BeauSlim

Re: Pi 4B: question on OpenVPN performance or speed [RESULTS]

Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:54 am

The problem is that OpenVPN is single-thread. If you care about OpenVPN throughput you need to use a device that offers hardware crypto acceleration. No Pi does.

Intel's AES-NI is the most common and generally simplest to get going. An old PC (some as far back as 2011), a recent low end embedded board (eg J4105), or a single core virtual machine on a desktop PC will all leave a Pi in the dust in terms of OpenVPN speed. Check your CPU on Intel's ARK web site to see if it supports AES-NI.

Quite a few SBCs support hardware crypto acceleration, but I don't know what the best choice is right now. People had high hopes for the espressobin, but it turned out to have other issues unrelated to crypto and apparently isn't a good choice. You will find comparative benchmarks over in the Armbian forums.

Another option is to use a protocol that uses more than 1 cpu core. I've heard good things about WireGuard, and I know that some VPN providers are starting to support it. Make sure your Pi4 has a fan. ;)

huntermic

Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:16 am

WireGuard will give you near wirespeed vpn on a RP4

thatchunkylad198966

Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:42 am

Yeah well I couldn't max out my speeds with OpenVPN and my VPN provider so I decided to try Wireguard and guess what? my line is maxed.
OpenVPN is old and not reliable. it's way too slow on a Pi 4.
One man's trash is another man's treasure! :) Pi's I have; Pi Zero, Pi Zero W, Pi 2 x2, Pi 3 x2, Pi 4 4GB x2.

epoch1970

Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:48 am

OpenVPN is very reliable and ported to a whole host of OSes. It also supports bridged mode which WG does not.
No need to diss it.
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

Return to “Advanced users”