lancid

Pre-building Buster on RPi 3 for coming RPi 4

Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:46 pm

Hi,

I have an app that runs on the Pi 3B+. I'm excited to run it on the new Pi 4 (I have some units on order that should arrive in a few weeks).

I understand that I'm going to have to rebuild the environment on Buster. If I install Buster on a 3B+ and get everything reinstalled, configured and running, can I simply install that SD card in the Pi 4 and expect everything to work seamlessly and have it take advantage of the extra RAM, etc?

Essentially, I'm wondering if I can get a head start on the conversion using a 3B+ or if I need to wait for the 4 to arrive before starting the conversion to Buster.

Thanks!

rpdom

Re: Pre-building Buster on RPi 3 for coming RPi 4

Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:33 am

Yes, if you do a clean install of Buster and then get your app working on the 3B+, it should work fine on the 4B.

Jimblob64

Re: Pre-building Buster on RPi 3 for coming RPi 4

Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:10 pm

It worked beautifully for me. Got Buster all set up in a Pi 3, moved the card to the Pi 4 that came last night, and it's the exact same computer in effect- just with every part upgraded, and now with 4k as a display option.

If you have wi-fi set up, the only thing that will change is your Pi's IP address, thanks to each board having its own MAC address.

TL;DR version: can confirm this works wirh no problems whatsoever.
RPi 4B w/ Buster in a toasty little official case, and an RPi 3B w/ Stretch.

Return to “Advanced users”