Killerbee

zram module is missing in latest firmware (3.10.21)

Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:27 pm

FYI

@dom
I just updated to the latest firmware (3.10.21) using rpi-update.
After the update/reboot I noticed that zram was not working.
I think the modules are missing.

KB

Takenover83

Re: zram module is missing in latest firmware (3.10.21)

Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:51 am

I remember reading somewhere there was a reason why. But yes, I wish it would make a return.
Edit: Found the reason here and here.

jackokring

Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:09 pm

Unless the majority of users are using already compressed data and program binaries, then when swapping, zram will be faster. If the majority of users do not use enough RAM to enter swapping then zram is not needed, and so frees some RAM not in use! the middle ground of not swapping, or swapping to zram, (not SD), I suppose is the use case for the average user as deemed by the rationale of non inclusion. This will of course encourage you to use xz compression of all your data files, and mess up the coding so you need the compressed and uncompressed images in memory at the same time! And would not an Ethernet memory server be a better swap?

Of course the double kernel (or patch) solution would expand the dd image, but then that's just one download, or maybe 4 if your trying out some newer version with extras included which you don't need. I mean like who NEEDS Mathematica, :) , (sorry wolfram peeps, but it's a maths joke. Not Mathematica, the inclusion of said micro bloat.)

I'd prefer zram as a raspi-config easy setup option, but I'd also like other things such as someone giving me a million in a suit case, but that's just dreams. :twisted:
Pi[NFA]=B256R0USB CL4SD8GB Raspbian Stock.
Pi[Work]=A+256 CL4SD8GB Raspbian Stock.
My favourite constant 1.65056745028

primeform

Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:19 pm

Can we use old firmware and still use Zram?

Return to “Advanced users”