wornoutsjg

Re: RPI RTL-SDR server: Segmentation fault.

Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:46 am

To answer my own question in case anyone else has this problem I did:
sudo yum install libusbx-devel
and the installation then found libusb-1.0 and everything else installed correctly....

ptamike

Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:15 pm

The 16/2/15 release of Raspbian fixes the libusb problems so there's no need to use Pidora for RTL-Dongle streaming.

roop

Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:32 pm

Hi,

I still got the same error
All packages are updated to the latest version (Raspian).

I am not quite sure which libusb needs to be installed and up-to-date.
"apt-cache search libusb" shows 4 different libs:

libusb-0.1-4 - Userspace USB-Programmierbibliothek
libusb-1.0-0 - Userspace USB-Programmierbibliothek
libusb-1.0-0-dev - USB-Programmierbibliothek im Userspace - Entwicklungsdateien
libusb-dev - USB-Programmierbibliothek im Userspace - Entwicklungsdateien

Do I need to recompile rtl-sdr to fix the issue?

Thanks a lot!

ptamike

Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:32 pm

Solving the rtl-sdr Segmentation error on Raspbian (16-2-2015)

The problem appears to linked with the 11.1 version of libusb-1.0 that is used in the current Raspbian build. Upgrading to the latest version, 19.1, overcomes the problem. The following procedure upgrades libusb-1.0 to the 19.1 release.

1 – First step is to add the Raspbian testing release, Jessie, to the apt sources.
2 - Type: sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list
3 - Add this line to the sources.list: deb http://archive.raspbian.org/raspbian jessie main
4 – Hit ctl-X followed by Y then Return to save the changes.
5 – Update the chahe by typing: sudo apt-get update
6 – Now install the latest libusb-1.0, this will come from the Jessie release and take a while to install. When asked about re-starting services, say yes.
7 – Type: sudo apt-get install libusb-1.0
8 – That’s it and you should be able to start and stop the IQ stream without problems.

ptamike

Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:22 am

Roop - Your best bet is to open a terminal session and enter: sudo yum install -y libusb-1.0-0
That will install the latest libusb and should be all you need. You will probably have to repeat the rtl-sdr build process as libusb is a dependency.

The alternative is to move away from the Pidora OS and flash a card with the latest Raspbian build. You can then use the instructions in my previous post or here: (http://photobyte.org/rtl-sdr-segmentation-error-solved/) to update to the latest libusb-1.0-0. I've done that for my system and also added an auto start that runs rtl_tcp on boot if there's a network connection.
Details of that can be found here: http://photobyte.org/auto-start-rtl-sdr ... available/

roop

Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:22 pm

Ahh thank you.

It works almost perfectly with Raspbian and the libusb from jessie.

Unfortunately the stream always becomes one big glitch.
No exception is thrown.

I'm using SDR# with 0.9 MSPS.

Any ideas?

7K60FXE

Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:16 am

Having this problem too.

After searching google for "rtl_tcp crash", "rtl_tcp fail", "rtl_tcp hang", and such, I've found many others have had this problem, and so far no permanent fixes have been found it seems.

I've tried several different dongles and had no luck. Heck this crash happens when running the rtl_tcp server on Windows as-well.

Basically it looks like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8snz1wQSRpw

woodpecker

Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:07 pm

Very frustrating this doesn't work, have tried various images with b+ and pi 2 but always get the stream crashed after a short period using sdrsharp, anyone made any progress with it?

jvandenbroek

Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:14 am

Thanks, updating libusb to Jessie works very well!

atcom

Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:51 pm

Same issues w/ rtl_tcp on Pi B+ running raspbian here. Upgraded libusb to v1.0.19 but no change in symptoms. Has anyone tried this on a Pi2?

atcom

Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:40 am

Hmm, recompiled rtl-sdr after updating libusb to 1.0.19 and it seems to be working much better now. Still some crashes when stopping and starting SDR#.

