Don 100

.iso ? .img

Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:18 pm

When trying to set up Rasbian in Virtual box it asks for an .iso file but I can only download a .img file or the otherway about asks for an image when I can only find a .iso

Just an aside - is this really a beginners forum, it seems to remarkably full of jargon etc which can only belong to those who have spent many hours trying to get things to work - not beginners.

felix123

Re: .iso ? .img

Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:20 pm

To answer your aside, this is the beginners' programming forum. You might find the http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=26 Basic setup and usage forum more to your liking.

PIstolero
Location: paradise city, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty

Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:21 pm

You can't start an ARM image in virtualbox, only in Qemu. Here is everything you need:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... =26&t=5743

Jim JKla

Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:24 pm

iso is an image but animage of a CD or DVD there is .img files for download over on the Raspberry Download page

When you think about it is the logical place to look. ;)

I am sorry for the responses of my fellow Geeks the do all so often forget what it's like to be on that Noob end of the spectrum.

Some day if you stick with it you will move along the spectrum towards being a geek as long as you remember your roots you will write good copy.

Please forgive the geeks but it does no harm to remind them they are producing gibberish for the noobs
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

redhawk

Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:21 pm

I don't believe VirtualBox supports ARM instructions only Qemu does.

Richard S.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:48 pm

Don 100 wrote:When trying to set up Rasbian in Virtual box it asks for an .iso file but I can only download a .img file or the otherway about asks for an image when I can only find a .iso

Just an aside - is this really a beginners forum, it seems to remarkably full of jargon etc which can only belong to those who have spent many hours trying to get things to work - not beginners.
The basic answer is that you cannot do that. If you want to set up a Linux in Virtual box on a PC, try an ISO of Debian or Ubuntu (you can download these). If you actually want to run Raspbian on a PC, you need to use QEMU, not virtual box, as Raspian is built for Arm processors, not x86 (as in your normal PC). See the links posted above for more details on these options.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

Don 100

Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:21 pm

Thank you for your considered replies. I will try them all out.

I think I am in the Noob- Noob category.

Don

Joe Schmoe

Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:33 pm

Just to clarify this, there are two generally accepted ways to setup Pi emulation under Windows:

1) (The easy way) Download the version of QEMU that is compiled to run directly under Windows. Although not complete (and quite possibly out-of-date), I got a good start on the process by starting here: http://www.smallbulb.net/2012/225-emula ... spberry-pi

2) (The hard way - but it may have some benefits in the long run) Download and install some kind of virtual 86 emulator (VMWare, VirtualBox, etc) on your Windows system. Then install some version of Linux to run under that emulator. Get Linux configured and stuff to your liking. Then download the version of QEMU compiled for Linux and get that installed and running under Linux (in the virtual machine). Then run the Pi emulation under QEMU (under Linux under the virual machine under Windows).
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

Jim JKla

Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:20 pm

Don 100 wrote:Thank you for your considered replies. I will try them all out.

I think I am in the Noob- Noob category.

Don
Enjoy it while you can :D
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

iby

Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:35 pm

just downloaded image

RaspberryPie-image.vmdk

which judging by extension is meant for WMWare, but I am using VirtualBox.
So when download completed, I just double-clicked on image file, VirtualBox did conversion and voila ...

aidanm79

Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:19 am

iby,

Where did you find the vdmk file version?

Thanks

Return to “General programming discussion”