makruiten

Re: Overclocking

Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:48 pm

On my RPi2 memtester gets killed during the first loop even without any overclocking whatsoever. I do have a DAC board installed and a case, so maybe that causes some additional heat. OpenELEC (latest Milhouse) is running fine though. Any idea what could be causing this? It's running under normal conditions (room temperature).

Edit: It was killed because I did not have 850MB of memory available. It didn't seem to mind, but after choosing a correct amount, it runs fine.

TheEgo

Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:37 pm

milhouse wrote:
TheEgo wrote:Is this thread ok to talk Overclocking of a Pi or should I start a new thread? Cheers again, much appreciated.
Of course - it is the "Overclocking" thread... it's just not the "OpenELEC problem" thread.
I missed the 'Pi3' bit, but I see it's just 'overclocking' and not Pi2 overclocking. I'm running stable at 1300 and 550 core, 500 sdram and 400 gpu (with a few other bits, like force turbo, sdram_schmoo=0x02000020 etc!! that's on openelec 6.0.3 though.

What are other people's settings and progress with the Pi3??

GTR2Fan

Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:40 pm

TheEgo wrote:What are other people's settings and progress with the Pi3??
I read a blog yesterday where one guy had a Pi3B up to 1.5GHz. He admitted to not having run any stress tests though, so the figure is totally meaningless as far as I'm concerned. Big numbers ain't worth a fart in a hurricane unless a person can prove it's stable under the heaviest of loads. :lol:
Pi2B Mini-PC/Media Centre: ARM=1GHz (+3), Core=500MHz, v3d=500MHz, h264=333MHz, RAM=DDR2-1200 (+6/+4/+4+schmoo). Sandisk Ultra HC-I 32GB microSD card on '50=100' OCed slot (42MB/s read) running Raspbian/KODI16, Seagate 3.5" 1.5TB HDD mass storage.

TheEgo

Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:56 pm

GTR2Fan wrote:
I read a blog yesterday where one guy had a Pi3B up to 1.5GHz. He admitted to not having run any stress tests though, so the figure is totally meaningless as far as I'm concerned. Big numbers ain't worth a fart in a hurricane unless a person can prove it's stable under the heaviest of loads. :lol:
Haha!! indeed :D :lol: I ran memtester and all ok, not got around to Quake yet though. I'm pretty confident I have a stable setting and to be honest, no massive overclocking has been done. Slighty disappointed in the speed in truth. Could be Kodi 15 though...

GTR2Fan

Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:05 pm

TheEgo wrote:Slightly disappointed in the speed in truth. Could be Kodi 15 though...
Or it's possible that it's starting to throttle back already. That would make performance a little lumpy. As several Pi3B have already been seen to throttle back at standard clock speeds under fairly modest loads, I'd be inclined to slap a heatsink on the SOC regardless.

If you wanted to explore whether it is throttling back or not, adding force_turbo=1 to config.txt then opening a terminal and running the following script in the background while running KODI would tell you whether it is or not...

Code: Select all

while true; do vcgencmd measure_temp && vcgencmd measure_clock arm; sleep 2; done
The clock speed should stay constant until thermal throttling starts to kick in. If it's always constant then it's not throttling back.
Pi2B Mini-PC/Media Centre: ARM=1GHz (+3), Core=500MHz, v3d=500MHz, h264=333MHz, RAM=DDR2-1200 (+6/+4/+4+schmoo). Sandisk Ultra HC-I 32GB microSD card on '50=100' OCed slot (42MB/s read) running Raspbian/KODI16, Seagate 3.5" 1.5TB HDD mass storage.

TheEgo

Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:29 pm

GTR2Fan wrote:
TheEgo wrote:Slightly disappointed in the speed in truth. Could be Kodi 15 though...
Or it's possible that it's starting to throttle back already. That would make performance a little lumpy. As several Pi3B have already been seen to throttle back at standard clock speeds under fairly modest loads, I'd be inclined to slap a heatsink on the SOC regardless.

