strasharo

Re: Overclocking

Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:58 am

lokir wrote:cat /proc/cpuinfo

Revision : 100000f

if it start with 1 your warranty in gone :)
I'm using these settings:
force_turbo=0
arm_freq=1000
core_freq=500
sdram_freq=500
over_voltage=6
But the revision still doesn't begin with 1:
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ grep Revision /proc/cpuinfo
Revision : 000e
pi@raspberrypi ~ $
Does this mean that the warranty bit is still not touched? :roll:

EDIT:
Sorry, got it now.
According to http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 65#p176865, the warranty would be voided if force_turbo was set to 1 in my case. 8-)
(force_turbo || current_limit_override || temp_limit>85) && over_voltage>0

PiLinx

Wed May 15, 2013 8:57 pm

Hi. What is the max overclock you guys got without overvolting? Is there any serious disadvantage with overvolting? Safe temperatures? Mine reaches 57Cº when using etherpad-lite or ssh tunnel. I'm looking for a stable / fast overclock to be 24/7 stable, without much overvolt...
This is my stable overclock without overvolt:
arm_freq=950
gpu_mem=64
core_freq=450
sdram_freq=450
over_voltage=0
force_turbo=0
arm_freq_min=450
core_freq_min=300
I Have Pi1 Model B and Pi2 Model B
Experience with Linux Debian and Arch

portets

Fri May 24, 2013 9:13 am

It seems that I don't get corruption overclocking core_freq under the new Fedora image. Can anyone confirm?

It comes with May 14th firmware, which(iirc) corrupts under Raspbian. One major difference is that Fedora doesn't come with the CPU governor.

edit: latest firmware also seems stable with a high core_freq on Fedora

lewzer

Tue May 28, 2013 7:22 am

Hey there, managed to overclock my 512mb pi without any failures to

Code: Select all

arm_freq=950
core_freq=350
gpu_freq=350
sdram_freq=500
over_voltage=2
I have a small heatsink attached to help it abit with the heat. It does not go above 55C at max loads. I'm mostly running RaspBMC on it and so far have not noticed any problems, no reboots or anything. However, I'm not sure about the card corrupting, can not check it because I'm running my pi off a USB stick.
I've tried to experiment a little bit more with it with the fan placed near the pi to get the airflow going and managed to keep the temperature at nice cool 33C degrees at full loads with

arm_freq=1000
core_freq=400
gpu_freq=350
sdram_freq=500
over_voltage=3
Using a 5v 1A HTC phone charger as a power supply.
I'm pretty sure I could push it even further. Going to try and get the arm_freq to 1150 stable once my little fans and voltmeter arrive. For some reason I do think that the 1A phone charger will be the bottleneck in the future overclocking attempts.

pi is fun thing to play with :)

Pinkie Pi(e)

Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:08 pm

Hi! Does anyone know how exactly the initial_turbo option works?

The wiki says:
Enables turbo mode from boot for the given value in seconds (up to 60) or until cpufreq sets a frequency. Can help with sdcard corruption if overclocked. Default 0
But does it set any overclock settings that have been specified in config.txt? (Custom ones too?)

Or does it set the actual turbo mode preset = 1000 Mhz ARM, 500 Mhz Core, 600 Mhz SDRam, 6 Overvoltage?

Would be good to know, as I'd like to use it to prevent corruption.
However, if it does set the actual turbo mode preset, it might actually cause more instability than good, as my Pi does not run stable with 1000/500/600/6. ;)

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:01 pm

Due to this issue:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 28&t=44904

I've got agreement that current_limit_override is now enabled by default (so doesn't affect warranty bit).

This may help people get higher stable overclocks, without setting their warranty bit now.

We've had no reports of any dead pi's from using current_limit_override (or any of the overclock options), so my view is that this is safe.

