thunderboy03

I need some help on a minimal OS project

Tue May 29, 2018 7:56 pm

I need some help on a project. I'm trying to setup a operating system with nothing on it but a program for drawing and maybe a program to show all of the saved pictures from the drawing program. I plan on at attaching the pi to a drawing tablet with a screen to make a portable drawing tablet.

B.Goode

Re: I need some help on a project

Wed May 30, 2018 11:06 am

Welcome to the Raspberry Pi forums.

What help do you need? What have you tried, or where have you got stuck?

One possible approach would be to work with a standard installation of Raspbian Stretch with the Raspberry Pi Desktop in the first instance, as a convenient testbed for making sure you can interface the drawing tablet and view the results.

Using that experience you could then investigate 'minimal' Operating Systems such as Raspbian Lite, DietPi or TinyCore Linux for the final 'product'. But many minimal system start out being command-line only, so you will have to add appropriate graphical output support.

hippy

Re: I need some help on a minimal OS project

Wed May 30, 2018 11:31 am

Rather than having an OS running a single app with all the overhead of even a trimmed-down OS you might want to consider an 'application platform' something which is a more specofic solution for what you want to do.

Ultibo may be worth taking a look at and I believe there is a sketch-like demo example which allows a mouse to draw on the screen or something like that -

https://github.com/ultibohub/Examples/t ... awing/RPi2

The Traveler

Re: I need some help on a minimal OS project

Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:41 pm

I'm trying to setup a operating system with nothing on it
Not a trivial thing to do. Why? Because even simple drawing programs can have many dependencies AND it generally requires a window manager, with its dependencies to run in. My suggestion: grab a recent Raspbian image and then start hacking away at what you don't need. The LXDE window manager is pretty lightweight and with careful attention, you can strip down and remove applications you don't need. Be forewarned however, applications can and do share library dependencies so be prepared to keep notes, break things do reloads until you get an idea of how it all works.

Cheers and good luck.
Retired IT professional, C programmer and "beardie weirdie".
RPi interests: Developing an Infinite Improbability Drive
“Thinking outside of the box allows you to get rewards outside of your reach.” Matshona Dhliwayo

Return to “General programming discussion”