AnhDan

How to create a professional GUI on Raspberry

Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:32 am

Hello Everyone,

I am new to raspberry and my question: Can I create a GUI on Raspberry PI which looks as beautiful/professional as a Windows application without occupying too much the system's computing resource? Is there anybody successful in doing that?

I am planing to write an image processing application on Raspberry PI 3, and need a nice interface for users to interact with. The performance of the processing algorithms is of the highest priority, so a professional appearance but light GUI is very important to me. I have searched on the Internet for this problem but most of the tutorials show GUIs like cartoon...

Furthermore, what is the best library to create a GUI using C++ on raspberry?

Thanks in advance,

topguy

Re: How to create a professional GUI on Raspberry

Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:06 pm

which looks as beautiful/professional as a Windows application
Considering the amount of different windows applications out there, this doesnt really tell us anything.
Furthermore, what is the best library to create a GUI using C++ on raspberry?
"Best" is a matter of opinion and what the library is meant for and used for, but its hard to ignore Qt5.

The Traveler

Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:40 pm

I'd suggest you write your image processing application first and do some performance bench marking then worry about a GUI. Image processing is notorious for eating processor cycles. The most "professional looking GUI" you can make won't matter if your application runs like a snail. Your putting the cart before the horse ...
Last edited by The Traveler on Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Retired IT professional, C programmer and "beardie weirdie".
RPi interests: Developing an Infinite Improbability Drive
“Thinking outside of the box allows you to get rewards outside of your reach.” Matshona Dhliwayo

gkaiseril

Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:54 pm

You can create your own themes to add to the lxe desktop. Make Raspberry Pi look like Windows 10 is an example of what can be done.

Or you could write your own GUI.
f u cn rd ths, u cn gt a gd jb n cmptr prgrmmng.

gkreidl

Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:59 pm

QT and GTK should both fit your needs.
Personally I would recommend using GTK+3.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Return to “General programming discussion”