jets

Read solar charger through RS232 (MPP solar PCM-6048)

Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:10 am

Hello,

I have a solar charger, MPP Solar model PCM-6048, which has RS232 interface.

Manufacturer only provides Windows software, but they finally managed to send me the protocol specs of RS232 communications.

I already have add-on board that has 1-wire and RS232 serial port. The 1-wire works good and apparently the RS232 too.

However, I am not too familiar with writing code to read the stuff from scratch.

So, the question is, how do I proceed on reading the solar charger data through RS232?

I would attach the protocol spec document, but it is PDF and that is not allowed. But I hope this link works: https://www.dropbox.com/s/funk3gpyf36qk ... harger.pdf

The document states this fact:
This document describes the Helios Inverter protocol, adopted to communicate with all
communication products, like Supervisor, Network communication, etc...
This protocol will be implemented in the PV equipment, in order to use the same driver for all
products.
But googling for helios inverter protocol and linux does not help. I believe this should be quite simple, as I do not need to configure the charge regulator, I only need to read some values it gives.

Any help would be appreciated. This charge regulator is a cheap MPPT charge regulator and I believe many would appreciate the linux software/scripts/whatever to collect data from it.

I can write a bit of Python, I guess, by tweaking and copy pasting example code.

Northland

Re: Read solar charger through RS232 (MPP solar PCM-6048)

Sat May 07, 2016 9:33 am

Any luck?
I have a pip-4048ms

jets

Re: Read solar charger through RS232 (MPP solar PCM-6048)

Sat May 07, 2016 2:17 pm

Northland wrote:Any luck?
I have a pip-4048ms
Unfortunately no luck. I eventually gave up as I did not find any information.

Return to “Advanced users”