ImpactMG725

Using Pi to auto shutdown printer?

Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:01 am

Ok so to begin I am a newb with Linux but have some programming experience with web design (html, javascript, php, etc.) and limited experience with C++. So I bought a 3d printer and wanted to untether with a Pi. Easy enough. Then it bugged me that I had two things plugged in to run it. My genius idea was a PC power supply because they are 12v and 5v. Well other people have done it so I guess I was late to the party but I went one step ahead of where I had originally planned of just having a switch turn on the power supply to using the GPIO pins on the Pi turn on the power supply. It's working wonderfully after banging my head against the wall a few times to try to decipher Linux from some vague tutorials that assumed you had more experience with the subject. So now I am to a point I had another brilliant idea, I want my Pi to now command the printer to power off when the print is finished. I use the command "gpio write # 1" to turn the power supply on and "gpio write # 0" to turn it off which I have written into the menu on OctpoPi. Is there a way I can have OctoPi run the command "gpio write # 0" at a set time after the print is finished? Let is stay powered on for say 5 minutes to use the fans to quickly cool the extruder then run the command to turn off the PC power supply to power off the printer.

Return to “General programming discussion”