GilchristT

Yocto newbie, is what I want to achieve realistic? (gpiozero and tvservice)

Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:24 pm

As per the subject line I'm a newbie at Yocto. I've downloaded the required software, built and written a few sample images and tweaked an image a bit and that's all worked fine.

However, it looks like I'm going to have to venture outside the nice safe confines of the prepackaged recipes. My main requirement is that I need to include the 'tvservice' application (I need to be able to switch between HDMI and Composite Video in my application) and I'd also like to use gpiozero to avoid re-writing code.

I'm not asking for anyone to show me how to do this (although if anyone wants to I'll be just fine with that :D ) but I'm just trying to get a feel for what's practical for someone who still needs training wheels?

Needing tvservice in a Yocto build is probably a bit specific but the fact that I can't seem to find a gpiozero recipe for Yocto suggests to me that it isn't going to be that simple?

Any feedback welcome.

tommy

GilchristT

Re: Yocto newbie, is what I want to achieve realistic? (gpiozero and tvservice)

Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:08 pm

OK, solved the tvservice issue. Simply a matter of adding the 'userland' package to the minimal image config :-)

epoch1970

Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:25 pm

Buildroot is a possibly simpler alternative.

Another option could be pi-gen if you want to stick with a binary distribution (and Raspbian).

Jumpnow has IMHO excellent write-ups on using Buildroot and Yocto with a Pi for real projects that include custom builds. You could take a look and contrast the 2 environments.
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

GilchristT

Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:37 am

Thanks for that. I had viewed the Jumpnow pages and you are correct, they're a great starting point.

Yocto is probably overkill for what I need to do but I have another project on the go that will probably need me to use it so I thought this would be a good learning opportunity.

That said, I've taken your advice and given Buildroot another go. I'm making much quicker progress with it. I may go back to Yocto but it's making more sense to learn what I need on Buildroot then see if I need to make the jump.

Thanks again

Return to “General programming discussion”