rohlik

Stream sound on RPi with no capture devices - possibilities?

Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:05 pm

Hello dear friends,
I have RPi 3B and I would like to stream audio to Icecast2 server via Darkice software.
One of the problem is that RPi does not have any capture devices and I do not want buy external USB sound card. Is there any workaround?
I tried ALSA Loopback device, but I did not figure out how to transfer/send all audio output to that capture loopback device. :cry:

PS: I know how to use Darkice to connect Icecast2 server. I need a hand with sound configuration/workaround.

Can you put me to the right directions?
Thank you.
Last edited by rohlik on Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

renice123

Re: Stream sound on RPi with no capture devices - possibilities?

Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:04 pm

As far as I understand, you will need to specify the address of the icecast2 server in the Darkice settings (darkice.cfg). As an example:

Code: Select all

[icecast2-0]
bitrateMode = cbr # encoding type, vbr / abr / cbr are allowed
format = mp3 # stream format: mp3 / ogg
bitrate = 128 # stream bitrate
server = 192.168.0.253 # hostname on which Icecast2 is set up (let's assume an IP address)
port = 8000 # port on which IceCast2 server listens, usually 8000
password = 123456 # password for source account on IceCast2 server
mountPoint = MyRadio # mountpoint on IceCast2 server
name = MyRadio # stream name
description = MyRadio # stream description
However, I don't understand what you will be transmitting through Darkice since there is no line in on the RPI
https://chipsandbitsworkshop.wordpress. ... d-darkice/

karrika

Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:51 pm

You might be able to use a bluetooth headset with microphone as a source for your audio.

renice123

Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:26 pm

For the ARM architecture, there is a problem - pulseaudio does not work fully in Raspbian, and through this program in Linux, communication with bluetouch microphones is organized. Therefore, sound through bluetouch is a headache. It is easy to output audio, but difficult to connect a microphone. Or you will have to use an additional external bluetuoch card

rohlik

Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:33 pm

I move step forward. I have working setup on my RPi3 B+ with Raspbian where is sound from Chromium browser send directly to ALSA Loopback device (enabled by modprobe snd-aloop as kernel module) by this Chromium's parameter:

Code: Select all

--alsa-output-device='plug:front'
This sound is successfully recorded/captured from Loopback capture device hw:0,1 by Darkice.

But I also need this sound be played by external speakers which are connected to line-out (jack).
How Can be this done? Can you help me? How I can clone sound output by ALSA?

Return to “Advanced users”