You'll need to run rpi-update to get this.

bryanandaimee

Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:39 am

My first post. I just had to add my settings and brag a bit. I finally made time to mess with cooling and got over 1200 Mhz.

force_turbo=1
arm_freq=1220
gpu_mem=128
core_freq=250
sdram_freq=450
over_voltage=8

This is an older 256MB version pi. Without cooling I got 1175 max.
My cooling setup consisted of a jar of ice water and a strip of aluminum bent in the shape of a U and super-glued to the chip. Not what you would call a stable overclock but I was able to play the squirrel game to the end. So I would say it's a successful if not absolutely stable overclock. With the fins in ice water the temp started at about 23 and at max load on the CPU it climbed to 27, without cooling it was more like 40 and 50 for idle and loaded temps. So, it's not much of a cooling setup but it did get me over the 1200MHz barrier. The moral of the story is, cooling may not be very effective at raising the max clock with these low power chips, but if you need that last 5% for psychological/self esteem reasons, it may do the trick. And of course I still need to try lower temps but it may be a while before the bug bites again.
Someone should really do a fluorinert immersed pi in a replica Cray 2 case (mineral oil would work too but it wouldn't have the same coolness factor). Hmm...

Somebody

Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:47 pm

Hi guys !

I'm in trouble with my Raspberry, and I should have your help :)
I'm running Openelec 3.03 on a 512Mo Rev 2 model, using a Transcend SDHC 16Gb class 10, and files with a hight bitrate aren't smooth. So I managed to overclock my Raspberry but, despite there is a lot of documentation, and also a lot of pages here, I can't solve my problem.

In the config.txt file, I do that :

gpu_mem=256
# gpu_mem_256=100
# gpu_mem_512=128

arm_freq=850
core_freq=300
# sdram_freq=400 => won't boot if higher
# gpu_freq=250 => won't boot if higher
# over_voltage=0 => don't want to corrupt my sd card

boot_delay=1

force_turbo=0
initial_turbo=30
hdmi_force_hotplug=1

Does it seem to be ok ?
It crashes randomly : sometimes at the boot, sometimes on the "XBMC, Frodo 12" logo, and only once once the menu (the farther I went !).
Should I use "over_voltage=2" ? But I believe that it'll corrupt my SD card :oops:

Thanks for your help, and sorry if I don't write english very well, but be happy : my accent is worse :mrgreen:

Pinkie Pi(e)

Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:28 am

Somebody wrote:Hi guys !

I'm in trouble with my Raspberry, and I should have your help :)
I'm running Openelec 3.03 on a 512Mo Rev 2 model, using a Transcend SDHC 16Gb class 10, and files with a hight bitrate aren't smooth. So I managed to overclock my Raspberry but, despite there is a lot of documentation, and also a lot of pages here, I can't solve my problem.

In the config.txt file, I do that :

gpu_mem=256
# gpu_mem_256=100
# gpu_mem_512=128

arm_freq=850
core_freq=300
# sdram_freq=400 => won't boot if higher
# gpu_freq=250 => won't boot if higher
# over_voltage=0 => don't want to corrupt my sd card

boot_delay=1

force_turbo=0
initial_turbo=30
hdmi_force_hotplug=1

Does it seem to be ok ?
It crashes randomly : sometimes at the boot, sometimes on the "XBMC, Frodo 12" logo, and only once once the menu (the farther I went !).
Should I use "over_voltage=2" ? But I believe that it'll corrupt my SD card :oops:

Thanks for your help, and sorry if I don't write english very well, but be happy : my accent is worse :mrgreen:
From what I understood so far, overvolting won't cause SD Card corruption, but a too high core_freq (and possibly gpu_freq?) will.
Overvolting helps to run stable at higher settings.
The only downside is more heat.

My Pi seems to run stable and without corruption with these settings, for example:
arm_freq=950
core_freq=250
sdram_freq=450
over_voltage=6
initial_turbo=60

Possibly more. But each Raspberry is different, so you won't get around trial and error, I guess.
Just make sure that you backup your SD Card before experimenting (see here), then corruption won't be a problem. ;)

Somebody

Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:28 am

Thank you for helping me :)
But I can't follow your tutorial : for the step 2, I can't "save" my IMG, because I haven't this choice :?: :!:

LlyrP

Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:49 am

IIRC, the SD card corruption is due to DMA timing issues, and only happens when writing. I was getting corrupted cards until I flipped the write protect tab on my SD, although YMMV.

My Rev2/Model B is happily humming along at 1150/550/550, and /boot/cmdline.txt points at an external HDD, with the tab set to read only.

