Swiftek

Re: HOWTO: Move the filesystem to a USB stick/Drive

Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:38 am

Stone Man wrote:
Swiftek wrote:I use this to save wear on the SD card - which doesn't like lots of writes - and to prevent corruptions that seemed accompany that. Since I moved to a HDD, I've had no more long-term system problems. My server runs 24/7, and the SD cards didn't seem to like that.
That's very nice to know. Can you suggest any cheap HDDs that will get the job done? Price is more of a matter than size. I only have 25GB worth of data.

If the price is too high for my taste, I don't mind finding or writing a script to reboot the system every night at midnight.
Any ol' HDD will do. If you don't have any lying around, then all that matters is what you're willing to pay, and what drives the price is size. All brands are equally excellent, so get the cheapest that meets your size need.

I use my Pi as a central file server, torrent seedbox, and a public facing web server, so I have two 2-TB HDDs with one running the system and both housing our vast media collection of movies, music and software archives for network access. I run Raspbian with Samba for local file sharing, and a LAMP stack for web serving.

I mostly use NewEgg.com when I'm bargain hunting, and below is a good example of a cheap drive that will likely do all you need, and the enclosure that I'm actually using on an older B model Pi. Generally, any SATA HDD will work with any SATA enclosure, but the Pi can be finicky about the enclosure. Another important requirement - beyond compatibility - is that the HDD enclosure have its own power supply. You can't rely on the power coming from the Pi's USB ports (a common mistake/failure in the Pi universe).

A cheap but good HDD (US $12):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822178367
My Enclosure - also cheap and good (US $16):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 4991C82715

If you need any more help, feel free to contact me directly - I love helping. You can find me here, or in IRC (EsperNet #raspberrypi).

Good luck!

Stone Man

Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:16 pm

Swiftek wrote:
Stone Man wrote:
Swiftek wrote:I use this to save wear on the SD card - which doesn't like lots of writes - and to prevent corruptions that seemed accompany that. Since I moved to a HDD, I've had no more long-term system problems. My server runs 24/7, and the SD cards didn't seem to like that.
That's very nice to know. Can you suggest any cheap HDDs that will get the job done? Price is more of a matter than size. I only have 25GB worth of data.

If the price is too high for my taste, I don't mind finding or writing a script to reboot the system every night at midnight.
Any ol' HDD will do. If you don't have any lying around, then all that matters is what you're willing to pay, and what drives the price is size. All brands are equally excellent, so get the cheapest that meets your size need.

I use my Pi as a central file server, torrent seedbox, and a public facing web server, so I have two 2-TB HDDs with one running the system and both housing our vast media collection of movies, music and software archives for network access. I run Raspbian with Samba for local file sharing, and a LAMP stack for web serving.

I mostly use NewEgg.com when I'm bargain hunting, and below is a good example of a cheap drive that will likely do all you need, and the enclosure that I'm actually using on an older B model Pi. Generally, any SATA HDD will work with any SATA enclosure, but the Pi can be finicky about the enclosure. Another important requirement - beyond compatibility - is that the HDD enclosure have its own power supply. You can't rely on the power coming from the Pi's USB ports (a common mistake/failure in the Pi universe).

A cheap but good HDD (US $12):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822178367
My Enclosure - also cheap and good (US $16):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 4991C82715

If you need any more help, feel free to contact me directly - I love helping. You can find me here, or in IRC (EsperNet #raspberrypi).

Good luck!
Thank you, wow! All the HDDs I found were much higher priced! I think I may look for a different encloser, but other than that, I do imagine I will go with an HDD.

I completely forgot about the crontab, and I'm thinking about making a scheduled reboot guide for those using MicroSD. That way, it'll always be fresh and they never have to worry about rebooting themselves.

fruitoftheloom

Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:51 pm

Stone Man wrote: Thank you, wow! All the HDDs I found were much higher priced! I think I may look for a different encloser, but other than that, I do imagine I will go with an HDD.

