americanpie

Microsd slot replacement

Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:35 pm

A RPI3 with broken off microsd slot cover ended up on my desk. It would be sad just to bin it so I am thinking about soldering a replacement microsd card reader. Before doing that I tried to just hold a microsd card towards the remaining 9 contacts and powered it on but all I get is just three short and one longer blinks on the green LED. The same card works with RPi1 fine. Does that mean resoldering a new microsd slot will not help?

americanpie

Re: Microsd slot replacement

Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:10 pm

Anyone?

alphanumeric

Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:50 pm

You could see if it will Boot from USB. Card slot wouldn't be needed if it works.

drgeoff

Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:02 am

alphanumeric wrote:
You could see if it will Boot from USB. Card slot wouldn't be needed if it works.
How?

A 3B needs to have an OTP bit set to enable boot from USB. That can only be done once it has booted. From a card in the card slot.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

rpdom

Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:06 am

drgeoff wrote:
alphanumeric wrote:
How?

A 3B needs to have an OTP bit set to enable boot from USB. That can only be done once it has booted. From a card in the card slot.
It may have already been set by a previous user?
Unreadable squiggle

procount

Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:27 am

Is it just the cover that flipped off?
That happened to one of mine, but I managed to solder it back on again. It is just tacked on with 4 blobs of solder: 2 on either side of the slot and 2 on the opposite edge near the contacts. You may still see their remains through a magnifying glass.
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

americanpie

Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:25 am

procount wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:27 am
Is it just the cover that flipped off?
That happened to one of mine, but I managed to solder it back on again. It is just tacked on with 4 blobs of solder: 2 on either side of the slot and 2 on the opposite edge near the contacts. You may still see their remains through a magnifying glass.
Yes, but the cover is lost.

americanpie

Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:27 am

rpdom wrote:
drgeoff wrote:
alphanumeric wrote:
How?

I doubt that. Unless that user was able to predict the future.

DougieLawson

Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:01 am

You only need an SDCard to connect for 10seconds to set the USB bit. It doesn't need to complete the boot up.

Is it possible to do that with a piece of tape? Are the contacts still intact on the board?
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

dickon

Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:08 am

americanpie wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:27 am
rpdom wrote:
drgeoff wrote:

How?

I doubt that. Unless that user was able to predict the future.
The USB boot mode also set the network boot mode, which may be much more likely, depending on the environment the thing was previously deployed in. All my 3s have the USB boot bit set for this reason, despite never having booted from USB (and I doubt they ever will).

Bung it on a network, turn it on, and see if you see a DHCP request.

davidcoton

Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:45 am

americanpie wrote:
A RPI3 with broken off microsd slot cover ended up on my desk. It would be sad just to bin it so I am thinking about soldering a replacement microsd card reader. Before doing that I tried to just hold a microsd card towards the remaining 9 contacts and powered it on but all I get is just three short and one longer blinks on the green LED. The same card works with RPi1 fine. Does that mean resoldering a new microsd slot will not help?
First off, what OS is on the SDCard from the RPi1? Is it up to date?
Rather than faffing around working out whether it ought to boot, get a new SDCard, use the Imager software to download Raspbian Buster (your preferred flavour), and try that. If it works, you can proceed either to replace/repair the SDCard slot, or set up USB boot and run an OS from USB.
Location: 345th cell on the right of the 210th row of L2 cache

americanpie

Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:20 pm

davidcoton wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:45 am
First off, what OS is on the SDCard from the RPi1? Is it up to date?
Rather than faffing around working out whether it ought to boot, get a new SDCard, use the Imager software to download Raspbian Buster (your preferred flavour), and try that. If it works, you can proceed either to replace/repair the SDCard slot, or set up USB boot and run an OS from USB.
OK, I downloaded https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspb ... r-lite.zip, put it on a different SD card, the result on the faulty PRI3 is the same - four green blinks. The same card with the same image successfully boots on RPI1.

1. Could it be that the cardreader has a card presence sensor/contact and it is not being in the right position?
2. Is there a way to boot from USB without booting from SD even once?

trejan

Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:12 pm

americanpie wrote:
1. Could it be that the cardreader has a card presence sensor/contact and it is not being in the right position?
No. There is a presence detect switch but it isn't connected to anything.
americanpie wrote:
2. Is there a way to boot from USB without booting from SD even once?
Not for an original Pi 3. It may be enabled if you have a revised Pi 3 with the SoC from a Pi 3+ though. You can easily tell as the revised SoC has a metal heatspreader on it.

americanpie

Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:01 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
You only need an SDCard to connect for 10seconds to set the USB bit. It doesn't need to complete the boot up.