W9RAN

Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:56 pm

I've had this problem for months too, so was happy to try the suggestions here related to the version of libusb-1.0 that is installed. Unfortunately the procedure described that is supposed to force aptitude to get the updated version from the "jesse" repository does not work for me. I've triple-checked my sources.list and run it many times with the same effect - I still have version 11-1 instead of 19-1 that supposedly fixes the rtl_tcp problem.

Does anyone have further suggestions? If there is a way to force apt-get to update directly without going via jesse I'd like to try that but I haven't found packages, and thought I would ask here before trying to build it from source.

But then others have reported that it doesn't fix the problem anyway - - why does it seem to do so for some but not others? Clearly the developers of rtl_tcp are not investing any effort in improving it, but it would be nice to at least get back to where it would run more than one time, like it used to, and that is an R-Pi issue. Evidently this as a result of some pathological effect between libusb and something else that changed - but there are a lot of applications for streaming IQ from Pi-based SDR servers if this can be fixed once and for all.

Thanks and 73,
Bob W9RAN

ktb

Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:23 pm

Code: Select all

$ apt-cache policy libusb-1.0-0
libusb-1.0-0:
  Installed: 2:1.0.11-1
  Candidate: 2:1.0.11-1
  Version table:
     2:1.0.19-1 0
         10 http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ jessie/main armhf Packages
 *** 2:1.0.11-1 0
        350 http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ wheezy/main armhf Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/rasp ... ibusb-1.0/
http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/rasp ... _armhf.deb

rechmp

Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:03 am

Tell us please, is it cured the problem?
For me, pidora is the only way for stable 24/7 work.

W9RAN

Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:09 pm

This did not do anything to fix the problem. It only allowed me to confirm that the version of WinUSB being fetched by apt-get is 11-1 not 19-1, and attempts to install 19-1 directly failed due to not having required dependencies. Attempts to install listed dependencies also failed.

Key word: Failed ;-) Something is broken and it seems will be that way unless/until the newest 19-1 version of WinUSB-1.0 becomes part of the official repository, and that it does in fact solve the problem. I've not tried Pidora but I've proven that rtl_tcp will run on a Windows machine as well as it ever has (i.e. not perfect but not like it does on the Pi).

If anyone can offer further suggestions, I'd love to have them. Just please remember that many of us are not Linux experts, and your efforts to take a few minutes and explain how and what you are suggesting in newbie-level detail would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and 73,
Bob W9RAN

larma

Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:44 pm

Hi,
If anyone is willing to test my program It could be found here https://mnm4sdr.codeplex.com/. As it is not dependant on rtl_tcp, rtl_sdr maybe it is just what you need. Basically it is GUI for rtl_fm (but you must install VLC on your raspberry) and rtl_power and working by executing remote commands over the SSH link. That way it doesn't require high speed network connection at all. I've tested it on my Raspberry-Pi B+ with 2015-050-05_raspbian-wheezy and RTL-SDR installed from GIT.
Regards

W9RAN

Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:05 pm

Hi,
I'm interested in trying it but having trouble with the installation. Installation fails due to not having Microsoft SQL Express installed so I tried doing that first on an old XP machine, which it said was not a supported OS. Assuming this was due to EOL support issues, I switched to a new i7 machine running Win 8.1 and a few hundred megabytes of Microsoft downloads and default answers later, I managed to install SQL Express. But the MNMSDR installation still fails with the same complaint, e.g. "Microsoft SQL Express LocalDB requried to proceed with installation!".

It would be helpful if you could provide more information about the versions of Windows supported and the SQL-related dependencies, since as you probably know there are approx. one gazillion variations and installation options to choose from.

Can you provide more details on the SQL database version used and any Windows version restrictions?

You also mentioned that VLC is required on the Pi, and I was hoping to find a readme file that described exactly what the installation procedure on the Pi is, and how rtl_fm should be configured to operate remotely. Any additional info along these lines would be helpful, I think.

Thanks and 73,
Bob W9RAN

larma

Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:50 am

W9RAN wrote:Hi,
I'm interested in trying it but having trouble with the installation. Installation fails due to not having Microsoft SQL Express installed so I tried doing that first on an old XP machine, which it said was not a supported OS. Assuming this was due to EOL support issues, I switched to a new i7 machine running Win 8.1 and a few hundred megabytes of Microsoft downloads and default answers later, I managed to install SQL Express. But the MNMSDR installation still fails with the same complaint, e.g. "Microsoft SQL Express LocalDB requried to proceed with installation!".

