PieterJ

Re: Overclocking

Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:09 am

I know. I am just fiddling with this little thing for now. Good to know what affects power stability.

XBMCantgetenough

Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:58 pm

PieterJ wrote:Found out the hard way how important the stable power supply is for overclocking.

Now running OpenArena benchmark stable at
  • 1160 ARM
  • 650 Core
  • 400 GPU
  • 600 SDRAM
  • overvoltage=8
  • overvoltage_sdram=6
I had a lot of SD Card corruption issues when clocking GPU over 350MHz (with high arm, core, sdram). With another USB cable I can go past 400MHz GPU easily.
  • "long usb cable" at USB2.0 port => 4.45V under load
  • "long usb cable" at USB3.0 port => 4.51V under load
  • "short usb cable" at USB3.0 port => 4.71V under load
Run this command

Code: Select all

vcgencmd measure_clock core
this would give you the speed your core is actually running. From experience you will get 500 and not the assumed clock speed of 650 you think. The maximum speed your core can run is 600 (I tried 601 in my setup and it defaulted to 500). I've set mine up
to 560 and I can go to about 580 but its not stable at that speed. I actually thought I got my core to 700 once before I knew about the code that test it. report back on your findings

PorkPi

Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:28 pm

Having way to much fun!

Here are the settings I am using at the moment.

Current best Overclock/volt:
arm_freq=1125
gpu_freq=538
sdram_freq=513
over_voltage=8

No stability issues at all so far.
Midori works much better as well.

huckfh

Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:40 pm

Hi everyone, i'm trying to test my overclock stability, i found this script on the wiki, can someone please explain me how properly run it? i tried to save it in a text file as .sh , and i tried to run it through the lxterminal, but i get an error.

#!/bin/bash
#Simple stress test for system. If it survives this, it's probably stable.
#Free software, GPL2+

echo "Testing overclock stability..."

#Max out the CPU in the background (one core). Heats it up, loads the power-supply. 
nice yes >/dev/null &

#Read the entire SD card 10x. Tests RAM and I/O
for i in `seq 1 10`; do echo reading: $i; sudo dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=/dev/null bs=4M; done

#Writes 512 MB test file,  10x.
for i in `seq 1 10`; do echo writing: $i; dd if=/dev/zero of=deleteme.dat bs=1M count=512; sync; done

#Clean up
killall yes
rm deleteme.dat

#Print summary. Anything nasty will appear in dmesg.
echo -n "CPU freq: " ; cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq
echo -n "CPU temp: " ; cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp
dmesg | tail 

echo "Not crashed yet, probably stable."

thank you in advance.

edit: solved following this guide http://cagewebdev.com/index.php/raspber ... l-scripts/ thank you anyways.

meigrafd

Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:58 pm

If you use Windows to create teh Script-File you must use a Linux compatible Editor like notepad++, Proton or UltraEdit - coz Windows uses other Linebreak Codes as Linux but Linux doesnt understand the Windows'ones

Or you simple copy&past it directly into your Console to a Linux Editor like "nano"

PS: And next time simple post the Error message too ;)

huckfh

Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:57 pm

meigrafd wrote:If you use Windows to create teh Script-File you must use a Linux compatible Editor like notepad++, Proton or UltraEdit - coz Windows uses other Linebreak Codes as Linux but Linux doesnt understand the Windows'ones

Or you simple copy&past it directly into your Console to a Linux Editor like "nano"

PS: And next time simple post the Error message too ;)
Thank you very much for the advice =)

In the end my rpi passed the stress test of the script , so it was seeming pretty stable with these settings:

arm_freq=900
cpu_freq=450
sdram_freq=450

but today i started trying Quake 3 and it froze after 5 seconds of the launch, so i tried with over_voltage=2 and it was going fine, until that after like 20 mins of playing it started stuttering, and my keyboard/mouse were turning off and on repeatedly, so i tried increasing over_voltage=4 and then over_voltage=6 same result , stuttering and losing power.
Since i was powering the Rpi through my Usb Hub like this:

(right-click on the image to view it at the original size)

My Hub Psu has 5v , 3.5 mA and it was going great while stressing it with the script, ( even if i'm not wrong usb 2.0 are 500 mA maximum and as far as i read rpi rev.2 512 mb needs around 700 mA to be safe ) until i tried Quake 3 today.
So i thought wasn't enough power and i tried first with this psu:

https://www.modmypi.com/raspberry-pi-po ... =5v%201500

With the same results , stuttering , losing power after 10/20 minutes.
So since i had some troubles with this psu when i received my Rpi i tried with the Nexus 7 battery charger: Asus 5v 2.0 mA that i think should be a good quality but i had the same results too, i wasnt able to play for more than 20 minutes at 900 / 450 / 450 .

