lammyoflyd

Best way to get code onto pi

Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:33 am

ive been through a couple of projects now and was wondering what everyone else uses to get code that they have written on another device onto the pi?

personally i use filezilla to sftp into the pi and transfer the files, however this is slightly hit and miss and wondered if anybody had a better, quicker or easier solution?

klricks

Re: Best way to get code onto pi

Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:17 am

Pretty much just the same as you would using any other computer / device.

- Install and configure Samba on the RPi and make a network share.
- If only a few files then SSH into the RPi with Putty and use copy & paste.
- Transfer using a USB 'stick'
- Using a web based account attach files and email to yourself.
etc etc.....
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

enedil

Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:01 pm

Maybe setup a Git server?
Give Gogs a try. You can leave it working on your Pi, and just sync changes on your desktop.
- What Can a Thoughtful Man Hope for Mankind on Earth, Given the Experience of the Past Million Years?
- Nothing.

Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:12 pm

lammyoflyd wrote:ive been through a couple of projects now and was wondering what everyone else uses to get code that they have written on another device onto the pi?
personally i use filezilla to sftp into the pi and transfer the files, however this is slightly hit and miss and wondered if anybody had a better, quicker or easier solution?
Very similar to what I do except I create a (traditional) "tarball" (ie. tar & gzip) first resulting in a single file to be transferred which can be checksummed before and after transfer if needed (and have not had any "hit & miss" issues).
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, 2xB2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, and a A+) but Buster on the P4B's & P400. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

Return to “General programming discussion”