caizixian

How to home automation?

Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:30 am

I'd like to buy Raspberry Pi online. I live in China. And I want to use Raspberry Pi for home automation.
I'd like o know what should I buy and setup.
The first I want to do is to turn on/off light via web.
I well know how to setup a Web Server. And I'm familiar with C++. What should I do??
And I want to know how to use GPIO.

caizixian

Re: How to home automation?

Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:52 am

Anyone's idea?

ghans

Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:11 pm

Start with a little LED first.
Mains electricity is dangerous !
There are hundreds of tutorials everywhere (including the Wiki).
wiringPi does work with C.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

ciudadverde

Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:46 pm

It's a good idea to test with leds, next to go to power is easy find solid state relay .with this item change for led and voila you switch any motor o lights of more than 1000w. i suggest to test with a app for pi called webopi ?

albatros

Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:39 am

Hi,

I don't know nothing about mains and the hardware available in your country. But I think FHEM http://fhem.de/fhem.html could be a solution for you or minimum a good starting point.

I started some weeks ago and I like it very much.

Regards

albatros

drgeoff

Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:55 pm

ciudadverde wrote:It's a good idea to test with leds, next to go to power is easy find solid state relay .with this item change for led and voila you switch any motor o lights of more than 1000w. i suggest to test with a app for pi called webopi ?
There is a lot more to electrical safety than just choosing the correct components. You have to know about current carrying capability of cable, insulation, earthing methods, creep distances, fusing etc etc. Definitely not recommended for beginners. There is a good chance that they never get to progress beyond beginner. :(
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

albatros

Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:24 pm

Safety first!!! That 's why I recommended FHEM in combination with ready-to-use-components like (in germany) FS20, Homematic, etc.

Regards

albatros

caizixian

Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:28 am

ghans wrote:Start with a little LED first.
Mains electricity is dangerous !
There are hundreds of tutorials everywhere (including the Wiki).
wiringPi does work with C.

ghans
But how can I control leds or house lights via Raspi? Using GPIO or anything else.
I can buy some wireless model via net (sender and receiver),and I can also buy a wireless switch.

ghans

Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:26 am

• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

dudeman

Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:02 pm

The "Firecracker" transmitter is controlled by a serial line (RPi has one):

X10 Firecracker (CMA17A)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X10_Firecracker

Of course there is linux software :P

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install bottlerocket
What is the X10 FireCracker kit?
The X10 Firecracker kit is a simple wireless X10 home automation system, consisting of a lamp module, an appliance module/radio receiver, a hand held wireless transmitter and a wireless transmitter that plugs into a standard RS-232 serial port. Using either the handheld transmitter or the serial port transmitter, a user can turn on or off any of up to 256 appliances, and brighten/dim any of those that happen to be lamps and plugged into the special lamp modules.

http://www.linuxha.com/bottlerocket/

omoser

Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:47 am

I'm using a tellstick (http://www.telldus.se/products/tellstick) to control all of my intertechno (http://www.intertechno.at/) devices (around 10 of them in my home). Very easy to setup, there is a GUI as well as a commandline tool that lets to switch devices on/off as well as dim (if applicable). Not a full blown home automation solution but it's setup in no time.

elmechanico

Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:26 pm

Even though this thread is a little bit old already: busware.de makes great wireless components that also work with the raspberry. The CUL speaks many wireless protocols used for home automation and works nicely with fhem.

Return to “Advanced users”