n8xyn
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:36 pm

Pi 4b GPU overclocking true or false?

Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:27 am

On the facebook group I read a statement saying that the GPU of the 4b might not actually be overclocking when you boast it to 600, 700, etc. I can't find the thread here although he mentioned this as the source. Is anyone familiar with that discussion?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 26454
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Pi 4b GPU overclocking true or false?

Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:52 am

With the very latest firmware the GPU can be overclocked.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

shaomingya
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:47 am

Re: Pi 4b GPU overclocking true or false?

Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:35 am

I try to set the GPU frequency to 600m, but use vcgencmd to view the core frequency, which is still 500m at most. Can you provide specific config.txt content?

User avatar
Imperf3kt
Posts: 3578
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:16 am
Location: Australia

Re: Pi 4b GPU overclocking true or false?

Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:19 pm

55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

fik
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:34 pm

Re: Pi 4b GPU overclocking true or false?

Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:49 am

jamesh wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:52 am
With the very latest firmware the GPU can be overclocked.
What exactly do you mean by the very latest firmware? I'm observing the same problem with setting core_freq=600.

vcgencmd measure_clock core shows only 500 for current raspberrypi-kernel-1.20200212-1 (4.19.97-v8+ #1294) and also for today's rpi-update (4.19.108-v8+ #1298).

However, for the randomly backed up version (created by rpi-update on 15-Aug 2019) it works. It seems that the latest firmwares lost the overclocking ability.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 26454
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Pi 4b GPU overclocking true or false?

Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:54 am

fik wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:49 am
jamesh wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:52 am
With the very latest firmware the GPU can be overclocked.
What exactly do you mean by the very latest firmware? I'm observing the same problem with setting core_freq=600.

vcgencmd measure_clock core shows only 500 for current raspberrypi-kernel-1.20200212-1 (4.19.97-v8+ #1294) and also for today's rpi-update (4.19.108-v8+ #1298).

However, for the randomly backed up version (created by rpi-update on 15-Aug 2019) it works. It seems that the latest firmwares lost the overclocking ability.
Core freq and GPU freq are different things. You should be able to set GPU frequency.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

fik
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:34 pm

Re: Pi 4b GPU overclocking true or false?

Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:10 am

I know gpu_freq and core_freq are different. Does it mean core_freq can no more be overclocked to 600 as stated on https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... locking.md?

fik
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:34 pm

Re: Pi 4b GPU overclocking true or false?

Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:42 pm

Never mind, it seems core_freq cannot be changed to 600 for Raspberry Pi 4.

I did some benchmarking and the performance does not increase for core_freq=600 and the older firmware. So I think the core of Raspberry Pi 4 is not overclocked, even though vcgencmd measure_clock core shows 600.

fik
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:34 pm

Re: Pi 4b GPU overclocking true or false?

Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:59 pm

Now the doc was updated and you actually can't change core_freq directly on Pi4, but you can use hdmi_enable_4kp60 to get 550MHz.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... locking.md

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 26454
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Pi 4b GPU overclocking true or false?

Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:14 pm

fik wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:59 pm
Now the doc was updated and you actually can't change core_freq directly on Pi4, but you can use hdmi_enable_4kp60 to get 550MHz.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... locking.md
Core freq was not granular enough - if you want to overclock parts of the GPU, rather than just the overriding core option, you can still do that, and the are various options to do so. See the Overclocking page.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

Return to “Advanced users”