mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: VS17 Help

Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:04 pm

It seems this topic has derailed a bit... :mrgreen:
Hopefully the original topic was fully discussed...

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:28 am

Yes, as fully as it should/could have been.

This is just pictures of cats and cake recipes.

@jahboater, I wonder if one of the other MX switches may be closer to the M-type, maybe the green or brown.

My keyboard is also a Filco Majestouch 2, although the keytops come from WASD. If I'd known about them sooner I could have probably saved some money. I can't stand black keyboards; I can't see the keys unless I have a lamp shining down on them. They are a triumph of style over function, which they then fudge by putting lights under the keys.

To pop back a level, I seem to remember I've done some work related to the 3270 a long time ago in a job far, far away. There was no terminal involved, but I had to implement the protocol on an embedded system that was pretending to be one.

jahboater

Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:48 am

rurwin wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:28 am
To pop back a level, I seem to remember I've done some work related to the 3270 a long time ago in a job far, far away. There was no terminal involved, but I had to implement the protocol on an embedded system that was pretending to be one.
I used one for about three years in the early 80's. Most people used emulations connected over a slow network. As a systems programmer, I was lucky to get a real 3270 directly connected to the mainframe, so it was very fast - I wrote a mean game of life for it :)

Good to hear from someone who appreciates a decent mechanical keyboard!

Heater

Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:57 pm

So what actually is the problem here?

Between people like me pointing out how silly it is to rely on single vendor solutions and jamesh flying off the handle and calling us "idiots" because we say that, nobody has addressed our OP's (jjames01) problem.

Regardless of IDE there is a command being run here that fails:

Code: Select all

c:/sysgcc/raspberry/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-linux-gnueabihf/6/../../../../arm-linux-gnueabihf/bin/ld.exe: cannot find -l-Wl,--rpath=$ORIGIN
Let's ignore the complexity of the path there but at the end of the day VS is trying to run ld.exe with an option "-l-Wl,--rpath=$ORIGIN"

A quick look at the man page for ld tells us that the "-l" option to ld tells it to link a library.

For example you want to use "libxyz.so" so you would have the option "-l xyz" on your ld command.

What happened to the "lib" part and the ".so" part I hear some ask. Well, that is Unix style born in the depths of history.

Clearly our OP's "-l-Wl,--rpath=$ORIGIN" is telling ld to link the library "-Wl,--rpath=$ORIGIN". Which is of course gibberish and results in ld saying "cannot find...".

I am confident that deep in the bowels of the monster that is VS there are dialogs where one can set paths to libraries and various compiler/linker options.

That "$ORIGIN" bothers me. That is clearly a place holder for an option in VS that has not been set properly. Whatever it is.

To throw out some ideas here:

1) Never use file names with spaces. That will confuse Unix tools no end.

2) Never use uppercase in file names. Or at least be sure you have specified the case correctly. Windows does not care but Unix does.

jahboater

Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:21 pm

Heater wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:57 pm
Between people like me pointing out how silly it is to rely on single vendor solutions and jamesh flying off the handle and calling us "idiots" because we say that, nobody has addressed our OP's (jjames01) problem.
To be fair, I think a solution similar to this was posted early on (3rd post) by @rurwin.

Heater

Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:42 pm

Yes indeed. I was just trying to analyse the situation a bit further. Like what is -l for the ld linker and so on.

I have not had to use VS for a decade or so now so I have no idea how VS constructed that command.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:36 am

The -Wl... flag is for gcc -- it specifies a set of options to pass to the linker. It may be that the OP tried to pass that option by specifying it as a library file, hence the -l prefix. I've never used the targeted compilation stuff in VS, so I don't know how it works, but I imagine MS would try to make it seamless and hence jam it into their existing structure with a GUI selection for every option. That's not ideal considering how many options gcc has and they will have ignored loads of them. I would hope that there was a catchall "other options" text box, but I wouldn't trust MS to think of doing that.

DougieLawson

Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:42 pm

That's the reason I asked the OP to post his code so I can try it on my VS2017 installation.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

Return to “General programming discussion”