It means I can have tons of swap and a decent amount of HDD space for projects, while still having a fairly snappy desktop.
Use your own judgement when following any instructions from the forum. I take no responsibility if you fry anything...
--
LlyrP :: http://llyrpenrose.com/

lewzer

Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:04 pm

Did some more overclocking and benchmarking today, I got mine somewhat stable at 1200mhz (heatsinks + fans) but couldn't push it more further.
I've benchmarked my rPI using various clocks with a sysbench (sysbench --test=cpu --cpu-max-prime=20000 --max-time=240 run)

Here are the results and configurations I've used graph url:http://i.imgur.com/W4In0E4.jpg

I was surprised how well it scalled and going from stock to the 1200 the improvement is almost 80%!

Dilligaf

Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:14 am

LlyrP wrote:IIRC, the SD card corruption is due to DMA timing issues, and only happens when writing. I was getting corrupted cards until I flipped the write protect tab on my SD, although YMMV.

My Rev2/Model B is happily humming along at 1150/550/550, and /boot/cmdline.txt points at an external HDD, with the tab set to read only.

It means I can have tons of swap and a decent amount of HDD space for projects, while still having a fairly snappy desktop.
It's amazing what a placebo can do :) The write protect on the side of an sd card does nothing on the PI, if you look at the contacts that the switch activates in the sd slot they aren't wired to anything and the switch does nothing to the insides of the card.

LlyrP

Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:23 pm

Now I feel stupid. :lol: I didn't look properly at the slot.

In which case the lack of SD corruption is probably because I only use the first few MB and never write to the SD if the Pi is overclocked.

Correlation does not imply causation, and all that jazz. :)
Use your own judgement when following any instructions from the forum. I take no responsibility if you fry anything...
--
LlyrP :: http://llyrpenrose.com/

hojnikb

Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:19 pm

After a bit of tweaking i was able to boot my pi @ 1225Mhz :o

At this speed, its quite unstable (after i checked the procinfo, it "crashed") but it was able to boot.
At 1230Mhz it only completes about a half of boot proces, then it crashes.

At 1200Mhz it seems fairly stable, ran a 10Min stress test wit pi_stress_test..
Obviously all of these were made with overvoltage set to 8..
At 930Mhu it doesn't need any overvoltage at all and its stable (stress testing and games)
Tried with core_freq, i got to around 500, didn't try more (obviously won't work with 1200Mhz+ OC).

This is a model b board with 256MB of samsung ram. Probobly one of the first batches available (not from the initial 10k though). Everything is running off a Cruizer micro flash drive (16Gig), because with sd card i get corruptions every now and then..

Here i a proof pic of procinfo (oldschool CRT tv :mrgreen: )

And here is the rPi in action
Notice the busted ACK led (or OK led before it was relabled) :lol:
+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ Everyone should have a taste of UK Raspberry Pie =D ~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
Rasberry Pi, SoC @ 1225Mhz :o, 256MB Ram @ 550Mhz, 16GB SD-Card, Raspbian

simplesi

Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:43 pm

So, you speed merchants are getting reliable 1G performance as long as you move the OS onto a USB drive?

mm- if its IS reliable, then it would be worth doing it for my class RPis to boost Scratch performance but its GOT to be reliable - I gave up on over clocking because of SD card corruptions which was completely disruptive in class situation.

Could you give me a quick link to the "how to move OS onto USB" please? :)

Simon
Seeking help with Scratch and I/O stuff for Primary age children
http://cymplecy.wordpress.com/ @cymplecy on twitter

lewzer

Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:12 am

simplesi wrote:So, you speed merchants are getting reliable 1G performance as long as you move the OS onto a USB drive?

mm- if its IS reliable, then it would be worth doing it for my class RPis to boost Scratch performance but its GOT to be reliable - I gave up on over clocking because of SD card corruptions which was completely disruptive in class situation.

Could you give me a quick link to the "how to move OS onto USB" please? :)

Simon
Here is a detailed tutorial to install the raspbian into USB flash drive: http://www.networkinghowtos.com/howto/r ... ory-stick/

I've been running RaspBMC (which is basically a raspbian with few extensions) off the USB stick for more than few weeks now at stable 1ghz and did not suffer any corruption or stability issues. On top of that, the performance from USB stick is a little better than having files on the SD card (even compared to 10 class SD card).