I completely forgot about the crontab, and I'm thinking about making a scheduled reboot guide for those using MicroSD. That way, it'll always be fresh and they never have to worry about rebooting themselves.
http://store.wdc.com/store/wdeu/en_GB/D ... iDrive_Kit
My only "PC" is an Asus ChromeBit running ChromeOS, cloudcentric at its best !
Rockchip Quad-Core RK3288C SoC as used in ASUS Chromebook C201 & Chromebook Flip C100PA as well as the Tinker SBC

Stone Man

Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:11 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Stone Man wrote: Thank you, wow! All the HDDs I found were much higher priced! I think I may look for a different encloser, but other than that, I do imagine I will go with an HDD.

http://store.wdc.com/store/wdeu/en_GB/D ... iDrive_Kit
It'd be nice to get the cord without the drive. I don't need that size.

paulv

Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:12 pm

This post should really not be "hijacked" by HDD types and where to buy them.
But since we're at that subject, I use an SSD drive that I previously used in my Dell laptop to speed-up that up. I purchased a USB adapter for it, and it now acts as my main disk for my Pi server (24X7).

It serves to show that the original procedure is (still) valid for many types of "drives" instead of the SD card. Quite some time ago, I changed the original title to include drives to reflect that.

Enjoy,
paulv

julespiman

Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:30 pm

Hi,
I followed the tutorial exactly as shown, but after rebooting got a kernel panic and a failure to continue to startup and login.

"unable to mount root fs on unknown=block(0.1)"
The final line is "random: nonblocking pool is initialized"
I cant get the pi to continue rebooting, so am stuck at this part.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Swiftek

Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:10 pm

First, I'd try it again, exactly the same way, from the beginning, just to be sure - personally I do things at least 3 times before changing the plan.

Secondly, consider that not all hardware works with the Pi. Try switching out each component one at a time. You may find - like I did - that your external drive or other media just can't play well with the Pi. Trial and error is the only way to be sure.

Beyond that, I'd need much more detail about your exact procedure.

Good luck!

ozpete999

Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:08 pm

Paulv, thanks for your documentation, and to all the others who have chipped in over the last 2 and a bit years.

It seems like Swiftek has the setup that I am aspiring to – torrent, mediaserver and webserver running off external HDDs.

I’m a babe in the woods (well, the raspberry bushes) when it comes to Linux, but my initial foray into the RPi world had me running an external HDD doing torrenting and webserving and media – but my SD got thrashed to bits in about 3 months. So obviously, although I had DATA writing to the usb hdd, other stuff was happening behind the scenes I knew nothing about which was trashing the SD card.

I hunted around for answers and conceptually I can see that running off an external USB device has advantages. But… running WHAT off the ext usb?

There are a number of broad issues that are not clear to me. So, any help initially with the following broad concepts would be good.

Let’s say we want to run our RPi 24x7. The programs we run are going to write and thrash on our little SD cards, so the general wisdom seems to be that we put the thrashing bits onto an external USB device (an HDD, in my case).

Now, it is unclear to me what EXACTLY has to go on the external HDD and what can stay on the SD

These seem to be the culprits that cause the thrashing:
• Swappy type things (swapfile, swap partition, stuff controlled by dphys-swapfile swap commands and whatever)
• The actual read/writes of the data for the program running

However, to muddy the waters, some people have come up with the idea that you can put lots of the thrashing bits into RAM memory, and have it happily whack away there, and write back to some hard media (SD card or usb device) at certain points (using some timing program, or at shutdown or reboot)

So… I seem to have four options going forward
a) run everything off the SD card - and use some secret magic to do a lot of thrashing in RAM memory - but maybe not ideal because of storage space for data and heavy writes for data
b) run the bootstrap only off the SD card, and have everything else following – the os, the programs and that data and swapfiles etc - all running off external USB drives – sounds the best but means the external hard disk runs 24x7, getting hammered by the swap (maybe not a problem?)
c) run the static bits of the os and the programs off the SD card, but anything that gets written to will be on some external USB drive (data, swaps, etc)
d) run the static bits of the os and the programs off the SD card, shove other stuff that thrashes into RAM with the secret magic, and then write the final data etc to an external USB drive

Before I launch into any further discussions based on my ignorance, my immediate 3 questions are therefore

Q1: Have I got the process right conceptually? Are the above four really my options? Or have I missed or misunderstood something?

