daneast

Netflix via HTML5 only

Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:06 am

Looks like Google's Chromebook just added support for Netflix, and it is not through Silverlight, but purely through HTML5 (with DRM):
http://www.muktware.com/5370/html5-brin ... chromebook

This was done as an update to Chromebook, so obviously the hardware already supported whatever decoding they are now using. This might be The Path to Netflix on the Pi.

jsebean

Re: Netflix via HTML5 only

Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:20 am

The problem would be the DRM part, I doubt they want to make the code to decode the DRM video open source.

Spid

Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:39 am

"HTML5 Content Decryption Module (CDM) with WebM support"

https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/html-media/raw-f ... media.html
I will always assume you are running Raspbian for desktop and Raspbmc for XMBC !

ghans

Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:46 pm

If you look closely , you'll see that the content decryption
module is not specified and might have complete control
of the screen (or at least of a part of it) .

Sounds familiar ?
Yeah , they're just like plugins , which will be implemented
in native code. (NaCl anyone ?)

It is no improvement at all over Flash/Siverlight IMHO.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

mikerr

Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:39 pm

jsebean wrote:The problem would be the DRM part, I doubt they want to make the code to decode the DRM video open source.
Many on here may be obsessed with making everything open source, but a binary would be fine.

With over 1 Million Pi's now out there, netflix could take notice of the Pi
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

jsebean

Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:27 pm

mikerr wrote:
jsebean wrote:The problem would be the DRM part, I doubt they want to make the code to decode the DRM video open source.
Many on here may be obsessed with making everything open source, but a binary would be fine.

With over 1 Million Pi's now out there, netflix could take notice of the Pi
I'm not saying it's not possible, but it probably isn't anything we'll see anytime soon. I mean, Netflix shows no interest to support "regular" (lack of a better term) linux distros like Ubuntu and Fedora, the odds of them supporting the rasPi is probably very slim. The number of users for those distros compared to the rasPi users are a lot greater.

That doesn't it wont happen, I just doubt it will be any time soon (if ever?). I would love to be proved wrong, Netflix if you see this I'd love to see support :P

Spid

Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:16 pm

The biggest issue is the DRM Feature Google use with NetFlex has not been ratified as a standard, therefore it would seem likely Google have given some monetary assurance..
I will always assume you are running Raspbian for desktop and Raspbmc for XMBC !

daneast

Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:43 pm

This is still a better potential solution than Silverlight in every way. Having one small binary blob that is lean and mean and is just a decoder is far better than having to run in an entire virtual machine and set of libraries (controlled by Microsoft no less). This route would be more memory and storage efficient, and should use less CPU cycles too as native code would be more efficient than running inside Silverlight.

OtherCrashOverride

Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:09 pm

Roku 2 (a streaming media box) uses the same chip as the Raspberry Pi and supports Netflix and Hulu. So its a question of licensing rather than capability.

ghans

Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:00 pm

^ This.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Return to “Advanced users”