jgonzi

Re: DVFS Firmware

Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:52 pm

I haven't test it yet... but if for overclocking we use the parameters arm_freq_min und core_freq_min, we will avoid the DVFS...

If arm_freq_min = arm_freq and core_freq_min=core_freq the system should disable the DVFS.

If that works like this people can update his firmware and if they want to go to 2147 arm_freq or use the DVFS...

carbone

Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:31 pm

No it doesnt work like that. Limited DVFS was already being implemented before the latest update and now it only prevents the gpu_freq being increased. If you use "vcgencmd measure_volts core" you will see how much the voltage has been dropped and they have posted it would be very difficult to provide an "opt out"

bunklung

Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:41 pm

timg236 wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:34 pm
jamesh wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:17 pm
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... locking.md

See v3d_freq, assuming it's actually the 3D you need to be a little bit faster, although that is unclear.

Although note that hdmi_enable_4kp60=1 in config.txt will also bump the some stuff in the GPU to 600. Not sure exactly what else is affected.
600 MHz was the launch firmware, since the September update hdmi_enable_4kp60 uses 550 MHz for the core frequency. 600 MHz core is a lot of extra power for not much gain. v3d_freq is largely independent of core frequency.
This is an issue as some users had set their gpu_freq to 600, the official bump on 4kp60. Now their 4Bs won't boot since they didn't use hdmi_enable_4kp60=1, but used gpu_freq=600 instead. Perhaps you should have ignored the gpu_freq when you created this new update?

I was bit confused after I updated my two machines. The shift key didn't work and I came here to find out 600 is no longer supported in config.txt :( Why the shift key doesn't work is a bummer too :( Thankfully I had a SD card reader so I could edit config.txt. I feel bad for the people who will clean the slate through.

bunklung

Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:42 pm

Quicksilver wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:55 pm
jamesh wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:23 am
It would be useful to know which specific part of the GPU is giving the extra performance required. 3d only? Or one of the other blocks? All of them?
On the pi 3 it was the core_freq that most benefited emulators that were bottlenecked by the GPU. In my tests increasing the v3d_freq did not increase the FPS for either mupen64plus (n64 emulator) or reicast (dreamcast emulator) but overclocking the core_freq did increase the average FPS for games that dont run at fullspeed already.

I am still running tests on the pi 4 to see if there is any benefit in overclocking the GPU. And if so, which blocks provide the benefit. Ill reports back some specifics once I am finished.
Have you tried: hdmi_enable_4kp60=1 This pushes the gpu to 550.
*update* doesn't seem to effect the reported frequency. Still seems stuck at 500mhz :( I do not have a 4k display, but I suspect this override is ignored when there is no 4k display detected.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:59 pm

bunklung wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:41 pm
timg236 wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:34 pm
jamesh wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:17 pm

See v3d_freq, assuming it's actually the 3D you need to be a little bit faster, although that is unclear.

Although note that hdmi_enable_4kp60=1 in config.txt will also bump the some stuff in the GPU to 600. Not sure exactly what else is affected.
600 MHz was the launch firmware, since the September update hdmi_enable_4kp60 uses 550 MHz for the core frequency. 600 MHz core is a lot of extra power for not much gain. v3d_freq is largely independent of core frequency.
This is an issue as some users had set their gpu_freq to 600, the official bump on 4kp60. Now their 4Bs won't boot since they didn't use hdmi_enable_4kp60=1, but used gpu_freq=600 instead. Perhaps you should have ignored the gpu_freq when you created this new update?

I was bit confused after I updated my two machines. The shift key didn't work and I came here to find out 600 is no longer supported in config.txt :( Why the shift key doesn't work is a bummer too :( Thankfully I had a SD card reader so I could edit config.txt. I feel bad for the people who will clean the slate through.
Yes, I was surprised how many people have gpu=600 given it doesn't really do much except for some specific user cases. It's not something we have ever recommended as an alternative to hdmi_enable_4kp60 - there's a reason we have a specific command for that as IRC, it does other things apart from clock speeds. And we have never guaranteed any overclocking whatsoever. We will need to do something to ensure that these sorts of invalid values don't get passed on from config.txt to cause chaos downstream.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“My wife said to me `...you’re not even listening`.
I thought, that’s an odd way to start a conversation.."

jamesh

Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:02 pm

jgonzi wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:52 pm
I haven't test it yet... but if for overclocking we use the parameters arm_freq_min und core_freq_min, we will avoid the DVFS...

