Herbieridesagain

Automated Presentation

Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:03 pm

I am not a stranger to UNIX however I am struggling to get open office impress to run automatically on powering up the rpi.

I tried adding startx;soffice -show pp.odp to a script and then adding that to rc.d using update rc.d but it doesn't have the desired effect.

Also tried adding it to the .bash_profile but that didn't work either.

Any ideas please?

bredman

Re: Automated Presentation

Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:42 am

You mentioned that you created the file .bash_profile. Read the comments at the top of the file .profile carefully. If .bash_profile exists, .profile will not run, so your path will not be set, so the path to soffice will be unknown. I recommend deleting .bash_profile and add your command to the end of .profile.

There are several steps needed to launch a graphical application.

1. You need to boot into a graphical runlevel. Edit /etc/inittab to change the initial runlevel from 2 to 5.

2. You need to automatically login a user. Edit /etc/inittab and change the line in /etc/inittab that looks like this:
1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty --noclear 38400 tty1
to look like this (YOURUSERNAME will probably be pi)
1:2345:respawn:/bin/login -f YOURUSERNAME tty1 </dev/tty1 >/dev/tty1 2>&1

3. You need to add "soffice -show pp.odp &" to the end of .profile for the user.

Herbieridesagain

Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:55 pm

Ok thanks but it still does not work.

The .proflle does not seem to execute on boot as nothing happens unless I manually open a terminal and source the .proflie.
i.e.
. .proflie

How come the .profile is not executing on booting into the graphical interface?

BlackJack

Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:53 pm

@Herbieridesagain: Because that file is executed when the user logs in, not when the system is booted. See point 2 of bredman.

Code: Select all

while not self.asleep():
    sheep += 1

Herbieridesagain

Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:39 pm

Yes I have applied the settings in the inittab but although the process appears to have run i.e. it appears in the ps -ef process list, it des not display.

I can't believe that some one else hasn't tried this, as it seems such an obvious thing to use a rpi for!

Bad Wolf

Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:27 pm

If you are using GNOME shell, you can add start up applications by invoking gnome-session-properties.
In the dialogue box, add the entry for the application you want to use

If you are using XFCE, open xfce4-autostart-editor and add any application you want to use.
To a person with a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Return to “General programming discussion”