lancid

Simple GUI config - wifi, IP, timezone

Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:08 am

Hi,

I've written a small application I would like to distribute on an RPi. I'd like to find some type of very simple GUI program that would run the first time the RPi is plugged in at the end user's location. This simple GUI would allow the user to set the wifi SSID/password, timezone and a non-routable static IP address. This application is not meant for computer savvy people so asking them to go through the standard RPi GUI setup would be asking a lot (too much).

Any ideas on a program or method for settings these parameters that is dead simple (to set up and to use)?

Thanks!

knute

Re: Simple GUI config - wifi, IP, timezone

Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:12 pm

I can think of a lot of ways to do this but off the top of my head, I would say run your configuration program as a desktop entry and once the user enters the applicable data, write a message to a file that says it has been set or erase the desktop entry or? You could have another icon on the desktop that runs the program with a command line option to tell it to ignore the file that says it's already configured in case the user wants to change the SSID or time zone.

Andyroo

Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:17 pm

You could use https://github.com/balena-io/wifi-connect as a starting point.

This lets the user set the WiFi up from scratch and I doubt it would be hard to add the other bits.
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

lancid

Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:36 pm

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll explore some of these a bit and see what I can come up with.

Thanks!

Return to “Advanced users”