Issues with the ModMyPi psu:

When i received the Rpi i connected this psu
https://www.modmypi.com/raspberry-pi-po ... =5v%201500
and i connected my powered hub to the wall with his personal psu, and the micro usb to usb cable of the hub, to the lower rpi usb port:

for some weird reasons the Rpi was ignoring the Psu of the Hub, it was like the Rpi was having the priority to give power to the Hub and to all the stuff connected to it ( mouse, keyboard, wifi dongle ); to clarify more it was like the hub psu wasn't connected to the wall ( it was working but wasn't providing 500 ma to each usb port, cause this hub can works also without his psu) , but it was connected properly to the wall, then i changed Usb port of the Rpi and i noticed that using the Higher usb port all was working properly. Since i solved that issue using the higher port i stopped worrying about it, but i hope that someone can explains me why this was happening and if it was "normal".

Returning to the main topic now i was able to run Quake 3 with these settings:

arm_freq=900
over_voltage=2
using the Hub as psu.

Even if i put only cpu_freq=300 i start having the stuttering and "losing the power" after 20 minutes of gameplay.

edit: tried playing more with only arm_freq=900 and over_voltage=2 the problem persisted also with these settings. Even at arm_freq=850 / 800 using the modmypi psu, nexus 7 charger and usb hub.

Thank you in advance for any kind of advice and help that i will receive.

ps. I'm sorry for my poor english.

edit: I just read this from the wiki:
Working power Adapters

There is now a 5.25V 1500mA power supply manufactured specially for the Raspberry Pi to account for voltage drop due to the high current draw of the Raspberry Pi when compared to typical (phone charging etc.) duties.
Available in UK, EU, USA and AU varieties from Pi Hut and Pi Supply
this is the psu linked on the wiki:

http://thepihut.com/products/eu-micro-u ... spberry-pi

this is the psu that i bought from modmypi:

https://www.modmypi.com/raspberry-pi-po ... r_name=psu

aren't they the same? so why should i have problems with this psu, if as stated from the wiki it was manufactured for the rpi?

Mennims

Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:13 am

Currently running at 950mhz, core is 350, sdram 350 and gpu 350, over voting 6. I have been to 1ghz before and it was stable, I have a cooling fan and at the moment installing quake 3,then I will set the cpu to 1ghz and sdram 500, also the gpu be 400 and core frequency, hoping to post some awesome fps as I hear people complaining about them

meigrafd

Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:17 am

If you want to power your Pi over an USB-Hub you must use some kind of Y-cable to support the needed 700mA to the PI - coz one USB-Port only gives 500mA out but the PI (Model-B) needs at last 700mA to run stable

So: Y-Cable to get Power outa 2 USB-Ports on Hub-side and put them into 1 USB-Port on RPI-side

The other thing is that the RaspberryPI has a Polyfuse which throttle the Ampere to a maximum of 1A so more the RPI doesnt accept even if your PowerSupply can give 5A - thats why you must use an Active USB-Hub when you want to use external USB-HDD or similar (coz the RPI himself needs 700mA so there are only ~300mA left for both USB-Ports etc)

Analekto

Wed May 21, 2014 6:01 pm

A little bit late to the party...but here you go nevertheless.
1200 MHz stable

config.txt settings
arm_freq=1200
sdram_freq=550
core_freq=550
force_turbo=1
initial_turbo=30
over_voltage=8
current_limit_override=0x5A000020
framebuffer_depth=24
gpu_mem_256=128
gpu_mem_512=192
start_x=1
kernel=kernel-3.10.36.img

Proof of concept
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAcB9C5G_U8

Any suggestions to get past 1230MHz stable, I'm all ears :D

SaturnusDJ

Sat May 24, 2014 4:47 pm

Here is my overclock.

force_turbo=1

over_voltage=4
arm_freq=980
sdram_freq=560

avoid_pwm_pll=1
core_freq=480

gpu_freq=450
 h264_freq=450
 isp_freq=450
 v3d_freq=450

gpu_mem=128
I use avoid_pwm_pll because I don't use analog audio at all, HDMI only.
So if I'm correct the weird core vs gpu divider story can be forgotten in my case.

Any comments?

Question:
Setting different values for h264, isp and v3d is useless right?
So maybe I can remove those three lines and only keep gpu_freq?

bryanandaimee

Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:43 pm

In response to the request for suggestions on how to get past 1230 MHz. Check out the volt modding discussion. It's not hard. I did it myself with an LM317 circuit to give variable core voltage control. You do have to remove an inductor from the board so if you're SMD challenged then beware. I have gotten to 1450 MHz so far. Of course you might fry your Pi. :)

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 63&t=69929

Dan Froberg

Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:53 pm

You can skip the LM317 circuit! :D

Sold a wire from the regulator RG1 (the middle pin) to capacitor C16 (on the lead farthest away from RG1).
Remove the inductor L5. Thats it!

