Liuqahs15

Game Programming Questions

Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:12 am

Hey guys, I've just ordered a Raspberry Pi, and I have a few questions after reading around on the forums a bit. I'd love it if you could address a few: (My background is about a year and a half of C++ and a few personal projects I've coded myself.)

1. I saw on another thread about Qt (a nokia C++ GUI framework) that for some reason programs that use PNG's with transparent backgrounds won't run. Furthermore, there's a very small limit to how many images your app can have loaded up at any given time. Is there any truth to this at all? That seems like a pretty crippling thing for a game programmer.

2. Is the Raspberry Pi version of linux similar enough to standard linux that I could use a C graphics API that was programmed for linux (like Allegro game library) on it? If not, is there some provided C/C++ graphics API I could work with to write games with on my own?

3. I read on Engadget that the Revision 2 has about the graphical capability of the original Xbox. Later, I read on a forum post that there's an PSX emulator for the Pi, but I never found any other information or proof that such a thing exists. Is any of this true? I've seen that some old version of OpenGL is supported, but I'm not quite sure understand the capabilities of this thing.

Thanks to anyone who just gives this a read. I know some of these questions are dumb, but that's okay. They're kind of the beginner "I don't even know what questions to ask" questions.

BlackJack

Re: Game Programming Questions

Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:04 pm

@Liuqahs15: Ad 1.: Source please. And which Qt? I mean which Linux distribution we are talking about? I see no reason why the number of PNGs should be limited by something other than (virtual) memory.

Ad 2.: The Raspbian distribution is based on Debian Wheezy. SDL works — it is used via Pygame by the included example games. It is not accellerated by the GPU yet. I guess Allegro should work too. OpenGLES is supported by the GPU.

Ad 3.: It is not an old version of OpenGL but a version for embedded systems, typically found on smart phones and similar devices and what WebGL is based on: http://www.khronos.org/opengles/

Code: Select all

while not self.asleep():
    sheep += 1

Liuqahs15

Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:49 pm

First of all, thanks a lot for such a helpful response. So here's a link the forum post, and here's the exact post by the OP. I do suspect now, reading it again, that what he meant was that DexOS doesn't support more than 10 images, and it wasn't some issue with the Pi itself. Also, below is the specific quote:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 67&t=22123
The DexOS within the Bare Metal category is a good choice and I have tested it. But since we're using alot of images for our application it doesn't support more than 10 images and gives errors when compiling. It also doesn't support PNG images with transparent background which is what we have
Anyway that's all the questions I have for now. Thanks again!

gtg-vpo

Possible NEW subject: VPO

Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:59 pm

Hello Raspberry PI,

I saw the Raspberry PI in the current issue (Dec '12, page 64) of Popular Science, and was pleasantly surprised.

My Question: Has anyone used- or explored the use of- a Raspberry PI in a Virtual Pipe Organ, (VPO)?

I am building a Classical VPO using M/S Windows 7, Home Edition. Some VPO software is written for the Linux environment, and claims Linux to be more responsive than Windows.

I would appreciate some comments.

gtg.vpo

DexOS

Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:58 pm

Liuqahs15 wrote:First of all, thanks a lot for such a helpful response. So here's a link the forum post, and here's the exact post by the OP. I do suspect now, reading it again, that what he meant was that DexOS doesn't support more than 10 images, and it wasn't some issue with the Pi itself. Also, below is the specific quote:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 67&t=22123
The DexOS within the Bare Metal category is a good choice and I have tested it. But since we're using alot of images for our application it doesn't support more than 10 images and gives errors when compiling. It also doesn't support PNG images with transparent background which is what we have
Anyway that's all the questions I have for now. Thanks again!
DexOS supports loading as many images as you want, but you have to give the assembler enough memory to assembly a file of that size, eg: if each bmp image is 1mb in size and you have over 10 of them, thats over 10mb, which needs more memory than the default memory setting of only 16384.
Batteries not included, Some assembly required.

Return to “General programming discussion”