Overclocking my pi heavily (up to 1.2ghz) and running it did not cause any corruption issues so I assume it is quite safe to do so.

mrteach

Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:09 pm

Alright so I went for trying to boot off usb (took a while since I don't have a linux system, and tried ways to go around it), but just installed a virtual machine and followed the steps.

However after that long process it seems like the easy way for non-linux users or linux users as well, is to install wheezy (raspbian) on a 2gb sd card [using win32diskimager] and change the cmdline.txt on the fat32 part to

dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=ttyAMA0,115200 kgdboc=ttyAMA0,115200 console=tty1 root=/dev/sda2 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline rootwait
and your set =).
For the usb part I did rpi-clone (because an image from my original sdcard was too big for my usb). If your brand new to raspberry, just do another image of wheezy onto the usb and tada =)

Anyways so that I believe is the easier way. So I have it installed and all but my usb speeds suck compared to my sd card

SD - Write - 12.6Mb/s Read - 17.4Mb/s
USB - Write - 4.5Mb/s Read - 17.1Mb/s

Do you think i should go back to my sd card?

Oced to 950mhz =) i'll keep it at that for now. since it seems okay.

mrteach

Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:08 am

Mine is running at
arm_freq=950
core_freq=350
gpu_freq=350
sdram_freq=500
over_voltage=0
force_turbo=1

Processor       : ARMv6-compatible processor rev 7 (v6l)
BogoMIPS        : 944.53
Features        : swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp java tls
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant     : 0x0
CPU part        : 0xb76
CPU revision    : 7

Hardware        : BCM2708
Revision        : 000e
using 'stress' to test it. over an hour, average temperature is 54-55 C

I was reading about the warranty aspect about force_turbo. Mine is at 1 but still shows 000e.
Should I edit it to force_turbo=0 in order for it to be still in warranty?

Edit: Also tried sysbench. These results don't look that great

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ sysbench --test=cpu --cpu-max-prime=20000 --max-time=240 run
sysbench 0.4.12:  multi-threaded system evaluation benchmark

Running the test with following options:
Number of threads: 1

Doing CPU performance benchmark

Threads started!
Time limit exceeded, exiting...
Done.

Maximum prime number checked in CPU test: 20000

Test execution summary:
    total time:                          240.0284s
    total number of events:              2348
    total time taken by event execution: 240.0134
    per-request statistics:
         min:                                 95.47ms
         avg:                                102.22ms
         max:                                168.09ms
         approx.  95 percentile:             151.02ms

Threads fairness:
    events (avg/stddev):           2348.0000/0.00
    execution time (avg/stddev):   240.0134/0.00

lewzer

Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:41 am

mrteach wrote: Edit: Also tried sysbench. These results don't look that great

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ sysbench --test=cpu --cpu-max-prime=20000 --max-time=240 run
sysbench 0.4.12:  multi-threaded system evaluation benchmark

Running the test with following options:
Number of threads: 1

Doing CPU performance benchmark

Threads started!
Time limit exceeded, exiting...
Done.

Test execution summary:
    total time:                          240.0284s
    total number of events:              2348
    total time taken by event execution: 240.0134
    per-request statistics:
         min:                                 95.47ms
         avg:                                102.22ms
         max:                                168.09ms
         approx.  95 percentile:             151.02ms

Threads fairness:
    events (avg/stddev):           2348.0000/0.00
    execution time (avg/stddev):   240.0134/0.00
Interesting, are you sure you did not have anything else running at the time you ran this test? The avg and max score suggest that there is something other taking a part of the load from time to time. Here are my results using same command and same clocks except the overvolt at 2. All other processes that consume CPU are killed (check "top" before you run the test, you should not see more than 2% CPU being consumed at idle)

Test execution summary:
    total time:                          240.0362s
    total number of events:              2508
    total time taken by event execution: 240.0213
    per-request statistics:
         min:                                 95.53ms
         avg:                                 95.70ms
         max:                                130.86ms
         approx.  95 percentile:              95.84ms

Threads fairness:
    events (avg/stddev):           2508.0000/0.00
    execution time (avg/stddev):   240.0213/0.00
As you can see, the min values are pretty much the same, however, the avg, max and aprox 95 are lower on mine. The avg and aprox 95 values remain pretty much the same as minimum throughout all clocks when benchmarking on an idle CPU.