This volt modd holds for RPI ver A and B. It sets steady 1.8V to CPU.

Before the modd i reached 1150 MHz - now I got stable 1400 MHz !!!
The overclocking feels stable and fun, no random effects as before.
avoid_pwm_pll=1 is important during the experimentation.
Later you can replace it with a calculated value to gpu_freq.
gpu_mem=128, is enough for 1080p, =192 is good.

I don't override and don't need to rise the temp_limit.
Then it stays on 700 and gives 1400 when needed.
That can easy be followed by holding mouse over a panel Item
called "CPUFreq frontend" chosen in the Panel Preferences.
Also "Temperature Monitor" is very nice - turns red near 85.

over_voltage=6 and over_voltage_sdram=6
If you override by force_turbo=1 you can have it max 8.
Then you can try reach 1500 MHz (the official world record of today) :ugeek:

Try find out some good benchmark-snippets to test on.
I recommend to try start with core_freq=600 and sdram_freq=600
Step by step find lesser values that make benchmark tests faster.
If not faster by lesser values, then try higher. Too high is not fun...
it freezes, RAM dumps, SD write errors that can force you to reinstallation.

Have fun ! :lol:

bryanandaimee

Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:16 pm

Very nice! Keep it simple. Once you do that though I don't think over_voltage settings do anything. You'll notice your ring_osc readings won't change no matter what you do to the over_voltage setting. It will report an erroneous voltage based on the over_voltage setting but the actual ring_osc frequency will always be the 1.8V frequency.

With latest firmware,

vcgencmd read_ring_osc

will report the speed of your ring oscillator which correlates to how fast your silicon is capable of going.

Bryan

RRainbo

Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:46 pm

is there any command that returns ram clock?

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:25 pm

RRainbo wrote:is there any command that returns ram clock?
There isn't. The sdram clock is rather different to the other clocks and the measure scheme doesn't work in the same way.

Dan Froberg

Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:55 am

In two weeks I've tried the hardware hack mentioned in my previous post.
I can't overclock more than 1700 MHz, but it stays very stable there.

The 1.8V taken from the on board regulator does not make it go 1700 all time.
It is 700MHz idle and go 1700 as fast you do something.
Sometimes when Midori browser do something heavy, like facebook,
the CPU swaps between 1700 and 700 MHz (very useful panel tool shows).

So the next best "overclocking" after the hardware hack is to get a cooler.

Well Bryanandaimee :? With 'vcgencmd' it will not reach 1.8V. When CPU is idle ...

vcgencmd read_ring_osc
read_ring_osc(2)=4.943MHz (@1.20V)

... when opening browser with a lot of tabs and a heavy program like Mathematika it go hot (80 degree) ...

vcgencmd read_ring_osc
read_ring_osc(2)=4.890MHz (@1.35V)

I don't know what the 'read_ring_osc(2)' means but it seems nearly stable.
The easy hack gives nice results, but the on board regulator can't feed it up to 1.8V?
Putting a regulator is not a big cost or much work. That gives probably even better results.
Last edited by Dan Froberg on Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

bryanandaimee

Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:36 pm

1700 Mhz, very nice! That looks like a new world record to me. I haven't seen anyone report a higher value yet.

If you want it to go 1700Mhz all the time you have to set

force_turbo=1

in the config file. Otherwise you will get the CPU alternating between 700 and 1700 as you report depending on the load. It might be less stable if you do force it to stay at 1700 though because the CPU would stay hotter. It's probably easier to let the governor switch frequencies based on the load.

The frequency reported by the ring oscillator corresponds to the speed potential of the silicon. It should directly relate to the voltage. So at 1.2V the ring oscillator should be around 3 Mhz but yours is much higher so we can see from your measurements that the reported voltage is not correct. This is expected since you have the voltage hard wired to 1.8V so it never goes to 1.2V or 1.35V in reality. It is always at 1.8V, but the software thinks it is still in control of the voltage and reports the voltage the software is calling for.

You can also see the effect of temperature on the silicon here too. Your second measurement was at high load and likely higher temperature, and you can see the ring oscillator slow down a bit.

rapi_usr19

Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:47 pm

Hi,
i am really new in raspberry pi and don't have experiences. I got my raspi 3 days ago and i tried som programming stuff and like that. I just noticed that my cpu is while surfing in net totally filled. So i just want to ask if ocerclocking help and how can i do that without losing warranty.

wallarug

Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:52 am

rapi_usr19 wrote:Hi,
i am really new in raspberry pi and don't have experiences. I got my raspi 3 days ago and i tried som programming stuff and like that. I just noticed that my cpu is while surfing in net totally filled. So i just want to ask if ocerclocking help and how can i do that without losing warranty.
In a terminal window type:

sudo raspi-config
Then you will be presented with a nice blue screen with options on it. From my memory there is one that says: "advanced" or "other" or something similar. Select that one using the arrow keys on your keyboard and hit enter.