It would be helpful if you could provide more information about the versions of Windows supported and the SQL-related dependencies, since as you probably know there are approx. one gazillion variations and installation options to choose from.

Can you provide more details on the SQL database version used and any Windows version restrictions?

You also mentioned that VLC is required on the Pi, and I was hoping to find a readme file that described exactly what the installation procedure on the Pi is, and how rtl_fm should be configured to operate remotely. Any additional info along these lines would be helpful, I think.

Thanks and 73,
Bob W9RAN
Thanks Bob,
This is very valuable information for me.
I've developed MNM4SDR on Windows 8.1 Professional with SQL Express LocalDB 2012. The newer version of MSSQL LocalDB shouldn't be problem for MNM4SDR itself but for InstallShield.
First check MSSQL LocalDB instances exists by executing command "C:>sqllocaldb info" the output on my computer is:
MSSQLLocalDB
v11.0
Fortunately MNM4SDR could be run without run installation program. I suggest you to just unzip MNM4SDR_Install_170715.zip somewhere in your user folder and go to extracted Disk1->WinRoot->MyFactory. Open the file MNM 4 RTL-SDR.exe.config (This is XML file) and find line starting connectionString, mine starts with connectionString="Data Source=(LocalDB)\v11.0; ...etc.
as You can see Data Source is defined as (LocalDB)\v11.0. If you don't have v11.0 instance of MSSQL LocalDB, then replace "v11.0" with something You've got as output of "sqllocaldb info" command, let's say it is v12.0 or MSSQLLocalDB then simply run MNM 4 RTL-SDR.exe. If you still have problem please do not hesitate to ask, I'll be glad to help.

* Audio tab (funcionality) of MNM4SDR doesn't make sense if both rtl_fm and VLC aren't installed on Pi.I have Raspbian on my Pi systems and all you are supposed to do is run command "sudo apt-get install vlc" on Pi and forget about it. But if you want to do it manually here is the example string:
" /usr/local/bin/rtl_fm -M wbfm -f 91.7M -g 0 -s 200k -r 16000 -E deemp -A fast -l 0 | cvlc --intf dummy --demux=rawaud --rawaud-channels=1 --rawaud-samplerate=16000 - --sout '#transcode{acodec=flac,ab=16,channels=1,samplerate=16000}:standard{access=http,mux=ogg,dst=0.0.0.0:1234}' "

As soon as You hit "start" button of the Audio tab it is executed on the remote Pi and You will get "Stream URL:" address so just copy/paste in your media player. I am using VLC so Ctrl+N and paste provided link, start play and wait a couple seconds (sometime it is required to try more than once because of buffering and transcoding time). Default options works for sure so if you can't get the stream check if you have demodulated signal on the frequency at all first. I hope this would be helpful, and again please ask if you have any further questions.

Enjoy
Slaven Krilic

W9RAN

Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:11 am

Staven,

Thanks for the detailed assistance. The db info command says my version is MSSQLLocalDB so that's what I edited into the xml file, but when I try to run it now I get a .NET error. I don't recall you mentioning which version of .NET is required. (I can send you the debug info if you like, just give me an email address).

Also, if I ignore the error and allow the MNM app to come up, I can't access the Audio tab anyway, because it says I have to configure "Measurement Stations list" first. You didn't mention that and there is no help information, so I have no idea about how to do that. Clicking on most anything just produces more Unhandled Exception errors.

Thanks,

Bob

larma

Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:23 am

Hi Bob,
In the meantime I've released beta.
Please go to the discussion at http://mnm4sdr.codeplex.com. I believe some user has found solution for the problem. If it is so, please let me know.

W9RAN

Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:35 pm

Slaven,

Thanks but I'm still getting nowhere.

I've installed what seems to be the latest version of .NET Framework (4.5.2) just to be sure and Windows Update says everything is up to date. So I don't know what to do about the .NET exceptions I continue to get.

