CrazyNinja

Raspberry Pi Zero W - Case clip broke off component

Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:02 am

Hi ya. I have a pi zero w, brand new only 5hrs old. it was working till I put it into its new green pi zero w case which is a genuine pi case from pi hut.
This is my problem hope someone can help till I hear back from pi hut.
As the board was in place in the base of the new case it was working fine, the base has 2 4 legs to hold the board from moving and 2 fastening clips so when you close the lid it snaps into place. Here is where I have lost a component. If anyone has a pi zero w you have 2 small USB ports then to the right there is a little triangle with 2 components at its peak what do these components do? As when I put the top of the case on that's when the board lost power. I have the case apart and can see that the clip to hold the top case has ripped one component of the board completely and no I don't know where it is. What was it and is this some way related to my loss of power?

Ernst

Re: Raspberry Pi Zero W - Working with missing part on motherboard

Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:15 am

CrazyNinja wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:02 am
Hi ya. I have a pi zero w, brand new only 5hrs old. it was working till I put it into its new green pi zero w case which is a genuine pi case from pi hut.
This is my problem hope someone can help till I hear back from pi hut.
As the board was in place in the base of the new case it was working fine, the base has 2 4 legs to hold the board from moving and 2 fastening clips so when you close the lid it snaps into place. Here is where I have lost a component. If anyone has a pi zero w you have 2 small USB ports then to the right there is a little triangle with 2 components at its peak what do these components do? As when I put the top of the case on that's when the board lost power. I have the case apart and can see that the clip to hold the top case has ripped one component of the board completely and no I don't know where it is. What was it and is this some way related to my loss of power?
https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/pi-zero-w/
The triangle recession in the board is known as the ground plane. This free space is used to interact with the radio waves. They resonate in this cavity at just the right frequency. The two components at the small side, right up by the board, are a couple of capacitors which capture the radio signal.
The road to insanity is paved with static ip addresses

hippy

Re: Raspberry Pi Zero W - Case clip broke off component

Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:50 pm

As Ernst notes; those appear to be coupling capacitors for the embedded antenna.

It doesn't appear that losing one or both of those would cause a loss of power so it may be that they shorted the board or other components when they became detached, or the PCB has cracked when the case was closed.

That may mean that the board is not repairable. It may be worth contacting the supplier of the case to determine where fault lies for the damage done.

Return to “Advanced users”