Then there is an option called "overclocking". Select this one.

Read the warning message. Then continue.

Using the arrow keys on your keyboard and select and 'overclock'. I suggest maybe 900Mhz to start. If you feel brave try 1000Mhz. Just remember that some people have problems on 1000Mhz.

Hit enter on the one you want and navigate to the "exit / close" and then say yes to "restart". Done.

Hope this works!! :D

More info here: http://elinux.org/RPi_raspi-config

rapi_usr19

Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:13 pm

I overclocked to 800Mhz but there is no change- the CPU usage is still 100% if I play eat a squirrels is this normal? The temperature of arm didn't change and all at all it works but how it is with 1Ghz overclocking(turbo)?

wallarug

Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:21 pm

rapi_usr19 wrote:I overclocked to 800Mhz but there is no change- the CPU usage is still 100% if I play eat a squirrels is this normal? The temperature of arm didn't change and all at all it works but how it is with 1Ghz overclocking(turbo)?
I'll be honest, I have not used the web browser on the rpi for ages. The last time I used it was in 2013 when the software was garbage. When I used it then, it would always take up the full cpu. I don't know if that has changed since the update. Maybe someone else could tell you.

From my experiences, trying to use the pi for anything in the gui is slow (about 0.5x windows PC). So don't be worried if you have a slow pi.

Give 1000mhz a go if you want. That will definantly make it quicker.

DiegoHome

1225MHz 'STABLE' Overclocking Test settings

Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:17 am

Hello Folks ... I'm new here.
I bow down from south of France 8-) .

My 'Framboise B' is powered by HDMIPi and MB-MP16D Class10 µSDHC card in an adapter .
Wireless Connection for PuTTY SSH with LINDY 52213 WiFi/BT combo.
I've added 2x BMR-C1 on SoC and LAN chip, glued with Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive (tape removed).

Below my Pi overclock settings - validated by http://elinux.org/RPiconfig#Overclock_stability_test:
- Running 2014-09-09-wheezy-raspbian image ( 3.12.28+ #709 ) .
  • arm_freq=1225
    core_freq=600
    sdram_freq=550
    over_voltage=8 # Active when force_turbo=1 but ...
    force_turbo=1 # Sets definitively OTP Warranty Bit !
    • look at: vcgencmd otp_dump
      line - 32:00000001
    initial_turbo=10 # not needed for now. There is an alternative with over_voltage_sdram .
    temp_limit=65 # Disables Overclock and Overvoltage when the SoC reaches xx °C .
Notes:
- Temperature= 55.1 °C at Stress Test End (and 47.6 °C habitual task use)
- Governor= ondemand
  • # lowering up_threshold value may give speed gap: Edit
    • /etc/init.d/switch_cpu_governor
  • # performance Governor increases CPU Freq permanently from Power On,
    - Edit /etc/rc.local and add line:
    • echo performance > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
- Memory Split: ARM=448 /GPU=64
- VDD_Core OUTn: 1.40 V (+0.20 Overvoltage)
- Ring Oscillator= 3.898MHz (Stress) / 3.928MHz (Normal)

Ok, that was my experiments ...
Grettings.

unpopular_opinion

Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:04 am

Is the warranty voided when the bit is "0" or "1"?

dom

Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:19 am

unpopular_opinion wrote:Is the warranty voided when the bit is "0" or "1"?
"1". E.g, this was warranty bit set:

Revision	: 1000010

kid1412

Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:34 pm

Hello all, I'm new here.

I'm overclocking Raspberry Pi B+ to increase the capturing rate of the Pi camera. Because of that, I have decided to overclock my Pi to raise isp_freq and SDRam clock.

Here's my configuration

disable_splash=1
start_x=1

arm_freq=1000
force_turbo=1

# Overclocking
core_freq=500
sdram_freq=600
over_voltage=6

gpu_freq=500
After the Pi starts up, the frequency of ISP remains at 500 MHz. But when I try to take a picture by using raspistill, the ISP frequency drops to 250 MHz as default. From then on, it never increases to 500 MHz again.

With the same configuration, I monitored the H.264 frequency, too. It droped too 333.33 MHz and keeps stable at that.

As for as I know from this http://elinux.org/RPiconfig#Clocks_relationship, the clock relationship between ISP core's and H.264 core's frequency must be the same as the GPU frequency.

So why the frequency of H.264 core is higher than the that of ISP core? Could someone explain it for me? If someone tried overclocking ISP core, could you tell me the maximum frequency of the ISP core and how did you do that?

If you see my configuration has some problems, please give me some advice.
A Raspberry Pi beginner

Return to “Advanced users”