Berrymore

What kind of Filesystem for the usb harddisc for the Media on a kodi-box?

Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:09 pm

Hi,

I want to setup a kodi system. The Media - usually mp3 and mpv or mp4 - is on a usb Harddisk. What kind of Filesystem do you prefer for the media to store and to play?

This is a verry difficult question for me. Every Harddisc I have has a dumb windows filesystem. This would be a lot of work.

Thanks
Berrymore

Berrymore

Re: What kind of Filesystem for the usb harddisc for the Media on a kodi-box?

Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:09 pm

I know what a filesystem like ext4 can do. It seems there a some possibilities.

1.) Leave it windows:

https://tektab.com/2015/11/06/mount-usb ... pberry-pi/

2.) Make it linux:

https://tektab.com/2015/11/14/mounting- ... pberry-pi/

What is the better solution?

Cu,

Berrymore

Kendek

Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:27 pm

Ext4 is the default filesystem and the best choice. No advanced features (like snapshots, data compress...), but it's safe, compatible and performs very well.

thagrol

Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:40 pm

Short answer: it depends.

Long answer:

If the HDD you intend to use already has data on it that you want to keep don't reformat it.

If you want to be able to plug the HDD directly into a windows box and have it "just work" use a windows file system e.g. NTFS

If you want to be able to plug the HDD directly into a windows box and are prepared to install software on windows so it can be accessed, use ext4.

If you're only ever going to directly connect the HDD to a Pi (or other linux box) use ext4.

Linux can read/write most windows formats. Windows can only access its own without third party software being aded to it. Machines accessing the HDD over the network (e.g. via samba) don't know and don't care what the underlying filesystem is.
Attempts to contact me outside of these forums will be ignored unless signed in triplicate, sent in, sent back, queried, lost, found, subjected to public enquiry, lost again, and finally buried in soft peat for three months and recycled as firelighters

Return to “Advanced users”