ndrs

Re: Cooling Ram + CPU

Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:08 pm

I do not believe that Rpi needs cooling system. But hey! It looks cool :D

Here's mine:

pygmy_giant

Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:10 pm

Could be a good fashion accessory - does thermal paste adhere to skin?

Seriously though, it has been a hot day today.
Ostendo ignarus addo scientia.

Jokke

Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:19 pm

tufty wrote:
guidol wrote:I think copper would cool down the raspberry better than aluminium
Cu is a better heatsink material than Al, but it's probably gonna be surface area that limits performance for a sink of this size rather than materials.

That said, anything is better than nothing.
The battle between copper and aluminium as heatsink material is always going big. Thermal conductivity of copper is better, true. But W/m*K / buck of aluminium is better.

And of course nothing is good enough what comes to cooling your RPi, there is way better materials than these two for the purpose. As for any of the tru nerds price is not a problem I would suggest you to go for diamond. ;P

Lob0426

Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:33 pm

I think Copper is best when it is used with a fan or liquid cooling as it does not release heat as well as Aluminum (Aluminium across the pond). Aluminum I think is the best for a totally passive heat sink.

Now Diamond, not enough diamonds that could cover the entire surface area of the SoC. Not real easy to cut grooves into to increas the surface area for better cooling, it's diamond. You would still need paste or thermal tape. Well and then there is cost. And I don't think a diamond is that good of conductor anyway.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

Burngate

Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:22 pm

Lob0426 wrote:... And I don't think a diamond is that good of conductor anyway.
From Wikipedia
Diamond: Most notable are its extreme hardness and thermal conductivity (900–2,320 W·m−1·K−1)
Copper: Thermal conductivity 401 W·m−1·K−1
Aluminium: Thermal conductivity 237 W·m−1·K−1

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:29 pm

Thats why diamonds are cool! :lol:

Lob0426

Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:47 pm

@Burngate: well I cannot afford them, and the wife would steal my RasPi and wear it around her neck. It would be hard to work on it there.

Montala

Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:51 pm

OK, so although they may not be strictly necessary, it would appear that there are more than a few RasPi owners, (myself included) who would like to fit them.

My question therefore is, does anyone know of a UK source of these, for a sensible price?

Preferably self adhesive and for both the main SOC and also for the LAN?USB chip.

Thanks! :)

P.S. Just to show that I have done a bit of searching, I have found these (http://www.langtoninfo.co.uk/showitem.a ... 20&loc=GBP) but the price of £22 is way over the top, even for 2 Pi's!

itimpi

Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:04 pm

I used the following: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Koolance-Self-A ... omputers_2

They are the perfect size for the SoC chip, and can easily be cut down for the Ethernet chip. You get enough in a pack for 4 Pi's for when you get some more!

Montala

Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:16 pm

These don't look too bad either... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Akasa-AK-VCM01- ... omputers_0 ... only for the SOC chip though, but it looks as if you get 10 for £2.95, so I have just placed an order and might even have a few 'spare'! ;)

ryandigweed

Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:08 am

sharix wrote:Here's mine, no thermal paste
http://diy-science.blogspot.com/2012/06/one-hot-pi.html
Why didn't you apply thermal paste? It wouldn't cool it if you don't have the paste on.

-----

A friend of mine cut up his CHipset Heatsinks, and stuck them onto the cpu , ram and ethernet chip of the pie, using adhesive thermal pads :)

abishur

Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:44 pm

ryandigweed wrote:
sharix wrote:Here's mine, no thermal paste
http://diy-science.blogspot.com/2012/06/one-hot-pi.html
Why didn't you apply thermal paste? It wouldn't cool it if you don't have the paste on.