Q2: Which of the above four options is the best method for the setup I am aspiring to (see second line of this post)

Q3: How do I achieve it? (perhaps for another post !)

Any advice most welcome.

Swiftek

Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:33 pm

ozpete999 wrote:...
It seems like Swiftek has the setup that I am aspiring to – torrent, mediaserver and webserver running off external HDDs.
To be clear, I'm not using any secret magiks - in fact, I don't even know how to do the options other than A B. Also, I don't call mine a "mediaserver" because it's just files, so I call it a file server - I just happen to have mostly media files on it. A media server is an actual thing that is very different than just simple file sharing. EDIT: It's option B that I'm using.

By my understanding, one only needs the SD card in place to boot the Pi. I've heard of folks actually removing the SD card once the boot sequence is done, and running either without one or using it for other stuff besides the Pi's file system. I've not done it myself, so I cannot confirm. Maybe your SD card just failed "naturally" on its own?

I don't worry about my HDDs running all the time - that's sorta what HDDs are designed for. I run the Pi file system on one, and the other holds all my files for sharing and the webserver's www root. Both of my external drive bays power down if there's no activity, and the only bad part is waiting for them to spin back up when I first access something on a sleeping drive. Since my traffic is purely private and doesn't amount to much, it's just not a problem.

I'm sorry, but I don't have good notes on setting up for external file system. If I remember correctly, I simply copied (rsync ?) the file system from a standard SD card install of Raspbian over to my HDD, and then told cmdline and fstab where to find it - via the UUID. I do remember that this tutorial got me there.

Here are my notes on general Pi setup to do the other things I do with mine.
http://www.kerbaltek.com/users/Ezriilc/ ... -Setup.txt

ozpete999

Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:46 am

Thank you, Swiftek.

I think I am on mostly the same page as you. I got my Wheezy working off the ext HDD. My concerns then became
a) would the hard disk be taking a hammering and a timing hit if the swap stuff is written and read from the hdd - still need some help with that one from someone
b) when I upgrade and backup the OS, is it just that partition on the HDD that is upgraded and thus only that needs to be backed up?
c) If the hard disks do at all wind down, can they spin up if some activity - keyboard, mouse, internet - triggers it? By the sound of your reply, it seems they do spin up, albeit taking a little time

You're also right about my poor terminology re media server. For me, too, I really only want a file server, with the ability to access files from my own online server when away from home - basically a "my own cloud" concept. But that's for another thread :P

gkreidl

Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:01 am

ozpete999 wrote:Thank you, Swiftek.

I think I am on mostly the same page as you. I got my Wheezy working off the ext HDD. My concerns then became
a) would the hard disk be taking a hammering and a timing hit if the swap stuff is written and read from the hdd - still need some help with that one from someone
b) when I upgrade and backup the OS, is it just that partition on the HDD that is upgraded and thus only that needs to be backed up?
c) If the hard disks do at all wind down, can they spin up if some activity - keyboard, mouse, internet - triggers it? By the sound of your reply, it seems they do spin up, albeit taking a little time

You're also right about my poor terminology re media server. For me, too, I really only want a file server, with the ability to access files from my own online server when away from home - basically a "my own cloud" concept. But that's for another thread :P
a) no, in fact swap works better from the HDD than from SD card.
b) sometimes the firmware and kernel are upgraded. Those are written to the boot partition of the SD card. I always create a backup of the boot partition if this happens.
c) one of my HDDs does spin down if there has been no activity for a while. You'll notice a certain delay if you use it again (start a program, for example).
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

julespiman

Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:01 pm

Swiftek wrote:First, I'd try it again, exactly the same way, from the beginning, just to be sure - personally I do things at least 3 times before changing the plan.

