Malakesher

Using RPi as Nas

Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:13 pm

Hi everyone.
I want to use my RPi as a NAS file storage and media streamer, but I have a few questions about its capabilities.

Would the RPi be suitable to stream HD movies over a local network?
Would the RPi be suitable to stream video or music of any quality over the internet to just a single user?
Finally on the RPi I will be using samba to access the files locally from my windows pc. Should I use samba also to stream locally to XBMC or is there a better option?

Thank you for any help you can offer.

-Mala

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Using RPi as Nas

Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:04 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum.
I used this guide to set up my Pi-NAS :
http://elinux.org/R-Pi_NAS
It uses samba and I stream HD video to my Raspbmc, and I also use it as a general storage area for my Pi's, my Vista laptop and my Win7 PC.
The harddrive isn't the quickest, and it's not formated to ext4, so not optimal from a linux point of view, but it works ;)
Hope this helps,
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

Malakesher

Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:37 pm

Do you recommend using samba to stream to XBMC?

My XBMC client is running on a windows machine if that makes a difference.

I will be running samba on the Pi to access files from another windows PC also I am working on setting up FTP to connect to my Pi over the internet from things like android devices.

Or should I use FTP to connect from XBMC?

What I am really asking here is what will over the fastest connection or be less resource heavy on the Pi?

also any advice on better ways of doing this would be totally welcome. I am a bit over my head in all of this but I am trying to learn new things too.

-Mala

neuron

Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:06 pm

You realize of course that the raspberry can hardware decode 1080p without issues?

I'm using mine as a NAS/xbmc setup and I have for quite a long time. Works very well, it's not super fast to copy from, but it's never lagged during playback and can handle 1080p no problems. (assuming you have a hardware with a dedicated power supply, and it's not draining any power from the pi.. if your external hd is draining it it will crash, but you can fix that with a custom usb cable without a power connector).

neuron

Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:16 am

(also performance wise chances are you wanna go for something like nfs)

teeth_03

Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:30 pm

What I have my NasPi setup as:

256 Meg Pi Model B
2-3TB Seagate Drives
Formatted ext4
Samba/NFS shares on Drive 1
Rsync to Drive 2 daily for backup
Owncload Server for external access

I've only had own cloud setup for a few weeks, but otherwise the system has been up and running fine for over 6 months.

default_user8

Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:36 pm

I have a similar setup only with 1TB drives ntfs(easier for kids windows laptops) samba shared rsync once a week, with minidlna to stream to my smart TV. I was thinking of adding own cloud because raspi check on my android tablet seldom ever show my pi running over 1% load.
teeth_03 how did you setup own cloud?
Two heads are better than one, unless one's a goat head.

jdb
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:35 pm

This is my setup:

2x Cheapo 3.5" USB2.0 caddies (external power supplies for both) - 3.0TB 5400RPM drives in each
Caddies directly connected to Pi, no hub
Ethernet wired connection

Both hard drives are combined using md "linear" or JBOD personality to create a contiguous drive. EXT4 filesystem sits on top of the JBOD device.

I primarily use samba to do IO to/from Windows: With a modest overclock on the ARM I can get 4.5MB/s read throughput or so. This is fine for HD video, the only thing that is a bit slow is seeking within video.
Rockets are loud.
https://astro-pi.org

Return to “Advanced users”