jceajcea

Examples/advice of running linux "live" from initramfs

Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:02 pm

Hi there!

I wonder if there is any project out there that runs linux from an initramfs?. Of course, minimum Linux, since it is running from RAM, let's say < 500MB uncompressed.

I need to run my idea from initramfs and I wonder if I can learn/steal from somebody else already doing something similar.

Advice welcomed too.

Some details: The idea is to run the Raspberry from PXE (network booting) without using the usual NFS root filesystem. I want it to run from RAM using a ramdisk.

Since PXE boot is slow because TFTP is slow (and raspberry PXE booting is fragile and too much sensitive to packet loss), I would love to provide a small "initramfs" that just do DHCP and a HTTP/socket fetch to further populate the ramdisk. This would be next step. First step would be to run from (a big) initramfs.

Thanks.

thagrol

Re: Examples/advice of running linux "live" from initramfs

Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:21 pm

Buildroot? (ask google et al for more info)
Arguing with strangers on the internet since 1993.

DougieLawson

Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:52 pm

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

jceajcea

Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:41 pm

Cool. Thanks for the suggestions.

I am evaluating too "raspbian-ua-netinst". The point is that PXE booting is SLOW and fragile, so it would be faster to do a minimal booting via PXE and then download a real OS in a RAMDISK from a webserver, instead of trying to deliver a 300MB payload thru the venerable but "slow as snail" TFTP.

I am currently pursuing both approaches. Good progress so far.

Links and suggestions very welcomed.

Thanks.

PS: I will publish tutorials and software in the future, your time and effort will not be wasted in a blackhole (me).

jceajcea

Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:41 am

Maybe this issue would be of interest to you: https://github.com/debian-pi/raspbian-u ... issues/524 . TL;DR: gauging interest in PXE support for "raspbian-ua-netinst".

JovianPyx

Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:28 pm

+1 for tinycore - specifically piCore.

I've been using piCore for a pi zero-w with a camera that stays on 24x7. It supports lighttpd (light weight web server) so I can see the camera (pointed at the front porch) image over wifi. piCore also supports wiringPi. My application uses about 250 megabytes so about half the pi zero RAM is free.

The tinycore documentation is quite good.

cybersmythe

Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:33 pm

At work we use Yocto https://www.yoctoproject.org/ but I'd not be all that anxious to set that up from scratch if I didn't have to.

I keep thinking that it should be possible to take something like Debian's debootstrap to build a ramdisk image, but it keeps not working.

Mostly, I'm commenting because I'm interested in a solution that works for generating functional initrd images because everything I want to do with a pi requires one, so this is kind of a +1.

dickon

Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:39 pm

mkinitramfs and friends just work -- I use them on my Pis. Minor issue with kernel updates not triggering a rebuild, but I've worked around that.

Return to “Advanced users”