If you wanted to explore whether it is throttling back or not, adding force_turbo=1 to config.txt then opening a terminal and running the following script in the background while running KODI would tell you whether it is or not...

Code: Select all

while true; do vcgencmd measure_temp && vcgencmd measure_clock arm; sleep 2; done
The clock speed should stay constant until thermal throttling starts to kick in. If it's always constant then it's not throttling back.
Cheers for that mate, really helpful. I'll run the test, one thing I didn't do was add a heatsink, totally forgot, cheers bud!!

makruiten

Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:33 am

Is there a max for the over voltages? I get bitflips at 600mhz +6+4+4+schmoo, but 575mhz at the same settings is fine. Is it advisable to go one step further to +7+5+5?

GTR2Fan

Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:51 am

makruiten wrote:Is there a max for the over voltages? I get bitflips at 600mhz +6+4+4+schmoo, but 575mhz at the same settings is fine. Is it advisable to go one step further to +7+5+5?
I think the safe limit is probably +8 as that's as far as is shown on the RPiconfig webpage...

http://elinux.org/RPiconfig#Overclocking

...but 'safe' is a relative term and I don't know how long anyone has run the RAM at that voltage to know just how safe it is for long-term usage.

Have you already explored +5/+3/+3? The window of stability vs voltage tends to narrow as the frequency goes up, so it doesn't necessarily help to just keep piling on the voltage.

You may have reached the stable limit of your particular RAM at 575MHz, but even that's an enormous overclock in percentage terms when you consider that the RAM is only specced at 400MHz. 8-)

https://www.micron.com/parts/dram/mobil ... 2b4pb-8d-f

Trixster

Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:51 pm

I've got two RPi3s

One is running the milhouse kodi builds. I haven't pushed the arm freq on this one yet. This will play 1080p x265 videos without a hitch, however if i loop high action scenes it will eventually hit 80degs and start to throttle. playback remains good until arm speed drops below around 850mhz.

arm=1200
sdram=600
core=500
schmoo=0x2000020
arm voltage = +2
sdram voltage = +5

The other is for retropie, LMS and general use. Modest arm overclock. This one will run 4x memtest 140 4 (making all 4 cores run at 100%) without any errors but it will throttle right down to 700mhz and the temp is consistently 82-85 degs as reported by bcmstat.

arm=1300
sdram=550
core=500
schmoo=0x2000020
arm voltage = +6
sdram voltage = +5

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:54 pm

Trixster wrote: One is running the milhouse kodi builds. I haven't pushed the arm freq on this one yet. This will play 1080p x265 videos without a hitch, however if i loop high action scenes it will eventually hit 80degs and start to throttle. playback remains good until arm speed drops below around 850mhz.
A heatsink is recommended on a Pi3 with overclock and heavy processing (and H.265 is probably the heaviest use case there is, with use of multi-core NEON, plus vector GPU and QPU code running).

Trixster

Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:57 pm

I have a bunch on the way from pimoroni.

TheEgo

Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:52 pm

Trixster wrote:I've got two RPi3s

One is running the milhouse kodi builds. I haven't pushed the arm freq on this one yet. This will play 1080p x265 videos without a hitch, however if i loop high action scenes it will eventually hit 80degs and start to throttle. playback remains good until arm speed drops below around 850mhz.

arm=1200
sdram=600
core=500
schmoo=0x2000020
arm voltage = +2
sdram voltage = +5

The other is for retropie, LMS and general use. Modest arm overclock. This one will run 4x memtest 140 4 (making all 4 cores run at 100%) without any errors but it will throttle right down to 700mhz and the temp is consistently 82-85 degs as reported by bcmstat.

arm=1300
sdram=550
core=500
schmoo=0x2000020
arm voltage = +6
sdram voltage = +5
Interesting settings there. I'm amazed you've been able to play x265 with such a modest overclock. Mine won't touch it. Are you using the latest build to get it working with those OC settings? I may look at your voltage settings as per your first build settings. as mine differ. Do you force turbo with those settings? any other settings you've not listed? Always willing to give other people's settings a bash. Oh and what power source? 2.5amp? does this make a difference when OC'ing guys? are you running straight from SD card or other means? I'm using a msata ssd on my Pi3 and HDD's with 3 Pi2 (they seem pretty quick to be fair)

Sorry for all the questions, interested in your comments on this. Cheers.