Secondly, consider that not all hardware works with the Pi. Try switching out each component one at a time. You may find - like I did - that your external drive or other media just can't play well with the Pi. Trial and error is the only way to be sure.

Beyond that, I'd need much more detail about your exact procedure.

Good luck!
Thanks, tried again and it works well this time. Using a webcam, pictures every 10 mins saved to USB key, these are deleted every hour leaving the most recent 20.

sealy_au

Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:46 pm

Great Guide mate,
I ran into a problem with the unique GUID changing on me all the time, I didn’t realise that's why you used gdisk to format the drive in the extended version of the guide, after a few boot failures and some googling I worked this out.
It might pay to mention in the standard part of the guide that if you intend to later do the extended format with gdisk here and not fdisk.

All In All great Guide, Thanks

Broxi

Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:11 pm

Great tutorial ! I had success moving the root to an USB stick on first try !

BUT ....

I was trying to delete the old root Partition on mmcblk0 after moving it to an USB stick (tried both fdisk and gdisk to delete mmcblk0p2). This ended in a non-booting RPi. No matter if I used the PARTUUID or simply /dev/sda1 in cmdline.txt.
I've started a grep on the boot-device and found that there are references to mmcblk0p2 in the .ELF files. After simply replacing "mmcblk0p2" to "dev2 ", I was able to delete the 2nd Partition on the sd-card leaving the RPi bootable !

Broxi

Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:18 pm

additionally, how to replace the Content in ELF:

Code: Select all

sudo perl -pi -e 's/mmcblk0p2/sda1     /' /boot/start_x.elf
take care on the spaces !

livegnik

Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:31 am

Great work, Paul! Thank you for this beautiful manual.

I have a Raspberry Pi 2 B+, and have been able to successfully power a 2.5" USB HDD, thanks to this guide:
http://www.htpcguides.com/power-2-5-har ... erry-pi-b/

Now I'm wondering: is it possible to first power the USB drive during boot, to then boot the OS from that USB drive?

Since the aforementioned manual solves the issue of powering the USB drive through Linux, I figured it might be hard to do what I would like to do. Any feedback, to either serve as a shortcut, or to prevent me from going on an endless quest, will be more than welcome.

gkreidl

Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:08 pm

livegnik wrote:Great work, Paul! Thank you for this beautiful manual.

I have a Raspberry Pi 2 B+, and have been able to successfully power a 2.5" USB HDD, thanks to this guide:
http://www.htpcguides.com/power-2-5-har ... erry-pi-b/

Now I'm wondering: is it possible to first power the USB drive during boot, to then boot the OS from that USB drive?

Since the aforementioned manual solves the issue of powering the USB drive through Linux, I figured it might be hard to do what I would like to do. Any feedback, to either serve as a shortcut, or to prevent me from going on an endless quest, will be more than welcome.
Yes, you should add something like
rootdelay=5
to cmdline.txt. The HDD may need some time to spin up.
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download

livegnik

Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:03 pm

gkreidl wrote:Yes, you should add something like
rootdelay=5
Thank you for the suggestion gkreidl, although I believe that it is a solution do a different issue.

As far as I know, what you've proposed works well when you have difficulties spinning up the HDD while booting the OS from the SD card. In my case, I want to first power the HDD via the USB port, to then boot from that HDD. I assume I'll have to initiate the boot sequence from the SD card, find a nifty way to send more power through that USB port (before running the OS), to then boot from the powered up HDD ... At least, that's my best uneducated guess. All thoughts are still welcome.

@op/mod: If my question is/becomes too off-topic, feel free to let me know and I'll create a new post for my issue.

gkreidl

Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:39 pm

livegnik wrote: Thank you for the suggestion gkreidl, although I believe that it is a solution do a different issue.