If arm_freq_min = arm_freq and core_freq_min=core_freq the system should disable the DVFS.

If that works like this people can update his firmware and if they want to go to 2147 arm_freq or use the DVFS...
DVFS is the best option, and it's not easily/actually possible to make it switchable. I doubt we will be making a 'non-DVFS' version of the firmware, so now would be a good time to move to it because it's not going away.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

pica200

Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:51 pm

Leaving this here too (also see the following comments):
https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware ... -582410092

With this new firmware we can go even higher than previously! But don't party yet because testing is still ongoing. This firmware may burn you house down and kills your kittens :mrgreen:

bunklung

Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:28 pm

pica200 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:51 pm
Leaving this here too (also see the following comments):
https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware ... -582410092

With this new firmware we can go even higher than previously! But don't party yet because testing is still ongoing. This firmware may burn you house down and kills your kittens :mrgreen:
Great news! Thanks for the update and link. The emulation scene/gaming side of the house will be elated.

pica200

Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:11 am

The new firmware has been pushed. It will take a while to make it into stable (and hopefully it doesn't set any house on fire in the meantime) but it's worth the wait! It's probably already available via rpi-update for the impatient.

As mentioned in my tests the highest you can go now with all but core_freq is somewhere between 800-850. For my SoC 830 seems to work. But it comes at a high price because you have to use over_voltage=6 which is way beyond what the PMIC can safely deliver. Certain workloads like the unsharpen filter in Gimp will cause brownouts (and a reboot as a result). There is nothing that can be done about this without hardware modifications unfortunately. Most emulators will probably work fine without triggering brownouts.

TechNovice

Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:41 pm

I appreciate all the time the developers spend here in the community. I love my Raspberry Pis.

The main reason this caused me trouble is that the overclock documentation page on the Raspberry Pi website indicated that an accepted gpu_freq overclock setting was 600MHz. When I tried to set this, my system refused to boot, so I thought I had broken something, or that I had a defective Raspberry Pi.
600 is the only other accepted value

Is there any way to change the documentation so that it JUST states the default value for gpu_freq on a Pi4B and doesn’t indicate that overclock is “accepted”? Perhaps, instead, it can indicate that setting hdmi_enable_4kp60=1 will increase the gpu_freq without having “gpu_freq” set.

Thanks

jamesh

Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:17 pm

TechNovice wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:41 pm
I appreciate all the time the developers spend here in the community. I love my Raspberry Pis.

The main reason this caused me trouble is that the overclock documentation page on the Raspberry Pi website indicated that an accepted gpu_freq overclock setting was 600MHz. When I tried to set this, my system refused to boot, so I thought I had broken something, or that I had a defective Raspberry Pi.
600 is the only other accepted value

Is there any way to change the documentation so that it JUST states the default value for gpu_freq on a Pi4B and doesn’t indicate that overclock is “accepted”? Perhaps, instead, it can indicate that setting hdmi_enable_4kp60=1 will increase the gpu_freq without having “gpu_freq” set.

Thanksu
This whole area has changed dramatically in the last few weeks, and is still fluid, which is why the docs have not yet caught up. Once code is stable i'll update them.

bunklung

Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:04 am

Does anyone know if this fix for overclocking the GPU is available in a regular apt update?

jamesh

Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:43 am

bunklung wrote:
Does anyone know if this fix for overclocking the GPU is available in a regular apt update?
Yes, been in there for weeks.

bunklung

Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:16 am

jamesh wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:43 am
bunklung wrote:
Yes, been in there for weeks.
Thank you for the fix. I didn't want to test it just to find out I have a brick. The shift key trick doesn't work for my 4B on boot. Perhaps it's my keyboard?

dom

Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:03 pm

bunklung wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:16 am
Thank you for the fix. I didn't want to test it just to find out I have a brick. The shift key trick doesn't work for my 4B on boot. Perhaps it's my keyboard?
In general holding down shift key during boot work, but some keyboard seem to need a shift press close to the point where performance governor is enabled. So try tapping shift while it boots.

Return to “Advanced users”