GTR2Fan

Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:57 pm

TheEgo wrote:I'm amazed you've been able to play x265 with such a modest overclock. Mine won't touch it.
It could be that one is throttling back heavily and the other one isn't. x265 is very CPU intensive, especially at high resolutions.

TheEgo

Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:20 pm

GTR2Fan wrote:
TheEgo wrote:I'm amazed you've been able to play x265 with such a modest overclock. Mine won't touch it.
It could be that one is throttling back heavily and the other one isn't. x265 is very CPU intensive, especially at high resolutions.
Sure, that's why I'm interested to know what build and is there a heatsink etc! Mine is overclocked, but literally can't play any x265, be it 1080p or 720p. I may try looking at my voltage. I have a new heatsink coming tomorrow, so will put that on. What are your entire config.txt settings for Pi3? (out of interest?) I'm not sure If I have something that is offsetting something else and thus affecting the performance.

GTR2Fan

Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:25 pm

TheEgo wrote:What are your entire config.txt settings for Pi3? (out of interest?) I'm not sure If I have something that is offsetting something else and thus affecting the performance.
I'm still on an overclocked Pi2B so, even though my config.txt would still be relevant, I'll hold off posting mine while you guys discuss your Pi3Bs to save confusion. :)

Trixster

Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:23 pm

The Kodi pi is running the nightly Milhouse builds, force_turbo=1 and avoid_warnings=2. It's using a 3.5amp psu too.

It could be that your psu isn't up to it - if the voltage drops then the pi will throttle the cpu and this could be killing your performance. Similarly the heat on your pi3 could also be throttling your cpu.

I've now fitted a little heatsink to each pi3 and this makes a noticeable difference to how long it takes each pi to heat up when cpu load on each core is 100%. I can now only just hit 80degs and see throttling back to 1100mhz when running something like mprime for extended sessions.

If you read the rpi nightly build thread on Kodi forums you'll see that the sdram speed makes a big difference to x265 decoding. 550/600mhz for the sdram is not considered to be a small overclock, it's actually quite decent.

I found that an rpi3 at stock speeds would play some 1080p x265 high action scenes with no issue so I'm surprised you're having issues.
Last edited by Trixster on Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dom

Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:58 pm

Here is a sample HEVC file that should be playable. It probably needs overclock on Pi2 but I think it plays on default settings with Pi3.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-6zmE ... sp=sharing

TheEgo

Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:16 pm

Trixster wrote:The Kodi pi is running the nightly Milhouse builds, force_turbo=1 and avoid_warnings=2. It's using a 3.5amp psu too.

It could be that your psu isn't up to it - if the voltage drops then the pi will throttle the cpu and this could be killing your performance. Similarly the heat on your pi3 could also be throttling your cpu.

I've now fitted a little heatsink to each pi3 and this makes a noticeable difference to how long it takes each pi to heat up when cpu load on each core is %100. I can now only just hit 8degs and see throttling back to 1100mhz when running something like mprime for extended sessions.

If you read the rpi nightly build thread on Kodi forums you'll see that the sdram speed makes a big difference to x265 decoding. 550/600mhz for the sdram is not considered to be a small overclock, it's actually quite decent.

I found that an rpi3 at stock speeds would play some 1080p x265 high action scenes with no issue so I'm surprised you're having issues.
Defo need to consider the PSU as I'm using a 2.1amp, with no warning signs, so I figured I'd got away with it, been meaning to get a 3 amp anyway, so I'll pop into maplins tomorrow and then give it a whirl.

