zalewskig

Question about Enlightenment

Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:54 pm

I'm going to install the Enlightenment (E17) desktop environment. I have a question about source. Do packages.enlightenment org packages will work with the Raspberry Pi, is it necessary to use the packages prepared by Bodhi. The second thing which interests me is that the GPU can handle with ecomorph.

sdjf

Re: Question about Enlightenment

Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:15 am

It is usually easier to use packages that are available in the repository for your distribution, but being linux, it generally is possible, although not necessarily easy, to tweak packages used for other distributions or recompile from upstream sources for your particular installation.

If you are running Bodhi, you might ask in a Bodhi forum if nobody else comes along here who knows your distribution.
FORUM TIP: To view someone's posting history, sign in, click on their user name, then on "Search User's Posts." || Running ArchLinuxArm on Model 2B and 512MB Model B

zalewskig

Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:29 am

:) E17 already installed the matter is this: the packages.enlightenment.org did not go to pre-install packages. They did not have prepared packages for the arm. Bodhi packages installed and it works some question in this case I have a problem with other display mode (installing on a clean system) and now I do not know where I can set questions about graphics ("X -configure" did not work), and E13 states that the depth of color is not exactly as it should, and no I can not change in any way the resolution)

JollyRoger

Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:37 pm

There is no problem running Bodhi Linux (Enlightenment desktop) on the Pi. I assume you have downloaded the Bodhi Linux image for the Pi from http://bodhilinux.com/downloads_mobile.php, and that you have updated it with sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade.

The Bodhi repository for ARM devices (including the Raspberry Pi) is included in your sources.list and will appear along with Debian/Raspbian repository when you run Synaptic. Alternatively you can directly download Bodhi-recommended packages for ARM devices from http://appcenter.bodhilinux.com/software/arch/armel (note that you will have to use the Midori web browser to do a direct download from appcenter).

Note that Bodhi Linux for the Pi runs on Raspbian (Debian Wheezy) NOT Ubuntu, and all packages for standard Raspbian will work on it (indeed, some of them run better under Bodhi than under LXDE).

You can also if you wish update to the latest kernel (Linux 3.6.11) and firmware using rpi-update.

One thing to avoid though: don't attempt to expand the file system to fill the SD card using the option in raspi-config - it will probably corrupt your Bodhi image. Use Gparted instead.

If you have further questions about running Enlightenment on the Pi, you can post them on the Raspberry Pi section of the Bodhi Linux forum here: http://forums.bodhilinux.com/index.php? ... pberry-pi/

Cloudcentric

Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:52 pm

zalewskig wrote:I'm going to install the Enlightenment (E17) desktop environment. I have a question about source. Do packages.enlightenment org packages will work with the Raspberry Pi, is it necessary to use the packages prepared by Bodhi. The second thing which interests me is that the GPU can handle with ecomorph.
Enlightenment is a Desktop Environment on top of a Linux Distribution (Operating System).

You ask if packages can work with the Raspberry Pi and the answer is no as the Pi is a computer !

Bodhi is the best choice for 'out-of-the-box' as stated above..

Arch Linux Arm (alarmpi) has the packages in their ARMv6 repository for Enlightenment Desktop, though Arch is a Command Line Distro by default. If you are concerned about resource usage then Arch is good

Arch does not have the range of packages which are available to Debian based Distro's and is more of a learning curve.
I know everything about nothing"

jheaton5

Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:18 pm

Code: Select all

jheaton5@raspberrypi ~ $ aptitude search e17
p   e17                             - Enlightenment DR17 Window Manager         
p   e17-data                        - Enlightenment Window Manager Run Time Data
p   e17-dbg                         - Enlightenment DR17 Window Manager - debugg
p   e17-dev                         - Enlightenment headers, static libraries an
v   libghc-bytestring-dev-0.9.2.1-e -                                           
v   libghc-bytestring-prof-0.9.2.1- -  
E17 is in the Raspbian repository.

zalewskig

Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:27 pm

I know that the Raspberry pi is not the computer, debian and I know him for more than a decade faithful. Uninstall unnecessary packet was not a challenge. But at the moment, are located to the config.txt unknown command (which I used), which, moreover, do not work as they should (color bias, because as yellow can be blue). So please answer that can solve the problem, and will not verify my understanding of the system operated.

jheaton5

Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:46 pm

zalewskig wrote:I'm going to install the Enlightenment (E17) desktop environment. I have a question about source. Do packages.enlightenment org packages will work with the Raspberry Pi, is it necessary to use the packages prepared by Bodhi. The second thing which interests me is that the GPU can handle with ecomorph.
jheaton5 wrote:

Code: Select all

jheaton5@raspberrypi ~ $ aptitude search e17
p   e17                             - Enlightenment DR17 Window Manager         
p   e17-data                        - Enlightenment Window Manager Run Time Data
p   e17-dbg                         - Enlightenment DR17 Window Manager - debugg
p   e17-dev                         - Enlightenment headers, static libraries an
My post merely pointed out that E-17 was already in the Raspbian repository so why did you need to seek a source outside? If I misunderstood your initial question, I apologize.

Return to “Advanced users”