oh7fxk

Raspberry as ircserver

Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:10 pm

Hello from Finland!
I was thinking use my RPi as irc and webserver.
Webserver is the easy part, but the ircserver isn't.

I don't have any idea how well RPi can run ircserver whit out problems?
And wich server is light for running on RPI?
I think about IRCd but maybe it's too heavy?

nichlas

Re: Raspberry as ircserver

Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:00 am

I don't see why this should be a problem.

IRC daemons generally are pretty lightweight - the load comes from the number of users, and number of connections.

I suggest having a look at Charybdis (http://www.atheme.org/project/charybdis) project instead of the old IRCd. It seems to be a more modern implementation. You can decide for yourself if your Pi should also run the services for the server (ex. using Atheme (http://www.atheme.net/) from the same project as Charybdis).

nichlas

Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:04 am

I don't see why not. IRC daemons are generally lightweight. The load usually comes from the number of users/connections.

I suggest having a look at Charybdis (an IRCd) and Atheme (Services daemon).

vmp32k

Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:50 am

You could try UnrealIRCd, ngIRCd, InspireIRCd just to name a few from the top of my head.
All of the above should work well up to a few hundred clients maybe, or even more (let us know how it goes ;) ).
If you really just need the bare minimum of the IRC implementation theres miniircd on github.

oh7fxk

Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:26 pm

IRCd runs fine but crashes after about 20 connections, others run fine couplehours and then crashes.
CPU usage rises before it.

One of my Debian servers have been on about 1.5years wiht IRCd without any problems.
Maybe I change that Raspbian to Moebius and try again, Moebius was much faster when I tested it.

Return to “Advanced users”