Is it possible to do that with a piece of tape? Are the contacts still intact on the board?
The contacts are still intact. However holding the SD card against them (correctly - to the best of my abilities, with tape or just fingers) only gives four green blinks and sometimes rainbow screen.

americanpie

Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:06 pm

trejan wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:12 pm
It may be enabled if you have a revised Pi 3 with the SoC from a Pi 3+ though.
It does not seem to boot from USB by default (tried with the same image). But I can see the heatspreader so what do I do to enable the USB boot without booting from the SD even once?

trejan

Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:29 pm

I'm not certain if the 3B with a 3B+ SoC has the USB boot enabled by default. The 3B+ does have it on by default but the 3B with a 3B+ SoC is unusual. If you can't get the latest Raspbian image on a USB drive to boot then it is probably not enabled by default.

No idea why your SD card isn't working. Bad contact is my guess but you may have damaged something as well.

The micro SD socket is a https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/ ... ovvyiw8%3D

DougieLawson

Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:30 pm

americanpie wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:01 pm
DougieLawson wrote:

The contacts are still intact. However holding the SD card against them (correctly - to the best of my abilities, with tape or just fingers) only gives four green blinks and sometimes rainbow screen.
If you get the rainbow screen you've probably got far enough to have

Code: Select all

program_usb_boot_mode=1
in /boot/config.txt take effect.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

emma1997

Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:48 pm

trejan wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:29 pm

The micro SD socket is a https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/ ... ovvyiw8%3D
Hmmmmm... nor sure what Mouser are selling but at first I thought cholesterol housing sounds like maybe sticky fingers in your future. Then realized I had LCD on the brain. lol
Housing Material: Liquid Crystal Polymer (LCP)
I've repaired three (one mine) broken Pi3 holders. First two rubber bands to hold the card in. Other one, where top came off, soldered a full SD to micro adapter using thin wires to the tiny pads. LOTS of epoxy to hold it in place. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

I hate those push-pull sockets. Pi makers obviously came to same conclusion.

americanpie

Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:01 pm

dickon wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:08 am
Bung it on a network, turn it on, and see if you see a DHCP request.
I connected it to the router and switched it on. Interestingly enough, both green and yellow LAN LEDs are dark. No sings of the DHCP request on the router. Is this normal? I would expect at least the green LED to be on.

dickon

Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:19 pm

The 3Bs seem to be *very* choosy about what they'll negotiate with. I've had no luck with mine on a GbE connection -- switch or desktop -- but it was happy talking to a 100Mb/s switch. Even bolting down the autonegotiation to offer 100Mb/s only didn't help.

If you have other interfaces, you could do worse than to try them. It's a bit of a long shot, admittedly.

LTolledo

Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:07 pm

there was an "old trick" of replacing a SD slot (I think there is also a microSD slot version) with a microSD to SD card adaptor
but this requires some fine soldering techniques....
and the soldered card adaptor need to be taped/glued to the board....
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

emma1997

Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:28 am

emma1997 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:48 pm
where top came off, soldered a full SD to micro adapter using thin wires to the tiny pads. LOTS of epoxy to hold it in place.
Also used the same 'old trick' to add gigabytes of memory to Arduino chips. Only four signal wires needed and no other components. With hundreds of otherwise useless adapters, several put to good use instead of tossed.

Also used actual microSD sockets glued to top of chip. Same width as the AVRs making for a very neat package. A few even more compact by soldering directly with no socket but obviously not easy to change the SD should it fail.

ejolson

Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:25 am

americanpie wrote:
Rather than shorting the Pi out by trying to hold the card in position, a zero-cost solution is to solder the contacts on one of those micro SD to standard SD card adapters to the correct places on the Pi 3B and see if it works. The advantage is those adapters come free with the card, complete functionality is restored if it does work and no damage is done to a good card if it doesn't. Make sure not to connect things in a mirror image.

emma1997

Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:49 am

I just had an idea! Has anybody considered using one of those micro SD to standard SD adapters that they send free of charge with just about every card and solder wires to pads on the damaged Pi. Just a thought. lol

ejolson

Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:25 am

emma1997 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:49 am
I just had an idea! Has anybody considered using one of those micro SD to standard SD adapters that they send free of charge with just about every card and solder wires to pads on the damaged Pi. Just a thought. lol
I guess that's what you've been talking about for a few posts. Was any trick needed to get the solder to stick to the contacts on the adapter?

Return to “Advanced users”