RedDragon

Flash image for x86 on RaspberryPi

Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:29 pm

Hello,

I have an old HP machine what I tried to flash. Of course that went wrong and now I have to write a flash on Raspberry and solder it into the DC7700 to be able to reuse my Debian system. As far as I understood I need FLASHrom to write the flash that is fine. I have already bought the chip it takes a month to receive it than I can test writing it with Raspberry.
The question is the image what to write. HP does not support with bin file to flash. It is bad, but it can turn to good no limitation on what to flash. I found libreboot and coreboot. There are some possibilities flash only with seabios, or go further grub2 or linuxboot.
I would like to ask help to create an image which works on the DC and flash it.

Thank you!
LAszlo

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Flash image for x86 on RaspberryPi

Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:51 pm

How?

with which flash programmer?

you can flash a loose (BIOS) FLASH chip with something like an MiniPRO TL866CS USB programmer, but AFAIK the TL866CS only support windows, also that software supports many, but not all, devices. It might not support the flash chip you want to use.

so a RPI might not even be the right tool for the job, and also for details on how to flash the BIOS chip in your HP, I would not ask it here, but on a HP forum.

good luck with this....

fruitoftheloom

Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:58 pm

RedDragon wrote:
Hello,

I have an old HP machine what I tried to flash. Of course that went wrong and now I have to write a flash on Raspberry and solder it into the DC7700 to be able to reuse my Debian system. As far as I understood I need FLASHrom to write the flash that is fine. I have already bought the chip it takes a month to receive it than I can test writing it with Raspberry.
The question is the image what to write. HP does not support with bin file to flash. It is bad, but it can turn to good no limitation on what to flash. I found libreboot and coreboot. There are some possibilities flash only with seabios, or go further grub2 or linuxboot.
I would like to ask help to create an image which works on the DC and flash it.

Thank you!
LAszlo

How are you going to wire up the "BIOS Chip" to the Raspberry Pi SBC.

Your post needs more details.....
Retired disgracefully.....
......to an uncomplicated life !

Rather than negativity think outside the box !

Kendek

Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:48 pm

RedDragon wrote:
The question is the image what to write. HP does not support with bin file to flash.
Are you sure about that? You can download the .exe BIOS/UEFI updater from support.hp.com, and you can unpack the .bin file from it. I have found my Rom.bin file in the sp91541.exe, with File Roller.

sp91541.exe -> ROM.cab -> Rom.bin

Void Frost

Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:11 am

Kendek wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:48 pm
RedDragon wrote:
The question is the image what to write. HP does not support with bin file to flash.
Are you sure about that? You can download the .exe BIOS/UEFI updater from support.hp.com, and you can unpack the .bin file from it. I have found my Rom.bin file in the sp91541.exe, with File Roller.

sp91541.exe -> ROM.cab -> Rom.bin

Hey @Kendek what software is this? Looks nice.
Raspberry Pi User. Subscribe to my YouTube channel, if you want :D https://www.youtube.com/c/VoidFrost

Kendek

Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:17 am

Void Frost wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:11 am
Hey @Kendek what software is this? Looks nice.
This is File Roller, the default archive manager on Ubuntu. You can use the Xarchiver to extract files on Raspbian.

Return to “Advanced users”