Azmath.Verticross

How to Pull files from PC to RPI and Push files from to RPI

Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:06 am

Hellooo!!!!

I'm trying to Exchange files between my PC and RPI using FTP protocol, I wanted to pull files from RPI to PC using FTP without using any third software, and push files from RPI to PC without using any third software like Filezilla or WinSCP.
Kindly, please help me in solving these above doubts.

Thanking you,

Regards,
Mohd Azmath.

B.Goode

Re: How to Pull files from PC to RPI and Push files from to RPI

Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:54 am

without using any third software ....

If you seek a solution using only native (default) tools that are part of the Operating Systems involved then as a minimum you will need to spell out what Operating Systems are running on the RPi and PC respectively.

You seem to like setting yourself inconvenient challenges: what is the impediment to installing tools that would make this process simple? (A marked assignment that is meant to make you think, for example?)

And as an obligatory comment: the FTP protocol is inherently insecure, deprecated, and should not be seriously considered for any new deployment or development where data security is, or should be, a concern.

drushtx

Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:10 pm

Couple choices:

1) Set up ftp services on both boxes and enable anonymous ftp. Use cron jobs on the PI to accomplish both of your push and pull tasks.

2) Set up tftp servers on both boxes and use cron jobs same way as above.

Yes, there are security issues but if both boxes are behind the same NAT router and you're not port forwarding, it's no more of a risk than having any kind of box on the NAT side of a router.

echmain

Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:45 pm

Azmath.Verticross wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:06 am
Hellooo!!!!

I'm trying to Exchange files between my PC and RPI using FTP protocol, I wanted to pull files from RPI to PC using FTP without using any third software, and push files from RPI to PC without using any third software like Filezilla or WinSCP.

Thanking you,

Regards,
Mohd Azmath.
My Windows 10 has secure ftp (sftp) and secure copy (scp) command line tools. I didn't install anything separate.

default_user8

Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:46 pm

Two heads are better than one, unless one's a goat head.

porkpiehat

Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:48 am

echmain wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:45 pm
My Windows 10 has secure ftp (sftp) and secure copy (scp) command line tools. I didn't install anything separate.
Indeed, Windows 10 now has a built-in OpenSSH client that also includes sFTP and SCP (link).

It seems to me that the syntax is very similar to the Linux SCP, so simply use that:

Code: Select all

scp /path/to/local/file user@myip:/path/to/target

Return to “Advanced users”