-----

A friend of mine cut up his CHipset Heatsinks, and stuck them onto the cpu , ram and ethernet chip of the pie, using adhesive thermal pads :)
Technically, it wouldn't cool as effectively without paste. While a good thermal paste will aid in the transfer of heat from the chip to the sink, the main function by which it does this is by remove any air gaps caused by not having two perfectly smooth surfaces to affix to one another (less air gaps = higher contact of surface area = faster heat dissipation)

All that said, I wouldn't use a heat sink without *some* form of interface between the heat sink and the chip. Which is why even though I didn't use thermal paste I did use a nice thermal tape! I hope this is what sharix did as well ;-)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

sharix

Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:43 pm

The heatsinks already had a film of glue on the bottom, so I didn't add anything else.

ryandigweed

Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:13 pm

Thanks for confirming that. :)

guidol

Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:09 pm

Burngate wrote: Copper: Thermal conductivity 401 W·m−1·K−1
Aluminium: Thermal conductivity 237 W·m−1·K−1
Here is my Copper-Version with the Cooltek VGA-Ram Cooler:
The heatsink size fits very well on the chip in the middle and didnt get contact with the surrounding SMD-Parts near the small LAN (or USB?) chip.

ryandigweed

Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:06 pm

Wow, not used to seeing copper heatsinks !: D

sduskin

Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:32 am

Cu is slightly better than Al in this environment as heat sink material. I would use arctic silver rs or arctic silver 5 as the thermal compound. Using a fan to improve convection heat dissipation would also work and prevent the (potentially) permanent mod to the RaspPi. If I remember correctly, the Model B needs at least 700ma. Adding a wireless dongle will need an additional 200ma or more unless the extra dongles are attached via a powered USB hub. Without the extra juice any wifi could potentially act a bit flakey at times.

Sorry if this post rambles a bit, but I was trying to cover the comments of more than a few other posts.

AndrewS

Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:51 am

ryandigweed wrote:Wow, not used to seeing copper heatsinks !: D
That's nothing! Check out this :lol: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 32#p102932

ryandigweed

Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:30 pm

AndrewS wrote:
ryandigweed wrote:Wow, not used to seeing copper heatsinks !: D
That's nothing! Check out this :lol: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 32#p102932
Saw that one !:D i like the idea, but i don't know, doesn't seem so practical to me :D It's a fun mod, but i would preffer a normal fan :D

Ray_GTI-R

Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:58 pm

Copper is great for absorbing heat, rubbish for emitting heat. Check any (reputable) all-copper heatsink review.
Aluminium is great for emitting heat.
Copper core/heatpipes + aluminium fins. Where have I seen that before?

Lob0426

Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:12 am

sduskin wrote:Cu is slightly better than Al in this environment as heat sink material. I would use arctic silver rs or arctic silver 5 as the thermal compound. Using a fan to improve convection heat dissipation would also work and prevent the (potentially) permanent mod to the RaspPi. If I remember correctly, the Model B needs at least 700ma. Adding a wireless dongle will need an additional 200ma or more unless the extra dongles are attached via a powered USB hub. Without the extra juice any wifi could potentially act a bit flakey at times.

Sorry if this post rambles a bit, but I was trying to cover the comments of more than a few other posts.
I used Artic Silver on my first set. They slid all over the place. They got a little firmer over time, but not much. these ones have thermal tape and are working fine.

guidol

Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:47 am

Ray_GTI-R wrote: Copper core/heatpipes + aluminium fins. Where have I seen that before?
I had seen that on a Pentium & Ahtlon-Cooler, but they arent in the size of a Raspberry Chip :-(

Josh.43

Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:55 pm

What about submerging in mineral oil?
There are no moving parts (which prevented submerging towers), and if you really wanted to, you could extend the SD Card slot so that it's sitting outside the oil.

Entirely overkill, of course, but this seems like the right thread for that. :)

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:04 pm

If you go that way, why not go all the way, and submerge the board in liquid nitrogen while you are at it. :twisted:

Lob0426

Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:43 pm

mahjongg wrote:If you go that way, why not go all the way, and submerge the board in liquid nitrogen while you are at it. :twisted:
Obviously Liquid Nitrogen is well below the specified operating temperature of ANY of the components on the board. :lol:

Mineral oil can be quite destructive to components. Especially Capacitors that have cardboard bases. There are some non-conductive non-flammable oils that will work. These must be circulated to really give any cooling effect. Otherwise the oil will trap the heat next to the components. Some circulation will occur by convection, but you cannot always rely upon that to work. You can seal some components with silicone to protect them if you are worried about them.

Return to “Advanced users”