feverish

Directory layout Raspi2

Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:18 am

Could someone please point me to a tutorial or some such showing the 'approved' directory index for Raspbian Jessie with explanations of what sort of files go where and why?
If discrimination is not challenged then we are effectively in collusion with the perpetrators of such behaviour:-Oxford dictionaries

ghans

Re: Directory layout Raspi2

Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:35 am

May i ask why you want to know that ? Are you installing software form source ?

Ayway , this might or might not answer your question :
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debi ... hy.en.html
https://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-ma ... s-2.3.html

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

feverish

Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:52 am

Sure. I am wanting to try out what seems to be an interesting python app posted in the forums from a forum member. He is not concerned about which directories I use for the various files in his .zip file which contains them but I'd like to conform to the norm is possible. I've tried several searches for the information both in the forum search and on the greater web but have obviously not been looking in the 'right' places as no usable results have come up. I have a couple of small apps I wrote using python on an older Raspi 1 but prefer to tidy up things on a new Raspi2 under Raspbian Jessie.
If discrimination is not challenged then we are effectively in collusion with the perpetrators of such behaviour:-Oxford dictionaries

ghans

Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:47 am

Can i have a link to said software ?

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

feverish

Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:10 pm

ghans

Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:44 am

That software does not seem to require installation per-se.
I usually have subfolders in my home directory with one-off projects , so i would just extract it into the respective subfolder.

If the author of the library was inclined , he could either offer a debian package or prepare it for pip (or better , publish it to PyPi)
because that would certainly make life easier for users.

ghans

feverish

Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:34 am

Thank you, particularly for your patience in providing such clear guidance. For me, this has been a good lesson learned.

dddomodossola

Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:16 pm

Hi ghans,

I'm the author of that library. I have not planned to package the library in an installer.
I made it lightweight as you can make a copy and include the sources in each software you will do. In this case you can personalize different aspects of the GUI coerently with the specific software.

feverish

Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:57 pm

And I did a successful test with it yesterday, which worked exactly as you specified. Both of you have been immensely helpful to an oldbie. :-)

ghans

Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:07 am

@ddomodossola
I can see where you're coming from. Perhaps something along the lines of "just drop the files into your project etc." or
"use the auto-generated github download link to get the files" could be added to the README / Tutorial.
I'd do it , after i get my head wrapped around Github pull requests ... :P

ghans

dddomodossola

Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:02 pm

Hi ghans,

Thank you for your suggestion. I will write it in the readme file ;)

Return to “General programming discussion”