JamesTheAwesomeDude

7-zip build dependencies/instructions?

Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:04 am

Okay, I love 7-zip, and wanted it on my Pi, so I went to try to find some Linux ARM binaries, but... nothing.

I'd like to know the proper method to compile 7-zip on the raspberry pi, and, (if necessary,) the steps to integrate it into Xarchiver ('cause 7-zip for Linux is cmd-only, and I like a GUI every once in a while..)

I've already got the basic concept of software compiling down, and I've actually managed to compile the Hiawatha webserver into an armhf debian package, so basically, I just need to know what I need to install to build this, and what command I need to run on the extracted sources.

(P.S., I've reinstalled raspbian since I compiled Hiawatha, so you'll need to list *all* the build dependencies, even ones that seem obvious... I'm a little new to building things from source, and I ALWAYS have terrible luck at compiling stuff, unless step-by-step instructions are given...)
Hiawatha webserver 9.1 Debian armhf package! Run a small website on your Pi!
http://bit.ly/HiawathaPi

spec1alk

Re: 7-zip build dependencies/instructions?

Tue May 14, 2013 12:53 am

I was able to do this with the following steps (more or less):

1. Download the source tar from here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/p7zip/f ... t/download
2. tar jxvf p7zip_9.20.1_src_all.tar.bz2
3. cd p7zip_9.20.1/
4. make
5. sudo ./install.sh
6. 7za

Note that the "make" command, which compiles the 7za binary took a while. I didn't time it, but it seemed like ~15 minutes.

DirkS

Tue May 14, 2013 1:39 am

So you're running Raspbian?
p7zip bnary package *is* available in the repo and according to the package info xarchiver should support it.

gr.
Dirk

stu232

Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:08 pm

OMG Dirk, I wish I had read your reply before following the above reply, it would have given me back 20 minutes of my life!

timbald

Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:37 pm

If you want the 7za version of the command line (read differences section on https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/p7zip ) then you have to download source and compile.

As of today, when I sudo apt-get install p7zip 'd the repository version then it only installed the 7zr tool, which doesn't include the -p command line option for password protecting the archive.No doubt other stuff is missing too.

Hope this helps

MrMeowington

Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:57 pm

Sorry for the bump, but these instructions are still relevant as of late 2018, and I just want to add one more piece of information.

If you're looking for Xarchiver integration only, sudo apt-get install p7zip should work just fine for opening .7z files.
However, if you get an error when trying to extract a .7z file saying that 7za could not be found, you'll also need to compile p7zip from source (see above replies).
To code, or not to code...
That is the question.

jahboater

Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:51 pm

For interest,
xz is widely available as standard now.
It compresses better than 7z and its usage is similar to gzip.

DirkS

Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:54 pm

MrMeowington wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:57 pm
However, if you get an error when trying to extract a .7z file saying that 7za could not be found, you'll also need to compile p7zip from source (see above replies).
Maybe you need to install p7zip-full: https://packages.debian.org/stretch/p7zip-full
The dependent package, p7zip, provides 7zr, a light version of 7za, and p7zip, a gzip-like wrapper around 7zr.

Return to “General discussion”