chuck8

HELP! Screen cropping

Thu May 23, 2019 3:46 pm

Hi there,

Brand new to this and never owned a Pi but need to know if a couple of things are possible before ordering some.

Is it possible to crop the edges of the display output?

Details:

I want to display a Google Sheet on a TV, but crop out the column letters along the top, the row letters along the left, the scroll bar along the right, and the sheet tabs along the bottom (all left over when you enter full screen mode). A crop of around 20 pixels or so from each edge should do the trick.

I know some TVs have this feature but I can't rely on a specific model of TV being used.

Maybe on the Pi operating system you can somehow just scale a window to be larger than the display area? (something you can't do on Windows)

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: HELP! Screen cropping

Thu May 23, 2019 4:21 pm

I think you could do this by using the overscan parameters in config.txt

Not sure that's the best way of achieving the goal though.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

chuck8

Thu May 23, 2019 4:33 pm

Thanks jamesh,

I thought it might be achievable by overscanning, like what sometimes happens when you connect a laptop to a TV..

I would be very grateful if somebody could confirm this for me.

6by9

Thu May 23, 2019 5:35 pm

Negative overscan is not possible.
Make Google sheets remove them - it seems you have to publish the data to achieve it though. https://stackoverflow.com/questions/261 ... readsheets
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

Return to “Advanced users”