ridgerunnersjw

Real VNC server on windows 10 -- Real VNC viewer on Pi

Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:01 pm

Hello....
Can someone tell me or point me to a good youtube video on how to access my laptop and run different applications remotely off of a raspberry Pi that is on the same local network? I have successfully run the client (server) on the Pi and am using Real VNC viewer on windows but now I would like to operate in the opposite direction.....Can't seem to find the right explanation...

thanks
Steve

itimpi

Re: Real VNC server on windows 10 -- Real VNC viewer on Pi

Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:04 pm

You might want to try using NoMachine as it has a client for Raspberry Pi. In my experience NoMachine give far better performance than VNC as well as being richer from a functionality viewpoint.

fruitoftheloom

Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:10 am

ridgerunnersjw wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:01 pm
Hello....
Can someone tell me or point me to a good youtube video on how to access my laptop and run different applications remotely off of a raspberry Pi that is on the same local network? I have successfully run the client (server) on the Pi and am using Real VNC viewer on windows but now I would like to operate in the opposite direction.....Can't seem to find the right explanation...

thanks
Steve

RealVNC Connect Server install on Windows:

https://www.realvnc.com/en/connect/download/vnc/

They have install instructions...

...then just run the Viewer in Raspbian !
Retired disgracefully.....

ridgerunnersjw

Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:14 pm

Thanks all for the reply....I was able to get RealVNC server on the Windows 10 machine but it forces me to use Real VNC cloud service....Unfortunately I will not have access to the internet so another option like NoMachine might be the solution. With respect to VNC servers/clients can someone tell me:

1. Can you mix and match VNC given that RFB is the standard transport packet? (ex. RealVNC on client as viewer but TightVNC on server)

2. Can I use TightVNC, etc. with only local connections? (no internet)

3. Other than NoMachine are there recommendations? (I want the PI 3 to have the Viewer and the Windows 10 laptop to have the server)

fruitoftheloom

Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:19 pm

ridgerunnersjw wrote:
Thanks all for the reply....I was able to get RealVNC server on the Windows 10 machine but it forces me to use Real VNC cloud service....Unfortunately I will not have access to the internet so another option like NoMachine might be the solution. With respect to VNC servers/clients can someone tell me:

1. Can you mix and match VNC given that RFB is the standard transport packet? (ex. RealVNC on client as viewer but TightVNC on server)

3. Other than NoMachine are there recommendations? (I want the PI 3 to have the Viewer and the Windows 10 laptop to have the server)

If both machines are on same network then you use the local IP Addressing, if RealVNC is requesting "Cloud" connection you have network issues.

ridgerunnersjw

Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:51 pm

Can you be more specific here?...I am new here and not quite sure what I am doing....

Basically I have tightvncserver 64 bit installed on Laptop....I have installed xtightvncviewer on Pi....I have found that if I run the viewer and put in the local IP address I can log on to my laptop....This all sounds great except I found that if I turn off my internet on my laptop by "clicking on the internet access at the bottom of the pc and disconnecting" that my VNC viewer on the Pi when issued will not bring up the password login and just hangs there....If I "reconnect" all works again....

I'm assuming that when I "disconnect" this essentially is disconnecting me from the public IP and not the local IP....is this correct?

Also when all of this is working in a local network do I need to be tunneling it over SSH or because I am on a private local network am I safe?

thanks

fruitoftheloom

Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:19 pm

ridgerunnersjw wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:51 pm
Can you be more specific here?...I am new here and not quite sure what I am doing....

Basically I have tightvncserver 64 bit installed on Laptop....I have installed xtightvncviewer on Pi....I have found that if I run the viewer and put in the local IP address I can log on to my laptop....This all sounds great except I found that if I turn off my internet on my laptop by "clicking on the internet access at the bottom of the pc and disconnecting" that my VNC viewer on the Pi when issued will not bring up the password login and just hangs there....If I "reconnect" all works again....

I'm assuming that when I "disconnect" this essentially is disconnecting me from the public IP and not the local IP....is this correct?

Also when all of this is working in a local network do I need to be tunneling it over SSH or because I am on a private local network am I safe?

thanks

RealVNC is not the same as TightVNC, I have successfully used RealVNC, which I mentioned above....

.....but these days do not use Windows 10 !

ridgerunnersjw

Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:28 pm

So I went ahead and clicked the link you sent for RealVNC server on windows...Installed it, etc. ...I have the viewer on my Pi....I can see the desktop of the laptop....all seems good....but my concern is that I still need internet access?? If I disable WiFi on the laptop my Pi RealVNC Viewer disconnects and If I enable WiFi I am back in business....I'm not sure I understand how to have a "local" wireless network between two machines with RealVNC or anything else for that matter without Internet access.....Can you please elaborate?

Thank you

fruitoftheloom

Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:48 am

ridgerunnersjw wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:28 pm
So I went ahead and clicked the link you sent for RealVNC server on windows...Installed it, etc. ...I have the viewer on my Pi....I can see the desktop of the laptop....all seems good....but my concern is that I still need internet access?? If I disable WiFi on the laptop my Pi RealVNC Viewer disconnects and If I enable WiFi I am back in business....I'm not sure I understand how to have a "local" wireless network between two machines with RealVNC or anything else for that matter without Internet access.....Can you please elaborate?

Thank you

I assumed you have a Router connecting you to the Internet not your PC directly ?

PiGraham

Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:00 am

ridgerunnersjw wrote:

Yes, TightVNC works on Windows (client and server) on LAN (or WLAN) only. I haven't tried it on Linux or Raspbian specifically but I would expect it to work the same way.
You give the IP address of the server to the client program.

Return to “Advanced users”