Widget101

Whats the best way to create games on the Pi?

Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:26 pm

Hi there,

Just picked up a Raspberry Pi (not the brand new 4-core version!) with the intention of using it to program some retro-style games. The whole system kindof takes me back to the excitement of my ZX81 days (yes, I'm that old! - just!)

Thinking along the lines of 3D Monster Maze / Manic Miner / Starquake / Dynamite Dan (general flip screen collect this and that games).
Am wondering what's the best way of doing this is, in terms of language, graphics handling, etc.

I have quite a bit of games programming experience using the like of darkbasic pro, glbasic, blitz, etc but have never used Linux, RISC (despite still owning an A3000) or Python.

I've gone with the recommended install and have Python as an installed language but, as its interpreted rather than compiled I'm wondering whether it would be quick enough for a platformer?

Any help would be appreciated - I'm not looking to create the 'next big thing' just come up with something playable and have some fun learning as part of the process.

Many thanks! :)

scotty101

Re: Whats the best way to create games on the Pi?

Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:26 am

Python with PyGame is plenty fast enough to create some simple platform games.

The official website has some tutorials https://pygame.org/wiki/tutorials
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

Widget101

Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:52 pm

Hi Scotty,

Thanks for the response! Looks like a good source of info. I'm going to run through the tutorials and see what I can come up with.

Many thanks, :)

toxibunny

Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:53 pm

Yeah, for simple stuff like what you're talking about, python and pygame will do the job, and there are plenty of tutorials about.

It is an interpreted language though, and the original raspi isn't particularly fast, so you're not going to have an abundance of CPU power - but wonders can be done with small optimisations and a known target...

There's another library called 'pi3d' which uses the GPU to do some cool tricks, both 3d and 2d. Might be worth checking that out, too. :)
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...

DavidS

Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:35 am

Widget101 wrote:Hi there,

Just picked up a Raspberry Pi (not the brand new 4-core version!) with the intention of using it to program some retro-style games. The whole system kindof takes me back to the excitement of my ZX81 days (yes, I'm that old! - just!)

Thinking along the lines of 3D Monster Maze / Manic Miner / Starquake / Dynamite Dan (general flip screen collect this and that games).
Am wondering what's the best way of doing this is, in terms of language, graphics handling, etc.

I have quite a bit of games programming experience using the like of darkbasic pro, glbasic, blitz, etc but have never used Linux, RISC (despite still owning an A3000) or Python.

I've gone with the recommended install and have Python as an installed language but, as its interpreted rather than compiled I'm wondering whether it would be quick enough for a platformer?

Any help would be appreciated - I'm not looking to create the 'next big thing' just come up with something playable and have some fun learning as part of the process.

Many thanks! :)
Just do as you would on any platform, write it in a good fast compiled language, and tune it with some assembly where there are bottlenecks to the speed.

For the language there is FreeBASIC (fits into your experience with various BASIC variants), or on RISC OS compiled BBC BASIC V (using !ABC). There is also C (and its descendants), !Charm, etc.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

gigapouch

Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:59 am

If you're a beginner, I would start with Scratch. Then when you know Scratch really well, a great language to learn next is Python, and then Pygame.

Return to “General programming discussion”