damaru

root ssh by default on new debian image

Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:03 am

Hi there,

Just got my pi and got the debian sd card, connected it to the network and it got an ip address, from the dhcp, and then I tried to ssh to the box and couldn't get in. No port open, ssh or what not.

I was a bit surprise by this, thinking it should be a default that the openssh server is starting automatically and the port is open for connection so that one can hack into the pi asap.

I guess it's not the purpose for the raspberry pi, but I think that it could be interesting to have a debian image that has that type of connection already setup. Which bring me to my other question - how to create a new distro for the pi ? There is few system out that that are meant to build some live distro which could work (broth comes to my mind) but I was wondering if there is other way to create an image for the pi with preconfigured package (like open ssh etc...)

Now I am waiting for my adaptor from the store to be able to connect the pi to a screen !

nick.mccloud

Re: root ssh by default on new debian image

Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:51 am

Rename the boot_enable_ssh.rc file on the FAT partition to boot.rc and the Pi will automagically start up SSH for you.

damaru

Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:07 pm

Wow nice magic trick - I knew that it would have been taken in consideration !

thanks!

bfesser

Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:41 pm

I just wrote the latest release of Wheezy (2013-07-26-wheezy-raspbian.img) to an SD card, but don't see either .rc file in the FAT partition. Is there a new way of doing this?

AndyD

Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:21 pm

You have dragged out a very old thread. All sorts of things have changed in the last 15 months. These days, ssh is enabled by default on wheezy raspbian.

Return to “Advanced users”