isaac82

Timeline on raspbian kernel updates?

Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:53 am

What's the usual timeline on raspbian kernel releases? I'm interested in trying out wireguard when it's released in kernel 5.6 in the next month or so. How long after 5.6 gets a stable linux release before it is available in raspbian?

Also, how do you map from raspbian kernel versions (https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/releases) to linux kernel versions?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Timeline on raspbian kernel updates?

Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:38 pm

The guy who knows about these things is not yet in the office - will flag up to him once he is.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

6by9

Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:29 pm

5.6 is not a LTS release, therefore won't ever become a Raspbian kernel. It exists in our Linux Github tree already as rpi-5.6.y, but won't have that much testing. You can always build your own kernel from there following the provided instructions.

5.4 is an LTS kernel, and is in the process of being tested and fixed up for general consumption.
Recent conversations were looking at making an rpi-update BRANCH=next release with 5.4 kernel in the next few weeks.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

sora03

Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:06 am

6by9 wrote:
5.6 is not a LTS release, therefore won't ever become a Raspbian kernel. It exists in our Linux Github tree already as rpi-5.6.y, but won't have that much testing. You can always build your own kernel from there following the provided instructions.

5.4 is an LTS kernel, and is in the process of being tested and fixed up for general consumption.
Recent conversations were looking at making an rpi-update BRANCH=next release with 5.4 kernel in the next few weeks.
Hi, when can we expect the production release of the 5.4 LTS kernel?
Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ssora

jamesh

Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:14 am

sora03 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:06 am
6by9 wrote:

Hi, when can we expect the production release of the 5.4 LTS kernel?
We don't have dates, we release when ready, not to a schedule. At the moment with the virus issues, things are very fluid.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

6by9

Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:22 am

Normal steps are that "BRANCH=next rpi-update" will get bumped first for those who are really keen to test things out.
Once that is appearing stable, it'll get promoted to the standard rpi-update.
Given a month or two of testing there, it'll be promoted to apt.

The slight fly in the ointment is that we've just changed how the firmware is built on BRANCH=next, so the kernel bump will have to wait for the dust to settle on that one before starting it's progress through.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

DougieLawson

Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:29 am

I'm wasn't expecting you to make any kernel changes for the duration. You don't want to risk making any change that could shoot the random rpi-update user's systems dead while the World (except America) is on Covid-19 lockdown. The commercial companies I work for have all implemented an Antarctic cold change freeze - nothing changes without board approval.

I won't be updating to 4.19.113 on all of my Raspberries (I usually run rpi-update when I see a new version). I'll be doing one RPi1B, one 3B+ and my 2B.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

6by9

Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:26 am

DougieLawson wrote:
I'm wasn't expecting you to make any kernel changes for the duration. You don't want to risk making any change that could shoot the random rpi-update user's systems dead while the World (except America) is on Covid-19 lockdown. The commercial companies I work for have all implemented an Antarctic cold change freeze - nothing changes without board approval.
The majority of us are still working from home, and the stuff we're doing doesn't generally require interaction beyond that which can be achieved via email, IM, or video call. Other than the change of location it's still generally busy as usual.

DougieLawson

Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:56 am

6by9 wrote:
DougieLawson wrote:
The majority of us are still working from home, and the stuff we're doing doesn't generally require interaction beyond that which can be achieved via email, IM, or video call. Other than the change of location it's still generally busy as usual.
Good answer. Maybe, I'm too focused on the mission critical stuff I'm doing for a UK supermarket.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

jamesh

Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:01 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:56 am
6by9 wrote:
DougieLawson wrote:
Good answer. Maybe, I'm too focused on the mission critical stuff I'm doing for a UK supermarket.
I'd add that is not quite business as usual if you have children, or are in the vulnerable group - children means constant interruptions, vulnerable groups means you are basically sitting at home waiting to get really ill (really just hoping you won't die), which does affect your concentration somewhat.

DougieLawson

Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:58 pm

jamesh wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:01 pm
I'd add that is not quite business as usual if you have children, or are in the vulnerable group - children means constant interruptions, vulnerable groups means you are basically sitting at home waiting to get really ill (really just hoping you won't die), which does affect your concentration somewhat.
Stay safe.

We've joined the empty nesters this year. My eldest daughter is now locked down some 14,500Km away in the boonies south of Perth WA. My middle one moved in with his girlfriend and her parents in the next village (3Km from us as the crow flies) and the youngest is in Renfrew as she's studying at Strathclyde Uni (well not studying right now, of course).

My wife is back to work at the local Tesco Express next week (she's on her weirdly weird with a frosting of weird vacation this week). I'm petrified that Covid-19 will come home with her when she's back at work from Monday. We should give the retailers on the front line a clap at 20:00 tonight for the undocumented risks they're taking.

Return to “Advanced users”