grahamed

What is the latest MySQL on Pi?

Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:07 am

Hi

What is the latest re MySQL on Pi?

I have a working system using Maria installed about a year ago (might be more). At the time I could access it from MySQL Workbench on my PC (Workbench came with MySQL V5.7.25 but I think Workbench had a different number). I could also access MySQL server on my PC.

Since my PC got rebuilt I have MySQL 8.0.15 and the asssociated Workbench. I cannot access the Maria on the Pi. I can install the old Workbench but then I cannot access the Server 8 on my PC. It seems I cannot install both versions of Workbench.

I'd rather update/change the rapsberry to MySQL 8 if that's possible. Otherwise what to do?

It seems that Maria is advertised as a drop-in replacement for MySQL - maybe, maybe not.

scruss

Re: I want MySQL instead of MariaDB

Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:35 am

no updates; why would there be? It's dead upstream to Debian, so Raspbian won't touch it.
Compiling it seems a bust unless you're very patient.
Use sqlite.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.
Pronouns: he/him

grahamed

Re: I want MySQL instead of MariaDB

Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:58 am

So I say want to use MySQL so I can use Workbench and the advice is use sqlite. Yeah sure.

scruss

Re: What is the latest MySQL on Pi?

Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:27 pm

no, there are no arm archives there.

If you want to try compiling it, I tried a few weeks back and left semi-helpful (ie, more helpful than my sqlite suggestion) compiling instructions: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=199639&p=1432174#p1425752
It'll need a lot of swap and might take all day. I didn't succeed, so I don't know if there are pitfalls beyond where my build gave up.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.
Pronouns: he/him

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:03 pm

MariaDB is the official, legal and morally-sound update to MySQL, from the developers of MySQL.

Debian has recognized that and is now offering nothing but MariaDB, they dropped MySQL because it has been taken over by big business.
I suggest you do the same (I mean start using MariaDB...., not being taken over by big business :mrgreen: )

fruitoftheloom

Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:17 pm

There was another recent post on this subject and will point you to Debian's stance:

https://mariadb.com/kb/en/library/movin ... -debian-9/
Thinking outside the box is better than burying your head in the sand...

swampdog

Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:32 am

This idea may not be suitable for your needs: you could install a virtual machine on your PC with an older version of mysql workbench running in it.

Return to “Advanced users”