As far as I know, what you've proposed works well when you have difficulties spinning up the HDD while booting the OS from the SD card. In my case, I want to first power the HDD via the USB port, to then boot from that HDD. I assume I'll have to initiate the boot sequence from the SD card, find a nifty way to send more power through that USB port (before running the OS), to then boot from the powered up HDD ... At least, that's my best uneducated guess. All thoughts are still welcome.

@op/mod: If my question is/becomes too off-topic, feel free to let me know and I'll create a new post for my issue.
No, that's exactly what this thread is about: booting the OS from an USB device. You will always need the fat boot partition. By setting "max_usb_current=1" you get enough USB power to drive a HDD. The root delay is needed to allow the HDD to spin up before the OS is loaded.

fruitoftheloom

Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:03 pm

livegnik wrote:
gkreidl wrote:Yes, you should add something like
rootdelay=5
Thank you for the suggestion gkreidl, although I believe that it is a solution do a different issue.

Technically speaking the Linux Kernel is the Operating System and the Linux Kernel is in the FAT Partition, the System Files are on the Hard Drive and as above stated you need to ensure the hard drive is accessable, hence the delay etcetera....

http://wiki.beyondlogic.org/index.php?t ... ot_Process
My only "PC" is an Asus ChromeBit running ChromeOS, cloudcentric at its best !
Rockchip Quad-Core RK3288C SoC as used in ASUS Chromebook C201 & Chromebook Flip C100PA as well as the Tinker SBC

Kurt64

Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:04 pm

Thank you for this tutorial. Your description of simple and easy is right on the money. I had success moving the root to a USB stick on the first try.
The only issue I found was in the /boot/cmdline.txt edit, because I used Raspbian Jessie Lite. The contents of the original file would be

dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=ttyAMA0,115200 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline fsck.repair=yes rootwait

Changing root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 to root=/dev/sda1 and rootwait to rootdelay=5 was all that was needed.

Kratos

Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:01 am

EXTREMELY awesome guide! Thank you for making it so clear! I am going to give this a shot.

Kratos
I have posted mostly with a Pi 2 running either Ubuntu MATE, or Raspbian.

skilbjo

Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:19 am

Hi; after doing this, how can I backup / image the necessary sectors of the the /boot partition ; for when the SD card eventually fails?

Not trying to backup the entire SD card; just the boot partitions. For example, for Linux you are recommended at least 4GB SD card. But can I use a 512mb SD card by just moving the file system to a more permanent memory (HDD/SSD) and just have a few 512mb SD cards with just the boot files for when things go wrong on the SD card?

bodge99

Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:45 pm

Hello all..

My first post..

I run multiple generation Pi's from one SSD drive.. although obviously not at the same time!!

This allows me to use just about any small capacity/speed SD card in any Pi as the card only has to contain the boot partition.

The SSD is currently partitioned into 5 and I've got 5 totally independent installations to work with. The relevant cmdline.txt (on the SD card for each Pi) is modified so that the root=PARTUUID=xxxx... points to the required partition on the SSD.

Yes, OK, using a SSD is total overkill for this.. but I had a 128GB m.2 drive spare after a tablet drive upgrade. I popped it into a USB caddy and went from there. I don't need any external power as the Pi's USB supply is enough.

Would it be of any interest to anyone if I posted the method that I use for preparing both the SD cards and external drive from the installation images??

BTW, the boot partition is fat16/32, the files here can be backed up with just about anything.. (even zip from windows). The only requirement is that the partition is marked bootable.

Bodge99.

paulv

Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:27 pm

Hi Bodge99,

Welcome to the club. Interesting concept to share a drive.
I suggest you start a new post for this topic, so we keep this one clean and to the point and your post can be found easier. You can ask one of the moderaters to even move your first post and make it a new one.

Success!

Return to “Advanced users”