After reading the discussion you referenced, I used the "c" and "s" commands to manually create and start the MNFDATA,MDF database which did allow me to get a little further. I still am getting .NET unhandled exceptions but when I ignore them the program loads and I assume I am supposed to enter the URL of the Raspberry Pi where the RTL dongle is installed in the "Stream URL" box. But when I click "Start" I get the "Sorry! You must configure Measurement Stations list!" error and can go no further. And when I click on the Function-Configuration-Measurement stations tab, I get another Unhandled Exception error. If I ignore that error the Measurement Stations configuration screen does come up with a number of empty fields (Name, Fqdn, Port, Media FW port"...etc") but as I mentioned previously, there is no documentation or anything to tell the user what information is needed and the format in which it should be entered.

I assume the database issues will be corrected in time, but Is there a way to just use the GUI for rtl-fm without the database?

I appreciate your efforts and that this is beta sofware, but I think it would be beneficial to create help or read-me files that will tell a user what is needed to begin using the program. If you can explain what needs to be entered into the Measurement Stations config form I'll be happy to continue to try to get it to run.

Thanks,

Bob W9RAN

larma

Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:25 pm

Hi Bob,
MNM4SDR installation shouldn't be so hard. The problem you've described seems to be exactly the same as described In the discussion at https://mnm4sdr.codeplex.com/discussions/641647. And the solution seems to be as user Toontje proposed:
1. Download the newest version https://mnm4sdr.codeplex.com/downloads/get/1474632 "MNM4SDR-BETA-200715"
2. Uninstall previous MNM4SDR and delete residuals in folder C:\MyFactory if exist.
3. Install MS SQL LocalDB 2014 instead of MS SQL LocalDB 2012
4. Install again MNM4SDR version downloaded in step 1.

I believe information you are looking for already exists here https://mnm4sdr.codeplex.com/documentation

Regards

W9RAN

Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:45 am

Slaven,

That was exactly the right suggestion! I wiped everything clean and followed those steps and now have things running well. The only remaining issue is I don't have audio, even though the stream is connecting and the spectrum analyzer function works. So I'll dig into that now that I've overcome all the installation issues.

I really appreciate your patience!

73, Bob W9RAN

larma

Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:16 am

W9RAN wrote:Slaven,

That was exactly the right suggestion! I wiped everything clean and followed those steps and now have things running well. The only remaining issue is I don't have audio, even though the stream is connecting and the spectrum analyzer function works. So I'll dig into that now that I've overcome all the installation issues.

I really appreciate your patience!

73, Bob W9RAN
Bob,
Glad to hear you've made a progress. As I've already written, in order to listen to the audio streamed back from your RPi, you need some media player on your desktop, I prefer VLC. If there was a modulated signal at frequency you are trying to listen and
If you had set all parameters correctly (Modulation and Bandwidth kHz), then just wait a little bit more, before you hit play button on the VLC again.
One more thing, "Stream BW bit" must be less or equal than "Bandwidth kHz" (e.g. if "Bandwidth kHz" is 15 then "Stream BW bit" could be 8000).

W9RAN

Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:24 pm

Slaven,

After a bit more experimenting I got audio to run, using VLC to play the audio stream at port :1234. However, I can only get it to work with Steam BWbit set to 8000, which works with either Ogg Vobis or FLAC codecs. But with 16000 or higher settings, both MNM and VLC seem to be working normally with no error messages, but no audio streaming occurs. If I turn the volume all the way up there is a faint hiss that starts and stops when I start/stop the audio streaming. While not essential it would be nice to have higher fidelity audio for FM BC.

I also found that MNM won't start if there is any other user logged onto the Pi. I was going to log on from the terminal to see what the CPU utilization was, but don't know how to do that now.

A small suggestion for the GUI - if there was some indication that the audio stream was indeed being received by MNM, it would be helpful in isolating problems between MNM and the audio stream player.

Nice job, thanks again! Now I'll have to spend some time playing.

73, Bob W9RAN

Return to “Advanced users”