messypotamia

USB boot, PI3B+: followed instructions, doesn't work

Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:22 pm

I have a 3B+. Wrote the latest raspbian lite (2018-11-13-raspbian-stretch-lite.img -- it's for a headless operation) to a SD card, boots up fine, set the OTP bit and vcgencmd shows 17:3020000a. So following this reference: <https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... des/msd.md>...
I've prepped the USB stick in the Pi by fdisk, wiping it so it's fresh, then making a windows-compatible partition 8G (you have to do this so your laptop will recognize it so Win32DiskImager will work), then write the .img to that.
According to the instructions on the "USB Boot" instruction page, which I believe I followed exactly, it should boot but it doesn't. Did I forget to do something? Isn't it implied that once your Pi 3B+ has the OTP bit set it will boot from a USB which has the image?
I verified the cmdline.txt the imager wrote corresponds, and the partuuid belongs to the proper USB partition, to wit:

Code: Select all

dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=serial0,115200 console=tty1 root=PARTUUID=7ee80803-02 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline fsck.repair=yes rootwait quiet init=/usr/lib/raspi-config/init_resize.sh
I viewed the devices, comparing the filesystems on the SD card which it successfully boots from (mmcblkp0 and p1) and they correspond almost identically to the /dev/sda1 and sda2, and have the same data in them (when mounted so I can ls -al them)

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong or left out.

Let me know if there's something you need to look at, I'm stumped. BTW I've re-done this "exercise" several times just to make sure I'm following the instructions. Thank you ---

rpdom

Re: USB boot, PI3B+: followed instructions, doesn't work

Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:25 am

You don't need to set the OTP bit on the 3B+, it's set in the factory as standard.

If I used Windows, I'd use Etcher to write the image file to the USB stick, as it is easier to use than the old Win32 Disk Imager program.

Not all USB devices are compatible with the USB boot on the Pi, but I have found the 3B+ to be better than the 3B for that.

LTolledo

Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:20 am

below are the "USB sticks" that I've successfully used for native USB booting of RPi2B (rev1.2), RPi3B, and RPi3B+:
1. Transcend 16GB USB2.0
2. Toshiba 16GB USB2.0
3. SanDisk CruzerBlade 16GB USB2.0
4. SanDisk Cruzerfit 16GB USB2.0
5. SanDisk Cruzerfit 32GB USB2.0
6. SanDisk Cruzerfit 64GB USB2.0
7. SanDisk Flash Memory 128GB USB3.0

For USB Native boot using HDD/SSD I've successfully used the following:
a. 3.5" 250GB SATA HDD in self powered SATA to USB2.0 HDD case, using JMicron chipset
b. using Eluteng SATA to USB3.0 adapter cable: 2.5" 1TB, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs, 2.5" 1TB Marshall HDD, Sandisk SSD 240GB.
c. using Inateck SATA to USB3.0 adapter cable, same HDD/SSD as above.

Eluteng and Inateck adapters based on ASM1153 chipsets.

Native USB boot means no microSD in the microSD slot of RPi
Again those listed above are the ones that worked on my setups
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

messypotamia

Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:51 am

rpdom wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:25 am
You don't need to set the OTP bit on the 3B+, it's set in the factory as standard.
If I used Windows, I'd use Etcher to write the image file to the USB stick, as it is easier to use than the old Win32 Disk Imager program.
Not all USB devices are compatible with the USB boot on the Pi, but I have found the 3B+ to be better than the 3B for that.
And
LTolledo wrote: below are the "USB sticks" that I've successfully used for native USB booting of RPi2B (rev1.2), RPi3B, and RPi3B+:
1. Transcend 16GB USB2.0
2. Toshiba 16GB USB2.0
3. SanDisk CruzerBlade 16GB USB2.0
4. SanDisk Cruzerfit 16GB USB2.0
5. SanDisk Cruzerfit 32GB USB2.0
6. SanDisk Cruzerfit 64GB USB2.0
7. SanDisk Flash Memory 128GB USB3.0
Native USB boot means no microSD in the microSD slot of RPi
LToledo and rpdom, thanks for replying.
Of course on my initial trials of native usb boot I had the sd card out. But it eventually wound up just sitting there w/ the green light flashing 4 times & repeating. This time, the only thing I did different was I used Etcher instead of win32diskimager (v1.0). I must say that upon inspecting the /boot directory it created, it looked identical. (Although Etcher gave me an error on my Win7 laptop about the device needing formatting, a few minutes later it said 'Complete', that's when I inserted the usb into my Pi & mounted the sda1 & sda2 to give a quick look at contents, and it looked fine so I proceeded).
Removed SD, inserted USB (Sandisk UltraFit 3.0 32G), plugged the hdmi, plugged power, and a few moments later a rainbow splash screen appeared, then words about resizing a partition then rebooting, and it rebooted. When it rebooted it did nothing, and the green light started flashing four times again, so I decided to try cycling power, and this time it booted up.
I'm wondering if maybe the first times (Win32DiskImager) it actually booted but when I saw the green 4-flash I thought it was unable to find the boot partition, and I should have power cycled. I'll never know because I'm not going thru that again. ;)
Again if you have any "here's what happened and the lesson you should've learned", I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

pws

Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:07 am

LToledo and rpdom, thanks for replying.
Of course on my initial trials of native usb boot I had the sd card out. But it eventually wound up just sitting there w/ the green light flashing 4 times & repeating. This time, the only thing I did different was I used Etcher instead of win32diskimager (v1.0). I must say that upon inspecting the /boot directory it created, it looked identical. (Although Etcher gave me an error on my Win7 laptop about the device needing formatting, a few minutes later it said 'Complete', that's when I inserted the usb into my Pi & mounted the sda1 & sda2 to give a quick look at contents, and it looked fine so I proceeded).
Removed SD, inserted USB (Sandisk UltraFit 3.0 32G), plugged the hdmi, plugged power, and a few moments later a rainbow splash screen appeared, then words about resizing a partition then rebooting, and it rebooted. When it rebooted it did nothing, and the green light started flashing four times again, so I decided to try cycling power, and this time it booted up.
I'm wondering if maybe the first times (Win32DiskImager) it actually booted but when I saw the green 4-flash I thought it was unable to find the boot partition, and I should have power cycled. I'll never know because I'm not going thru that again. ;)
Again if you have any "here's what happened and the lesson you should've learned", I'd appreciate it. Thanks!
It appears that a CONFIRMATION was given to Windows desire to format the device you just loaded the image to!

I suggest you just rewrite Raspian again using Etcher and give it another try.

Be sure to ABORT any request(s) to format anything!

Return to “Advanced users”