06 pm

antiloquax wrote:Vim is excellent, if you are prepared to spend a bit of time learning how to use it.

He asked for a good gui text editor not a red hot poker shoved up his bum, and twisted. :lol:

Joe Schmoe

Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:12 pm

notarat wrote:
antiloquax wrote:Vim is excellent, if you are prepared to spend a bit of time learning how to use it.

He asked for a good gui text editor not a red hot poker shoved up his bum, and twisted. :lol:
That would be Emacs.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

rickseiden

Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:50 pm

notarat wrote:

Let's not get into my personal life, now, shall we? :twisted:

tufty

Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:11 pm

M-x inquisition-mode

notarat

Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:11 am

tufty wrote:M-x inquisition-mode
No one expects "M-x inquisition-mode"!

rickseiden

Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:11 pm

Is that a text editor? I googled it, and came up empty.

tufty

Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:17 pm

rickseiden wrote:
Is that a text editor? I googled it, and came up empty.
It's never a good idea to explain jokes, but hey.

There was a comment regarding vi(m) being like a red hot poker up the bum, a rather 'spanish inquisition' concept. But emacs has everything vim does, and more. Emacs modes are conjured up by using <meta>*-x followed by the name of the mode, so it makes sense that you'd use M-x inquisition-mode to get much the same effect.

No, it's not that funny now it's explained. Location joke**

Simon

* <meta> is usually bound to <alt> but can be had using <esc> dead-key combinations (i.e <meta>-x meaning 'press meta and x simultaneously' can also be had by pressing esc then x in sequence)
** you had to be there

rickseiden

Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:21 pm

I wasn't sure if it was a joke or not. Sorry about that.

SN

Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:24 pm

vi

it is blasphemy to use anything else on a unix system ;)

or emacs at a push :lol:

if you want to go real-hardcore then try 'ed' 8-)

footnote: I wrote my very first on-line program on one of these http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJ1jkINFVho in about 1979. The earliest stuff I produced was written with ... biro ... on a coding sheet. The delete/backspace function was implemented in the shape of a bottle of tippex :lol:

so count yourselves lucky chaps that you have a choice :D
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

tufty

Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:50 pm

Aaargh, coding sheets. Back in the days when program input used the postal service, and the edit-compile-debug cycle took over a week. I remember being ecstatic when we got a teletype with tape punch and a 110 baud acoustic coupler.

You've never lived if you've not spilt a 1000+ card deck and had to reorder it by hand while your colleagues laugh, though. Or typed `rm -rf /bin` into a root terminal remoted from the main stock exchange TOPIC feed machine instead of `rm -rf ./bin` on your local development box.

SN

Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:01 pm

For vi/vim
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

stevepdp

Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:51 pm

On Ubuntu I've been learning to get on with Sublime Text. This is unfortunately not available for the Pi, but it's default theme Monokai (which is easy on the eyes) can be replicated easily in gedit by installing this theme from Github into /usr/share/gtksourceview-3.0/styles/ and selecting it in gedit's options.

Here's how it looks on Ubuntu with a simple Python script, it should work fine with Raspbian too:

antiloquax

Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:59 pm

vim.png
vim.png (52.8 KiB) Viewed 30746 times
Well, text editors are very much matter of personal choice ...
You can use Vim with a GUI interface (GVim), but one of the things I like about it is that it will run from the command line, so I can use it when not in an X windows session ...

I found this book very useful when I started using Vim: A Byte of Vim.
There's plenty of information about using Vim as an IDE (yes, it does syntax highlighting, auto-indent etc.)
Here's one useful article: Turning Vim into a Modern Python IDE.
As SN suggests, pretty much ANY UNIX-like system will have Vi, and once you know Vim, you can certainly get by in Vi.

f32mark

Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:27 pm

SN wrote:vi

it is blasphemy to use anything else on a unix system ;)
Wimp! Shirley all proper programmers are still using sed?

SN

Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:18 pm

sed is disqualified as it does not have a gui ;)

Wizard

Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:40 pm

I know some people joke about vi but many of us have used nothing else for the last 25+ years and no other lightweight editor even come close to the power of vi.
When something's gone tits up and nothing works - vi always come to the rescue!

Me and a friend had a challenge in the late 90's and we decided to code a whole project in vi - he in c++ and me in ASA210 and Plex-C and after 16 months and a few hundred thousand lines of code we both declared ourselfs as winners since we only used vi! :D

vi is easy and you learn the basics in under two minutes but if you've never used x3270 or vt100 terminals, perhaps you won't see the benefit of editors like vi.

I still use both cat and sed when creating new files but that's only because I'm used to it since the 80's.

If you are going to really learn an editor well - pick one that's platform independent and lightweight.
emacs -nw runs well in an xterm and if I remember correct it also runs under dos.

Happy editing and remember: The choice of editor shouldn't matter, it's what you type that matters!
Raspberry Pi - finally a worthy replacement for A500!!!

SN

Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:45 pm

As an aside 'crontab -e' throws me into some bizarre little editor I know not what its name is rather than vi

You can change this to what you need by setting up the shell variable EDITOR or VISUAL to point to what you need (as opposed to the default which is /usr/bin/editor which is symlinked to /etc/alternatives/editor which is in turn symlinked to /bin/nano - aha theres the name of this little editor...)

Chipazzo

Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:27 am

Sleep Mode zZ wrote:I don't have experience with Notepad++, but would recommend giving Geany a try.

So glad I found this early on. Thx
Just getting started

SgtStroopwafel

Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:06 pm

https://atom.io
A hackable text editor for the 21st Century

Atom is a text editor that's modern, approachable, yet hackable to the core—a tool you can customize to do anything but also use productively without ever touching a config file.

Full-featured, right out of the box

Cross-platform editing
Atom works across operating systems. You can use it on OS X, Windows, or Linux.

Built-in package manager
Search for and install new packages or start creating your own—all from within Atom.

Smart autocompletion
Atom helps you write code faster with a smart, flexible autocomplete.

File system browser
Easily browse and open a single file, a whole project, or multiple projects in one window.

Multiple panes
Split your Atom interface into multiple panes to compare and edit code across files.

Find and replace
Find, preview, and replace text as you type in a file or across all your projects.

topguy

Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:15 pm

Last time I checked there was no ARM/Raspberry binaries of Atom ( or Sublime for that matter ) and I dont see any now either. Not in your post even.

Return to “General programming discussion”