mrteach

Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:11 pm

15945 pi        20   0  4664 1368 1028 R   1.0  0.3   0:00.10 top
 2251 pi        20   0 11896 9008 1904 S   0.3  2.0   0:51.56 Xtightvnc
 2332 pi        20   0 81244 8616 6348 S   0.3  1.9   0:59.91 lxpanel
15924 pi        20   0  9804 1628  996 S   0.3  0.4   0:00.11 sshd
    1 root      20   0  2144  728  620 S   0.0  0.2   0:02.63 init
    2 root      20   0     0    0    0 S   0.0  0.0   0:00.01 kthreadd
    3 root      20   0     0    0    0 S   0.0  0.0   0:02.47 ksoftirqd/0
    5 root       0 -20     0    0    0 S   0.0  0.0   0:00.00 kworker/0:0H
    6 root      20   0     0    0    0 S   0.0  0.0   0:04.34 kworker/u:0
    7 root       0 -20     0    0    0 S   0.0  0.0   0:00.00 kworker/u:0H
    8 root       0 -20     0    0    0 S   0.0  0.0   0:00.00 khelper
    9 root      20   0     0    0    0 S   0.0  0.0   0:00.00 kdevtmpfs
   10 root       0 -20     0    0    0 S   0.0  0.0   0:00.00 netns
   12 root      20   0     0    0    0 S   0.0  0.0   0:00.01 bdi-default
   13 root       0 -20     0    0    0 S   0.0  0.0   0:00.00 kblockd
   14 root      20   0     0    0    0 S   0.0  0.0   0:00.26 khubd
   15 root       0 -20     0    0    0 S   0.0  0.0   0:00.00 rpciod
I have that. Xtightvnc, lxpanel and some others keep poping up. I'm doing all this in ssh if that matters

danno

Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:25 pm

My 512MB model B is at:

arm_freq=1100
core_freq=550
sdram_freq=550
over_voltage=6

So far, everything is stable. I haven't had any issues creep up (yet).

FWIW, I replaced deadline scheduler with noop.

I also set up_threshold to 60, sampling_down_factor to 10, and scaling_min_freq to 300MHz by changing part of the script /etc/init.d/switch_cpu_governor to look like so:

else
      SYS_CPUFREQ_GOVERNOR=/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
      [ -e $SYS_CPUFREQ_GOVERNOR ] && echo "ondemand" > $SYS_CPUFREQ_GOVERNOR
      echo 60 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold
      echo 10 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/sampling_down_factor
      echo 300000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq
      printf " No. Switching to ondemand scaling governor"
      log_end_msg 0
    fi
So now overclocking happens a little sooner, stays present a little longer, and the CPU idles at 300MHz vs 700.

My Pi is in a cyntech case with a 120mm fan nearby for circulation. Idle temperatures (in non-gui mode) are around 41C, and rarely go above 50C under load.

OTOH, with Chromium running in LXDE and a few tabs open, temps stay around 47-49C, which is still very good and the added general responsiveness has been worth it. For example, its SunSpider JavaScript results went from 10600ms to 6000ms with my current setup - quite an improvement.

make/install

Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:45 pm

my pi stable at

arm_freq = 1240
over_voltage = 8
core_freq = 250                              
current_limit_override=0x5A000020                                                                      
initial_turbo=30 
also it's stable at:

arm_freq = 1100
over_voltage = 4
core_freq = 500
current_limit_override=0x5A000020                                                                      
initial_turbo=30 

but when I'm trying to enable arm > 1100 and core > 250 in one time it isn't stable at all. And it's really strange, I can't understand why.

dom

Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:46 pm

make/install wrote:but when I'm trying to enable arm > 1100 and core > 250 in one time it isn't stable at all. And it's really strange, I can't understand why.
That would be perfectly explained by a power supply that gives up at that level.

(and current_limit_override is no longer required with latest firmware)

hojnikb

Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:10 am

is it possible to have overvoltage over 8 (eg. over 1.4V) or is this somehow hardcoded limit in hardware ?
+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ Everyone should have a taste of UK Raspberry Pie =D ~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
Rasberry Pi, SoC @ 1225Mhz :o, 256MB Ram @ 550Mhz, 16GB SD-Card, Raspbian

Return to “Advanced users”