tmuzaa14

Writing an Image from Raspberry Pi

Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:41 pm

Hie

I have connected an SD card module to my raspberry pi and i would like to know how i can write an image to the SD card connected to the SD card module

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Writing an Image from Raspberry Pi

Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:53 pm

tmuzaa14 wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:41 pm
Hie

I have connected an SD card module to my raspberry pi and i would like to know how i can write an image to the SD card connected to the SD card module
Can you provide more info. w.r.t. the "SD card module"? The "common" way to write images to a second uSDHC card is to use a USB-based card reader/writer. FWIW, see my example/notes here: http://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi ... uSDHC_card and an example of cloning an existing uSDHC card using Raspbian's SD Card Copier tool here: http://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi ... OnP4B.html
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2) but Buster on the P4B's. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

HawaiianPi

Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:05 pm

Images are normally written on another Windows, Linux or Mac OS computer, and then the card is moved to the Raspberry Pi. There are also apps to write cards on Android devices or Chromebooks.

The Raspberry Pi itself does nothing without an OS, so you need a working OS to use the Pi to write another card. If all you have is a Raspberry Pi and an empty SD card, you are out of luck. Ask a friend or relative with a computer to help you make your first Raspbian or NOOBS card.

If you happen to have a Raspberry Pi 3B+ model, you also have the option of writing a Raspbian image to a USB flash drive (the 3B+ can boot directly from USB with no SD card), but you'll still need a working computer to do that.

If your Pi already has a working OS, and you are just trying to make another card with a USB SD card adapter, you can extract the image file from the .zip download and use the dd or cp command to write the new card. It's also possible to extract and write in one operation to save space. From a root shell or terminal (sudo su) you can extract the image and write the card all in one step with the following command.

Code: Select all

unzip -p 2019-09-26-raspbian-buster-lite.zip >/dev/sda
This assumes you are in the directory with the .zip file and your SD card in the reader is /dev/sda.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

tmuzaa14

Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:02 am

Thank you for your reply , It helped me figure out what i wanted to accomplish

DavidBeare60

Download Noobs to Android phone without SD app

Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:17 am

1 download Noobs

2 format SD card

3 copy noobs zip file to SD card

4 unzip to SD card

5 make sure unzip files are on SD card but not in a folder

6 delete copied sip archive from SD card

7 delete all Android folders and files from SD card. Do not delete any Noobs files. One Android file might remain. Ignore this

8 do not turn off phone, but remove SD card and SIM card tray

9 remove SD card from Trey. It is now a bootable noobs SD card.

10 boot Raspberry Pi with this SD card

Good luck, let me know if this worked for you.

Return to “Advanced users”