paulmeeke

ssh gateway? I think?

Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:55 pm

I have been searching through google for a while now trying to find a solution to my problem but yet to find it. This is what i am trying to do.

i basically want to use the raspberry pi as a proxy. some how plugging it into my router to force all traffic to pass through ssh which in turn proxy's everything through server..

Maybee an easier way of stating this is to say i want my friends house and parents house to both route all internet traffic through my internet connection so it looks like their ip address is the same as mine.

I have been looking at assigning 2 ips to the ethernet port and plugging this into the remote routers, so it will be a simple plug and play operation. But cant find anything out on google, or maybee just cant figure the search terms to put in :)

hope i can get some help here

thanks in advance :)

default_user8

Re: ssh gateway? I think?

Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:35 am

You might want to rethink your plan. Routing traffic from other locations through your router over an ssh connection will result in slower transfer speeds from the remote locations. Don't really understand why you would want to do this anyway, unless you are trying to set up some file sharing system between the 3 locations. I wouldn't use a raspi for this plan anyway, if you really want to do this you should use 3 routers flashed with dd-wrt or open-wrt and have the two remote routers connect to the main router. JMHO
Two heads are better than one, unless one's a goat head.

ronyoung1

Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:06 am

What you are talking about is VPN (virtual private network) with SSH tunnels. This sort of things is done quite frequently to allow for secure traffic over unsecured networks.

Look at the following: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SSH_VPN

paulmeeke

Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:46 am

Thanks for your reply. Its not for file sharing and i realize it would slow down the connection. My method really is basically for one appliance which uses very little bandwidth but each appliance needs to originate from same ip.
Maybee a virtual lan with openwrt would be the answer.

appliance -----> raspberry pi running openwrt connected to users wlreless as gateway, then virtual lan on raspberry pi)

Might be the simplest way.

Return to “Advanced users”