Dom thanks for the HEVEC file, this is interesting as it plays x265 if It's on my device or on my cloud storage, but won't stream and I have a Real debrid account, so I wonder if it's wifi speeds as opposed to just the overclock settings? although it has the classic break up of picture and the playback being behind the sound etc that I used to get on my Pi2 so I associate that with how it's been decoded and it's struggling. I'll try that file. My wifi speeds are about 16mbs by the way. I try the other OC settings after I've tried a new power source, just to rule that out. Cheers for the feedback Trixster and thanks for the file to test Dom, much appreciated.

TheEgo

Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:47 pm

TheEgo wrote:
Trixster wrote:The Kodi pi is running the nightly Milhouse builds, force_turbo=1 and avoid_warnings=2. It's using a 3.5amp psu too.

I've now fitted a little heatsink to each pi3 and this makes a noticeable difference to how long it takes each pi to heat up when cpu load on each core is %100. I can now only just hit 8degs and see throttling back to 1100mhz when running something like mprime for extended sessions.

Defo need to consider the PSU as I'm using a 2.1amp, with no warning signs, so I figured I'd got away with it, been meaning to get a 3 amp anyway, so I'll pop into maplins tomorrow and then give it a whirl.

Dom thanks for the HEVEC file, this is interesting as it plays x265 if It's on my device or on my cloud storage, but won't stream and I have a Real debrid account, so I wonder if it's wifi speeds as opposed to just the overclock settings? although it has the classic break up of picture and the playback being behind the sound etc that I used to get on my Pi2 so I associate that with how it's been decoded and it's struggling. I'll try that file. My wifi speeds are about 16mbs by the way. I try the other OC settings after I've tried a new power source, just to rule that out. Cheers for the feedback Trixster and thanks for the file to test Dom, much appreciated.
Mate can I ask where you got the 3.5 amp? I'm struggling to get one. I can get 2.5 amp or the twin 4.2 amp (or something like that) both being 2.1amp, but no 3.5amp to micro usb?

java

Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:04 am

I am reading this thread with interest, here you blokes are overclocking your RPi 3's, and elsewhere folks are crying about their normal RPi 3's running abnormally hot.

Also interested in sourcing a 3.5 amp power supply.

Hoping a RPi 3 will fit in my budget at month end.

TheEgo

Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:44 am

http://www.amazon.co.uk/3000mA-Adaptor- ... %20adapter

Link for a 3.5amp power adapter with micro usb :D

RaTTuS

Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:58 am

How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

TheEgo

Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:16 am

RaTTuS wrote:http://www.amazon.co.uk/Betron-Adapter- ... 0100EYJES/
I've had good success with those
It's a good device and I have them for my children and all their various gadgets, but no single supply is 3.5amp, the max is 2.4amp from any usb slot. If you just want a solo 3.5 amp then my link above will do the job. This is good for multi use though for sure. Doesn't do what I need it to for Overclocking purposes and is not the recommended 2.5amp that the Pi supposedly needs at default settings.

davidcoton

Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:40 am

TheEgo wrote:
RaTTuS wrote:http://www.amazon.co.uk/Betron-Adapter- ... 0100EYJES/
I've had good success with those
It's a good device and I have them for my children and all their various gadgets, but no single supply is 3.5amp, the max is 2.4amp from any usb slot. If you just want a solo 3.5 amp then my link above will do the job. This is good for multi use though for sure. Doesn't do what I need it to for Overclocking purposes and is not the recommended 2.5amp that the Pi supposedly needs at default settings.
AIUI 2.5A allows for a full set of peripherals. In my current (pun intended) experience the cable gauge (thickness) is the limiting factor, thin cables lose too much voltage way before reaching 2A.
Signature retired

ejolson

Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:04 am

GTR2Fan wrote:
As far as stress tests go, it appears the standard Linpack linear algebra benchmark may be too much for even stock settings on the Pi 3B. On the other hand, rather than heat related, the problems may be power related or issues with USB cables that are too thin. At any rate, it appears the readers of this thread are getting good performance with the 3B, but may be in need of a stress test. It would be great of a few people could run the Linpack binary from the other thread and report back whether it works on stock settings, over clock or whether under clock is required.

Return to “Advanced users”