kareemwaheed

Best language to use on raspberry pi

Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:45 pm

Hello,

i created some projects on raspberry pi using native python scripts and MQTT library ,

i was wondering is there a clean framework or language to use with raspberry, i know that there is no best language.

now i follow the model that i write multiple python scripts to read, publish and subscribing then run these scripts separately using ssh.

PS. all the projects i use have sensors to read data then publish it to iot platform and could send a command from the iot platform to control relays or motor

so what is the best approach/framework to make things easier and faster.

Thanks

DougieLawson

Re: Best language to use on raspberry pi

Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:02 pm

1. Choose a language you already know.
2. Choose a language you want to learn.

There's no such thing as "best" because for some things I'll argue that COBOL is ideal, the next respondent will say PL/I and the third will say C/C++.

Ultimately everything boils down to machine code, but the development cost of writing code in assembler is way higher than in a high-level language.

Then there's the war between compiled, interpreted and byte-code languages to add another layer of complexity.

The "best" language depends on what you're trying to achieve.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

kareemwaheed

Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:44 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:02 pm
1. Choose a language you already know.
2. Choose a language you want to learn.

There's no such thing as "best" because for some things I'll argue that COBOL is ideal, the next respondent will say PL/I and the third will say C/C++.

Ultimately everything boils down to machine code, but the development cost of writing code in assembler is way higher than in a high-level language.

Then there's the war between compiled, interpreted and byte-code languages to add another layer of complexity.

The "best" language depends on what you're trying to achieve.
yes of course i know that there is no best languages. but i was wondering about framework to use instead of native python that will help in IoT solutions .

hippy

Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:03 pm

kareemwaheed wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:44 pm
i know that there is no best languages. but i was wondering about framework to use instead of native python that will help in IoT solutions .
If what you have is working then it seems that is good enough and there doesn't seem any compulsion or need to move to any other framework.

In what way is what you have lacking, or what sort of problem or limitation are you foreseeing, which would seem to necessitate using some other framework ?

If it's just to make things easier to code or use, that may be solved by refactoring what you have, creating a module and/or class which does what it currently does but provides a nicer interface to your code which uses that.

mattmiller

Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:46 pm

Have a look into Node-RED

It's a different way of approaching IoT that's quite good

DougieLawson

Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:26 pm

mattmiller wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:46 pm
Have a look into Node-RED

It's a different way of approaching IoT that's quite good
This satisfies my option #2. NodeRED was invented by the same team at IBM that developed the RSMB MQTT broker (under the guidance of Dr. Andy Stanford-Clark) so is ideally suited to IoT with Andy's MQTT protocol.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

Return to “Advanced users”