Mar

Raspberry Pi jukebox

Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:46 pm

I wish to make a jukebox out of my pie. But what I really would like is to be able to customize the player. I am a windows developer and have not done any coding on linux. I am going to add a touchscreen but I was looking for suggestions for what kind of programming tools anyone might recommend. I dont care if the language is one I know or not. Also what might be important is any open source players.

I have a few hundred CDs that I want to put on there and if would be nice to organize them into artists and albums. I would also like to show the graphic from the album of the song thats playing

Any suggestions would be appreciated

-rst-

Re: Raspberry Pi jukebox

Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:33 pm

Take a look at:
- Qt with C
or
- Kivy with Python

On Raspberry Pi the ready made player to check first would be omxplayer (the above may have their own player components too).
http://raspberrycompote.blogspot.com/ - Low-level graphics and 'Coding Gold Dust'

HankB

Re: Raspberry Pi jukebox

Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:06 am

One thing you might consider is players that are organized as front end/backend setups. I'm using one of mine as a headless jukebox running MPD. I run the front end on a different PC but it could just as easily be run on the Pi.

I suppose the protocol is reasonably well described. I haven't looked. You could develop a front end to meet your particular needs and use mpd as the back end.

If you find that MPD on the back end constrains what you want to do on the front end, you could either tweak that or write a new backend from scratch or incorporate the full functionality in the front end.

As for toolkits... I'm afraid I'm not going to be much help. I suspect the more featureful IDEs may not run well on the Pi. You might need to fall back to the 'old school' IDE of a decent editor, make and get comfortable with a command line debugger or multiple output statements for debugging.

Enjoy!

Return to “General programming discussion”